Used 2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 150 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

DO NOT BUY THIS MODEL CAR!
By Jeff

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my 2006 PT brand new,and 4 clutches and over $4000 spent just on the 4 clutches later I still have the car. Just replaced the 3rd radiator. First clutch went out at 20,000 miles and Chrysler would not cover that because they said it was wear and tear. No I don't ride the clutch, either. The vehicle weighs 3300 pounds and drives and feels heavy, in fact it has a truck chassis. i just bought a top of the line Toyota Avalon 2015 that weighs about the same as the little PT. Expect the PT to have a very poor turning radius, but comfortable inside. Very disappointing gas mileage for a 5 speed, I never got better than 21-23 in the city, I expected better. Overall I have spend more on repairs and rental cars over the years than I paid for this car, keeping the car only because I had no other options. Just spend over $2000 on a timing belt (I just have 120,000 miles) and another $450 on a radiator, the third one. I guess I'm a glutton for punishment. Some things I do like, the back seat folds down and the storage capacity for a small car is excellent. If your considering this car, I would totally stay away from the 5 speed at any cost and keep in mind the older model cars (like mine) have timing belts instead of timing chains, much more expensive to replace, so make sure you check that out before buying any PT model.

So far 3 and counting !
By Ed Glowacki

Old faithful
By John Wilde

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new, now has 77,000 miles. One of top 5 of over 85 cars I have owned. Reminds me of my Renault 16, with all of its virtues and few of the annoyances. Great road car. We actually preferred it to the Volvo V70 T5 and Buick Lesabre we owned. Quiet, comfortable, great cargo space. Reliable: only timing belt and brakes replaced at 75,000 miles. My wife and I can't understand why some people hate this car.

Great Looking Car - Lots of Issues!
By Susan E. Craig-Gilson

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in 2009 with 43K miles. Within 3 years had to replace the entire back end of car - sometimes certain pieces TWICE! Get only 18 to 19 mpg in the city; maximum I've seen is only 23 mpg and that was only once. Now it seems like I have to replace things in the front. This car is not driven like a maniac; I drive it very safely. Bad vision out of the right window; you can't see cars on the right side. Costs about $50.00 to fill a tank - every week. Fits a lot of stuff inside and is extremely attractive but very expensive on mechanical problems and for gas. Fabric seats are starting to rip (no, I have no pets or children in the car)

Nice interior; very easy to use. Beautiful outside, too.

They could have made so many more options available; moon roof or sun roof, special "vintage" looking back window, hood ornament, etc. Something is seriously wrong with the front and back end of the car with the suspension.

The small red pt
By opcfan

2006 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car used in a very good shape with a manual. After a new clutch and a full tune-up i drove this car from Nyc to Miami and back. The car was extremely comfortable, able to cruise at 90-100mph with no drama, good handling and 30mpg. Driving in stop and go traffic and getting 20 mpg is not fun but hear compliments from old people. The car never had a mechanical issue.

Roomy interior, sliding armrest, dashboard design, diagnostic system.

Cheap interior quality, foggy headlights, acceleration, fuel consumption