2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Review: Throw away car ? Not !

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Throw away car ? Not !
By 1924 on

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In '02 my TC by Maserati blew up/quit. After some time/research, I went to my Mopar dealer & told him I wanted a "Throw away car" I could abuse for 5 years hauling a 500 lb. show display & inventory. So, I ordered a brand new base PT Cruiser w/ disc. brakes (safety), radio upgrade, and cruise control. I've hauled most everything: show display, bricks, '38 car fenders, most all yard stuff, etc. Problem - I liked it. Added fog/driving lights & que ball shifter knob (4 spd.). Then, 16" mag wheels & tires. Next, replaced seats w/ some leather ones from a limited. Finished w/ a used Borla stainless exhaust. @ 84,000 mi. I've done the brakes, shift cable, shocks & struts, & drive shafts.

Its all black incl. bumpers ('02 came grey). It gets 2nd gear scratch w/ stock motor. Its reliable & I take it to car shows over 500 mi. all the time. Ordered a "Throw Away" and now can't find a replacement for it.

Chrysler needs a suitable replacement. Maybe Fiat could come out w/ a '48 Topolino Station Wagon retro car or one styled after the '50 Fiat 1100 Sedan & put a 180+ hp motor in it. I could get into that. The new Fiat 500L just doesn't have the looks.