Used 2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

Design Flaws Kill this car for me.
By aut0savant

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

The problems start by design. This car is not user friendly when it comes to roadside emergency. the way the engine is set up, its almost impossible to simply replace a tire under an hour. the spare tire retainer is bolted under the car that must be accessed from the trunk. If you ever wanted to replace your spare tire with a full sized tire, the retainer is far to small. The thermostat retainer is very poorly designed. Chrysler has made it in such a way that its almost necessary to remove the intake manifold rather work around/under it. When the thermostat seizes -- rather than have a high-pressure release, it will just rupture a hose (usually the smallest near the air filter.)

My 2005 PT Cruiser GT 2.4 Turbo is very fun to drive, fairly reliable car with little problems that occur. Its easy to maintain with easily accessible fluid containers that are easily identifiable the moment you open the hood.

The car makes a lot of noise. Everything from the sqeaks you hear from the suspension and frame to the unignorable turbo spool you hear at cuizing speed. Much more testing needed to be done before this car went into mass production. Over-all it has stood the test of time however the cons of driving this car daily wear on you over time.

No More Blues!
By garcande

Well, it's finally fixed. I have a convertible again! You'll recall from my last review that I was still waiting for the parts from Chrysler which may/ or not come in December. I decided to search the web again for rebuilt parts. I finally found a company in Oregon that rebuilds the cylinders better than new. Better yet, they have an exchange policy that allows you to get the new parts up front and return the old ones for a credit. The Chrysler service team actually had to call them to find out how to install them, as they only know how to replace the complete unit (which you can't get)! I must say they were very helpful and I'm sure they never want to see me again. That's all for now!

More Blues from Chrysler
By garcande

Well folks, I'm still waiting for the convertible top motor. I had to pay $762.00 back in June before they would order the part and they still can't say when it will come in. It's missed two due dates and now they're saying December, maybe. They can't give me an explanation, either. Other than that the car has been running fine, though I only drive 10 miles a day to and from work. That's all for now.

Still Got the PT Cruiser Blues
By garcande

Hi, it's me again. I've already told you about the AC going out and the top not going up or down. Now, after I picked it up from the mechanic the last time it started making a thumping noise in the front right. I thought it was something the mechanic had done, but no, it was the right front motor mount! Now, Chrysler recommends you PULL the engine to replace the mount, but my man said he didn't have to do that. Only cost $700 this time. And by the way, he said, there were only 2 out of 4 bolts holding the mount on and that's why it broke! Also only 2 out 4 bolts on the power steering pump at only 27K miles! To be continued...

The PT Cruiser Blues
By garcande

I recently purchased a beautiful 05 Cruiser Touring Convertible with only 26,000 one owner miles. I bought it from the local Lexus dealer who said it was a trade in. It looks immaculate and garage kept. I had driven about 1000 miles when the electric top riser went out. I took it to my mechanic, he tinkered around with it, but said it wasn't his area of expertise and he was going on vacation. The next day the air conditioner went out. I took it to another mechanic and it was the compressor, of course, and cost $1200 to fix. By contrast, the air on my 96 VW just went at 15K miles! And, I still haven't fixed the top. To be continued...

Love the design but not the engineering.

This car was built during the Chrysler/Mercedes merger but you wouldn't know it.