2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
Very bad car
By Kris on 09/09/09 16:35 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has the worst turn radius! It also has lots of problems with the engine. My blew at 70,000 miles and Chrysler won't fix it. I advise you not to buy this car. I use to be so happy with it until a well taken care of blew for no reason.

Constant Repairs
By Frustrated on 11/27/08 15:09 PM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

When we first purchased the PT it seemed like a great vehicle. The gas mileage was always in the high 20's. Had maintanence preformed at the scheduled time and thought we were taking good care of it. Once the problems started the milage suffered and is around 22. At 28000 had the headgasket replace to take care of an oil leak at 48000 replaced the right and left lower control arms and bushings at 56000 the battery shorted out leaving the vehicle total dead at 58000 replaced spark plugs and wires and now the transmission seems to be having problems. Most of the miles are from the 60 mile round trip to work on the open highway. Never owned a vehicle with so many problems with this low of milage

Pay or Pay
By Buckskincolt on 12/20/07 16:36 PM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Don't buy a high maintenance PT, you need to change plugs every 30k, they get pathetic mileage 20city/24hwy. Brakes grind like they are shot but they are ok, I've had a head oil leak that Chrysler had a service bulletin on but made me pay because it was 1k out of warranty? And check your used trade value!! This car is only worth $5500 trade in if it were a Honda civic it would have a trade of $9300. This has got to be the worst car I have ever owned, sure it's cute but beyond than it is a poor excuse of an automobile. American automakers at work. Where is Lee Iacocca when you need him. This car is a fall back to the 70's when all Chrysler products weren't fit for the road. Think, don't buy!

Disappointed with Dodge
By linda of georgia on 11/11/07 08:38 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the pt cruiser because I liked the cute body style. I also trusted Dodge that it would last and hold it's value. I was wrong. It did not last, the brakes were bad in just a few weeks, the plugs and wires wore out quickly, and now the timing chain has slipped, which is a great cost to me. The worst part of the deal is that It's value has decreased so badly that I cannot get a decent trade in value on any car. I feel I was ripped off and sold a car at an exorbatant price, that the dealer knew would not be worth it's owed value when I wanted to trade. I am disappointed and feel the car industry has lived up to it's reputation of over charging and over-representing used cars.

1st PT Cruiser
By Jeff on 03/24/07 12:03 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first PT. I have wanted one since inception and finally got it. I love the uniqueness about this car. Although they really need to address the fuel economy issue and engine size, other than that the car performs very well. I would also like to see the crash test results as I have three children that love to ride in it. The interior has amazing headroom and legroom, although controls for the rear windows need to be placed elsewhere. Storage space is large for grocery runs. I have checked online for add-ons and found literally hundreds of different things that I can "trick" out my PT to make it even more unique. I would definitely purchase another when this one wears out.

A Good Choice
By Mike M. on 11/08/06 00:12 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I haven't had my PT for that long but so far I love it. I needed to get a car quickly as my old car died and after a few days of trying to figure out what I could afford I found the PT offered the most for the price. For the mileage and car payment I wanted to be within, I could only afford a used economy car. I got my Certified Used PT with a great warranty and it doesn't feel or look like an economy car. I feel like I am driving something unique, a car that anyone can love; rich or poor, young or old, male or female, and so on. I can't think of any other well priced car which has more appeal and original styling. Corolla, Civic, Cobalt, Focus, Elantra = forgettable.

Lots of Storage and Comfy Ride
By Dee on 05/07/06 05:23 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I rented a 2006 Touring Wagon before I settled on a 2005 Limited Ed. The seats in the Limited were much more comfortable, and seat comfort was my "only" issue in the rental. I purchased a former rental vehicle and saved oodles off a new car PT price as a result (didn't take a hit on first year depreciation). I took my four (good sized) teenagers for a ride with the spouse and went shopping. Three teens in the back seat rated that back seat a unanimous "thumbs up". After grocery shopping and a few other stops, we still had room in the trunk! Even my husband, who is 6'1" and 245 pounds, found the ride comfortable, especially head room. My family thinks I finally bought a "cool" car!

Safety in a small car
By Carolyn on 04/18/06 18:33 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This is a small car with good fuel economy. Totally fun to drive around town especially to zip into small spaces where other vehicles cannot park. The freeway I feel is a scary proposition. My concern is the size and I have not been able to find any web sites that list the PT Cruiser for a crash rating. When you are sitting behind the steering wheel of the Cruiser the dash appears to be 18" to 2' in front of you, but the hood looks like it is only extended about 8" beyond that. Kinda scary. I realize it is the optics that give that impression, but I feel I deserve to feel safe in my car. Putting this car in cruise control is awkward as is having the gas tank on the right side.

Room for a big guy
By mackama on 04/07/06 10:05 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My wife has always liked the PT, and when it was time to replace her Ford ZX2, went went looking for a four door to make it easier for our grandchild. After driving the PT, we were sold. They did just about everything right. Its only drawback is the fuel ecomomy. We went from over 30 mpg with the ZX2 to under 26 with the PT.

john's PT
By John Mitchell on 03/16/06 11:20 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I dont have anything at all bad to say about the car. I'm glad that I purchased the turbo.