2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
pleasant surprise
By kb5868 on 05/13/14 08:12 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2005 PT in 2007 with 11k miles as a 16th birthday gift for my daughter, with the plan it would get her through college and then "throw it away". Well, now at 50k miles and 7 years later, this has been the most trouble free car ever. The plan was to sell it and use the proceeds on a new car, but it still looks and drive as new, she still loves it and for the $5000-6000 it's worth, is still half what I paid 7 years ago. Huge value in my mind.

Throw away car ? Not !
By 1924 on 05/05/14 15:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

In '02 my TC by Maserati blew up/quit. After some time/research, I went to my Mopar dealer & told him I wanted a "Throw away car" I could abuse for 5 years hauling a 500 lb. show display & inventory. So, I ordered a brand new base PT Cruiser w/ disc. brakes (safety), radio upgrade, and cruise control. I've hauled most everything: show display, bricks, '38 car fenders, most all yard stuff, etc. Problem - I liked it. Added fog/driving lights & que ball shifter knob (4 spd.). Then, 16" mag wheels & tires. Next, replaced seats w/ some leather ones from a limited. Finished w/ a used Borla stainless exhaust. @ 84,000 mi. I've done the brakes, shift cable, shocks & struts, & drive shafts.

second times a charm?
By apodpaula on 01/23/13 15:38 PM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new and loved it, since then not so much. At 30K had to have motor replaced because of bad head. At 40K, needed rear end work, now at 58K I find out I have to have motor replaced/rebuilt for a second time due to a oil leak in the head gasket. I'm told by the dealership that it will be covered. We will see. After it was fixed the first time, I tried to fall in love with it again, but the honeymoon is over.

Worst Car Ever
By nat9 on 12/31/11 05:43 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car is the most unreliable car I have ever owned. Several ongoing challenges; I have had to change camshaft sensor, powersteering line, window motors would constantly stick and windows wouldn,t move. Terrible with gas, I have to fill my tank twice per week. A/C stopped working after one year, only blows hot air. This car has cost me so much money. I purchased this car January 2006 and have owned it almost 5yrs. When I first purchased this car I felt it was too soon to write a review. Very dissapointed that I will need to purchase a new car again. When I am driving on the highway, i feel like the wind will blow the car away because of the flimsy, lite material it is made of.

Mr T's PT
By Mikey on 08/29/10 14:54 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my PT Touring Edition for 5.5 years. For the most part it has been a very reliable, consistent performer. I'm a big 6'3" guy and I test drove a lot of small SUV-type vehicles. The Cruiser was one of the few that gave me plenty of leg room without banging mt right knee into a center dashboard console. I kept to the maintenance schedule and after 71,000 miles, other than front brakes, tires and a leaking valve cover gasket I haven't had to put any money into it. Now for the bad news - it has a very wide turning circle which is very annoying trying to park in tight spots. The mpg is not that great for 2.4 4 liter engine and the engine is dog while running the AC.

2005 PT Touring
By Lori on 08/05/10 14:27 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my PT for about two and half years. I went from a Dodge Ram 1500 to this small PT only due to the fact my Ram only got nine mpg and fuel was running $4.00 per gallon. Basically there is plenty of room, with the back seats up, for my two hunting dogs. This was the only reason I bought it, because of the large cargo area.

2nd Update
By 1month on 04/26/10 10:24 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This is an update after about 1 month of owning my PT GT. The new has now worn off, and its true colors are coming out. I don't know if there is a little something not right about it, or if its normal for a turbo, but it seems to lack power. Taking off from a stoplight, the rpms easily push near 3000, but the acceleration is still just 'normal'. Some days seems better than others, though. Bottom line: when you floor it, it goes pretty strongly, but under normal driving, its nothing to phone home about.

"Just Bought" Evaluation
By newptowner on 04/05/10 11:54 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I just bought this 05 PT Cruiser GT with 31,000 miles last week, so I don't know all about the car yet; this is just to give my initial thoughts about the car. So far I absolutely love the car. The only downside to driving it I have found so far is when you start it, it sounds like a common, weak 4-banger that will make your right leg sore to drive it. Of course then you put it in drive, barely touch the throttle and it takes off like a rocket, all while the motor sounds like its barely even trying. While driving down the road, just imagine you have a very powerful v6 engine under the hood, and you will never know the difference. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Raditor
By Chuck P on 03/28/10 05:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a very reliable car, it's not going to win any drag races, but considering the fuel economy and the spacious amount of interior room, the car is very good. Only negative I've had; is I had to replace the radiator at only 70,000 miles, as the bottom valve was leaking, and not repairable, had to purchase another radiator.

Cheated
By Ron on 03/26/10 19:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Oil leaking unreliable crappie car and will never be a sucker to anything made by Chrysler. Bought new and now have a 5 year history of problems. 7 year 70,000 mile warranty. I have 72,000 miles on it now and the camshaft seal blows pouring out oil. At 3700 miles just 2 months old engine pulled for oil leaks. Chrysler won't help with warranty just 2000 miles over and history of this lemon even under the 7 years. The engine needs taken completely out and apart to find the problem. I feel cheated and wont waste any more money on it. Gonna go back to Ford. The most reliable vehicle I ever owned was a 1993 Ford tempo.