2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
Worst Car Ever
By nat9 on 12/31/11 05:43 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most unreliable car I have ever owned. Several ongoing challenges; I have had to change camshaft sensor, powersteering line, window motors would constantly stick and windows wouldn,t move. Terrible with gas, I have to fill my tank twice per week. A/C stopped working after one year, only blows hot air. This car has cost me so much money. I purchased this car January 2006 and have owned it almost 5yrs. When I first purchased this car I felt it was too soon to write a review. Very dissapointed that I will need to purchase a new car again. When I am driving on the highway, i feel like the wind will blow the car away because of the flimsy, lite material it is made of.

What a Car
By tsgtret89 on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

My 2005 PT Convertible has been a great car. We did have a wheel bearing go and the roof/windows needed repair. Other than this, it is the first new car I have ever been happy with. I've owned GM cars, Fords and a couple rice burners. Non of them even begin to compare with the drivability and fun that this little car affords. Gas mileage is around 25 mpg, but it does have a turbo and 220 hp. It's too bad they are going to stop making a car that most every one loves. I'd buy mine all over again, but would really try to get a better price. $28,000.

Mr T's PT
By Mikey on 08/29/10 14:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my PT Touring Edition for 5.5 years. For the most part it has been a very reliable, consistent performer. I'm a big 6'3" guy and I test drove a lot of small SUV-type vehicles. The Cruiser was one of the few that gave me plenty of leg room without banging mt right knee into a center dashboard console. I kept to the maintenance schedule and after 71,000 miles, other than front brakes, tires and a leaking valve cover gasket I haven't had to put any money into it. Now for the bad news - it has a very wide turning circle which is very annoying trying to park in tight spots. The mpg is not that great for 2.4 4 liter engine and the engine is dog while running the AC.

Fun, not economical
By ResearchPaysOff on 08/07/10 00:59 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I love this car for what I bought it for, a fun, affordable, four seat convertible with a power top.

2005 PT Touring
By Lori on 08/05/10 14:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my PT for about two and half years. I went from a Dodge Ram 1500 to this small PT only due to the fact my Ram only got nine mpg and fuel was running $4.00 per gallon. Basically there is plenty of room, with the back seats up, for my two hunting dogs. This was the only reason I bought it, because of the large cargo area.

Fun Car
By Tom on 07/31/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a commuter's dream! The turbo engine is a monster on the highway with no hesitation, and the roll bar design is a real head turner. I drive this year round, and with the addition of studded snow tires in the winter, I have no issues with snow or any weather. The leather is heated, and the headlights are great for night driving. The only issue I have had are front wheel bearings, replaced them twice, but I highly recommend this car to anyone who likes the top down! Plenty of leg and head room, (I am over 6'1",) and easy to access the back seats for small people! My top MPG highway has been 27, however, I can only reach that using 93 octane fuel.

PT LOSER
By Arlisha Anderson on 07/19/10 11:07 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my PT Cruiser from Nissan Woodland Hills. It worked great for the first 4 years but now it keeps overheating! I now call it the pt loser or pity cruiser. Just don't buy one!

Desert Delight!
By Sunny on 06/19/10 16:16 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought this car used (CARFAX showed one owner with low mileage.) I love and have always driven convertibles. This one has a very tight body due to the roll bar with very low noise and /or rattling for a rag top. I get about 24 mpg around town. It' perfect top down in the Palm Springs autumn, winter and fall. For triple digit heat (100+F) in the desert summer, the triple insulated top and forceful a/c keep it very comfortable. The interior is roomy, even for a 6'2" guy like me. The "theater" seats put you in a higher position. I haven't had a single repair and the turbo provides high performance when needed. Fun to drive, attracts attention (I've had several offers to buy it) and reliable!

Frustrated with this car!
By Missy on 06/15/10 21:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

First I have to say I love the look of this car (I have a convertible) and it is fun to drive BUT the problems I have had are disappointing. First the computer was bad and it had to be towed 6 times before they found it. (That's me standing in a parking lot with a dead car that many times.) Luckily, then it was under warranty. Then the list began: the battery has exploded, the air conditioner went out and cost a thousand dollars, there is some kind of short they can't find that causes a pop and the dash to go out when I'm driving. I could go on. It's sad because I love it but I'm ready to punt! The amount of money I've had to spend on this car already is ridiculous.

Loved this car, but hated turning radius
By SuMo on 04/30/10 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was just in a wreck and totaled my car after 5 years and 55,000 miles. I can speak from experience - this car did wonderfully in a front end collision at 50 mph. I walked away unhurt. Now to the car itself: This car was reliable, never in the shop for any major repairs. I loved the leather seats and seat warmers. The top is so easy to put up and down - I commonly did it while waiting at a stoplight. It had decent trunk space and could easily accommodate 4 passengers. My major complaints with this car were the poor gas mileage (mid/high teens in the city) and the worst turning radius of any car I have ever driven. The car also had some pretty significant blind spots when the top was up.