Used 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chrysler Pt-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

2005 PT Cruiser Turbo 5speed....
By smokinghalo

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

LOVE this car. I bought it to replace my falling apart 1998 Honda Accord. Sure I've had some mechanical issues with it, but nothing that's left me stranded. Car came with the extended Chrysler Gold Plan that covered the front control arms (common problem, the bushings like to fail), the oil pressure switch (common failure in a LOT of Mopars) and the front wheel bearings. I work for a dealer so I know the issues these have (multifunction switch, wiper nozzles like to die, but the biggest problem was the control arms. The A/C suction line died too but that was also covered under warranty. Gas mileage sucks, but hey, it's a 220HP turbo monster convertible!

Favorite Features

SUPER comfy front seats, great for long distance driving. My old Honda used to make my butt sore on long distance road trips. I also like the window regulators automatically drop a bit when the front doors are opened and pop back up when the doors close. Great for keeping the rain out.

Fun Car
By Tom

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a commuter's dream! The turbo engine is a monster on the highway with no hesitation, and the roll bar design is a real head turner. I drive this year round, and with the addition of studded snow tires in the winter, I have no issues with snow or any weather. The leather is heated, and the headlights are great for night driving. The only issue I have had are front wheel bearings, replaced them twice, but I highly recommend this car to anyone who likes the top down! Plenty of leg and head room, (I am over 6'1",) and easy to access the back seats for small people! My top MPG highway has been 27, however, I can only reach that using 93 octane fuel.

Favorite Features

The power top. I have put it up and down at red lights, stop signs and such, very quick. Looks great, 17" tires provide great handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better sound system. It is weak on the highway with the top down. Possibly loose the useless back seat...now that the model is no longer being made, these comments are dust..

Loved this car, but hated turning radius
By SuMo

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was just in a wreck and totaled my car after 5 years and 55,000 miles. I can speak from experience - this car did wonderfully in a front end collision at 50 mph. I walked away unhurt. Now to the car itself: This car was reliable, never in the shop for any major repairs. I loved the leather seats and seat warmers. The top is so easy to put up and down - I commonly did it while waiting at a stoplight. It had decent trunk space and could easily accommodate 4 passengers. My major complaints with this car were the poor gas mileage (mid/high teens in the city) and the worst turning radius of any car I have ever driven. The car also had some pretty significant blind spots when the top was up.

Favorite Features

Easy, fast mechanism for putting top down/up. Comfy heated leather seats Looks great with the top down Unique - there aren't many PT cruiser convertibles out there I walked away from a front collision at 50mph unhurt

Suggested Improvements

Really needs better gas mileage and a better turning radius. I am not buying another PT cruiser because of that and the blind spots.

Piece of Junk
By delrosen

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Avoid the temptation of buying this car with the thoughts of cruising with the top down. Severe suspension problem. Major repairs/replacements required, including control arms and hub bearing before the car even had 40,000 miles. Now the motor mounts have failed at 41500. Looking through other reviews, I see the same issues reported. Wish I'd found this site and read the reviews prior to my purchase.

Suggested Improvements

It's good that Chrysler killed this car.

Not a great purchase
By John

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for 3 years and have had a lot of problems door seals replaced 6,000 miles Horrible fuel economy from day 1 15 mpg city 18 hwy premium fuel dealer said would improve with driving 21000 miles now and no better new stereo 8000 miles new wheel bearings 19000 miles has been in shop often Chrysler does not offer rentals either pd 34,000.00 very loaded Inferno Red Gorgeous car they said it was not a high end model like a 300M or Aspen or Crossfire just a PT Cruiser Chrysler no help either Took to another dealer same excuses now just parked till lease up have 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe company car excellent gas mileage and very reliable Hyundai honors their warranty

Favorite Features

Good pick up, Looks Great

Suggested Improvements

Bad Gas Mileage, Poor reliability, Bad service, warranty as good as company backing it will never buy another Chrysler