2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
2005 PT Cruiser Turbo 5speed....
By smokinghalo on 09/14/12 09:28 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

LOVE this car. I bought it to replace my falling apart 1998 Honda Accord. Sure I've had some mechanical issues with it, but nothing that's left me stranded. Car came with the extended Chrysler Gold Plan that covered the front control arms (common problem, the bushings like to fail), the oil pressure switch (common failure in a LOT of Mopars) and the front wheel bearings. I work for a dealer so I know the issues these have (multifunction switch, wiper nozzles like to die, but the biggest problem was the control arms. The A/C suction line died too but that was also covered under warranty. Gas mileage sucks, but hey, it's a 220HP turbo monster convertible!

Fun Car
By Tom on 07/31/10 05:53 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

This car has been a commuter's dream! The turbo engine is a monster on the highway with no hesitation, and the roll bar design is a real head turner. I drive this year round, and with the addition of studded snow tires in the winter, I have no issues with snow or any weather. The leather is heated, and the headlights are great for night driving. The only issue I have had are front wheel bearings, replaced them twice, but I highly recommend this car to anyone who likes the top down! Plenty of leg and head room, (I am over 6'1",) and easy to access the back seats for small people! My top MPG highway has been 27, however, I can only reach that using 93 octane fuel.

Loved this car, but hated turning radius
By SuMo on 04/30/10 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I was just in a wreck and totaled my car after 5 years and 55,000 miles. I can speak from experience - this car did wonderfully in a front end collision at 50 mph. I walked away unhurt. Now to the car itself: This car was reliable, never in the shop for any major repairs. I loved the leather seats and seat warmers. The top is so easy to put up and down - I commonly did it while waiting at a stoplight. It had decent trunk space and could easily accommodate 4 passengers. My major complaints with this car were the poor gas mileage (mid/high teens in the city) and the worst turning radius of any car I have ever driven. The car also had some pretty significant blind spots when the top was up.

Piece of Junk
By delrosen on 11/22/08 16:20 PM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Avoid the temptation of buying this car with the thoughts of cruising with the top down. Severe suspension problem. Major repairs/replacements required, including control arms and hub bearing before the car even had 40,000 miles. Now the motor mounts have failed at 41500. Looking through other reviews, I see the same issues reported. Wish I'd found this site and read the reviews prior to my purchase.

Not a great purchase
By John on 02/12/08 08:56 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I have had this car for 3 years and have had a lot of problems door seals replaced 6,000 miles Horrible fuel economy from day 1 15 mpg city 18 hwy premium fuel dealer said would improve with driving 21000 miles now and no better new stereo 8000 miles new wheel bearings 19000 miles has been in shop often Chrysler does not offer rentals either pd 34,000.00 very loaded Inferno Red Gorgeous car they said it was not a high end model like a 300M or Aspen or Crossfire just a PT Cruiser Chrysler no help either Took to another dealer same excuses now just parked till lease up have 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe company car excellent gas mileage and very reliable Hyundai honors their warranty

After 3 years and 35,000 miles I think..
By Scott n Buffalo on 11/26/07 10:07 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

After owning the car for 3 years overall I have mixed feelings. I went into this car after driving Honda/Subaru products and Chrysler failed to meet the bar set. I have been at the dealership at least once per month since getting the car – several control arms, molding items, and various suspension components broke during the first few years of ownership. Also, the initial fuel economy was terrible, but something happened right around 10,000 mile where both city and highway miles doubled.

GT Turbo Convertible Cruiser
By kbcliff on 09/20/07 10:08 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Reliable and fun to drive. Turbo is excellent when power is needed. Comfortable interior.

Sad the lease is up
By Scott from Buffalo on 07/12/07 05:52 AM (PDT)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I purchased my 5spd GT w/heated seats nearly 3 years ago and am sad my time with the car is coming to an end. Overall, this is a great vehicle to own if you live in a snowy area since it is FWD and very heavy. While many others have complained of poor fuel economy, I have found the winter traction trade off worth the thirst the vehicle has for premium fuel. In fact, I motored by many SUV this past winter stuck in the ice and snow; the car just cannot be stopped in the snow. I have had few mechanical problems with the car, nothing more then I had with my previous two Honda’s. I am shopping this week, and will drive the Eos and Solara, but think I will purchase another.

PT Cruiser Convertable
By Van Johnson on 02/07/07 09:18 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I haven't own this long , but it seems to be ( for the price ) ok. I do feel it bounce around when you hit bumps in the road and if your not use to it ,it will scare you . The fuel mileage isn't that good ( to me anyways ),you only get about 16 to 17 miles to the gallon in the city ( with a strong tail wind ) I gave up a 2002 Monte Carlo which avg. 19 miles to the gal. in the city for this and would never do it again !!! This is my WIFE'S car and she LOVE'S it !, so as long as she is happy, I can Put up with it!!

Loved the car but always in shop
By akiva96 on 01/23/07 06:48 AM (PST)

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I loved this car initially but in the less than 3 years I owned it I had to have the front wheel bearings replaced, as well as the front suspension rebuilt and/or replaced (depending on the component) the steering was becoming clunky (maybe a CV joint issue?) and the front speakers failed. I finally got tired of dropping the car off at the dealer every other weekend and traded it in for another car. (Not a Chrysler!!!!)