2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
No More Blues!
By garcande on 10/24/13 15:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible Touring 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Well, it's finally fixed. I have a convertible again! You'll recall from my last review that I was still waiting for the parts from Chrysler which may/ or not come in December. I decided to search the web again for rebuilt parts. I finally found a company in Oregon that rebuilds the cylinders better than new. Better yet, they have an exchange policy that allows you to get the new parts up front and return the old ones for a credit. The Chrysler service team actually had to call them to find out how to install them, as they only know how to replace the complete unit (which you can't get)! I must say they were very helpful and I'm sure they never want to see me again. That's all for now!

More Blues from Chrysler
By garcande on 09/27/13 13:36 PM (PDT)

Well folks, I'm still waiting for the convertible top motor. I had to pay $762.00 back in June before they would order the part and they still can't say when it will come in. It's missed two due dates and now they're saying December, maybe. They can't give me an explanation, either. Other than that the car has been running fine, though I only drive 10 miles a day to and from work. That's all for now.

Still Got the PT Cruiser Blues
By garcande on 05/31/13 20:50 PM (PDT)

Hi, it's me again. I've already told you about the AC going out and the top not going up or down. Now, after I picked it up from the mechanic the last time it started making a thumping noise in the front right. I thought it was something the mechanic had done, but no, it was the right front motor mount! Now, Chrysler recommends you PULL the engine to replace the mount, but my man said he didn't have to do that. Only cost $700 this time. And by the way, he said, there were only 2 out of 4 bolts holding the mount on and that's why it broke! Also only 2 out 4 bolts on the power steering pump at only 27K miles! To be continued...

The PT Cruiser Blues
By garcande on 05/24/13 22:45 PM (PDT)

I recently purchased a beautiful 05 Cruiser Touring Convertible with only 26,000 one owner miles. I bought it from the local Lexus dealer who said it was a trade in. It looks immaculate and garage kept. I had driven about 1000 miles when the electric top riser went out. I took it to my mechanic, he tinkered around with it, but said it wasn't his area of expertise and he was going on vacation. The next day the air conditioner went out. I took it to another mechanic and it was the compressor, of course, and cost $1200 to fix. By contrast, the air on my 96 VW just went at 15K miles! And, I still haven't fixed the top. To be continued...

Great car!!!
By benjamincmh on 04/25/13 23:43 PM (PDT)

I drove this car from ohio to San Diego california with no issues love this car I brought it used with over 80,000 miles on it almost a year ago and drove it recently from ohio to california I never changed anything or had any issues car is great !!!

2005 PT Cruiser Turbo 5speed....
By smokinghalo on 09/14/12 09:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

LOVE this car. I bought it to replace my falling apart 1998 Honda Accord. Sure I've had some mechanical issues with it, but nothing that's left me stranded. Car came with the extended Chrysler Gold Plan that covered the front control arms (common problem, the bushings like to fail), the oil pressure switch (common failure in a LOT of Mopars) and the front wheel bearings. I work for a dealer so I know the issues these have (multifunction switch, wiper nozzles like to die, but the biggest problem was the control arms. The A/C suction line died too but that was also covered under warranty. Gas mileage sucks, but hey, it's a 220HP turbo monster convertible!

My PT Cruiser Convertible
By bilmac1 on 08/16/12 10:12 AM (PDT)

I simply love my PT Convertible, it has served me very well, no engine problems, no major problems at all, just routine maintenance, and I have had it for 7 years! It gets decent gas mileage, not like some of today's models are getting, but who can really complain about 20 miles per gallon of 75% town and 25% highway miles.

What a Car
By tsgtret89 on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

My 2005 PT Convertible has been a great car. We did have a wheel bearing go and the roof/windows needed repair. Other than this, it is the first new car I have ever been happy with. I've owned GM cars, Fords and a couple rice burners. Non of them even begin to compare with the drivability and fun that this little car affords. Gas mileage is around 25 mpg, but it does have a turbo and 220 hp. It's too bad they are going to stop making a car that most every one loves. I'd buy mine all over again, but would really try to get a better price. $28,000.

Fun, not economical
By ResearchPaysOff on 08/07/10 00:59 AM (PDT)

I love this car for what I bought it for, a fun, affordable, four seat convertible with a power top.

Fun Car
By Tom on 07/31/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a commuter's dream! The turbo engine is a monster on the highway with no hesitation, and the roll bar design is a real head turner. I drive this year round, and with the addition of studded snow tires in the winter, I have no issues with snow or any weather. The leather is heated, and the headlights are great for night driving. The only issue I have had are front wheel bearings, replaced them twice, but I highly recommend this car to anyone who likes the top down! Plenty of leg and head room, (I am over 6'1",) and easy to access the back seats for small people! My top MPG highway has been 27, however, I can only reach that using 93 octane fuel.