2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
This is why Chrysler needs bailed out!
By scott on 05/21/09 11:52 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had everything go wrong! Spark plugs, front control arms (which is every single pt out there!), motor mount cracked, timing belt, rear windshield motor, battery at 90,000, transmission fluid was dirty, inside electrical display! Need I go on? Not really considering I gave it back to Chrysler! They stink never again!

Will be getting a 2nd Cruiser
By PT Convert on 11/23/08 01:57 AM (PST)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have manual transmission, & has been the best MPG of any 4 cylinder vehicle I have owned - 33 mpg is top, but consistently get 30 mpg. (Keep records at every purchase.) Removed the back seats (takes a minute) & gas mileage went up by aprox. 3 mpg. Actually feels better on road without back seats. Hauled a washer, dishwasher & 8 ft 2x4's in it with no problems (hatch closed). Has more cargo room than Jeeps & Chevy Trackers. No repairs (normal maintenance) or problems. Do my own oil change, & love the access to oil filter and plug. Wish all vehicles were that accessible. Plugs: only use standard, not platinum: these will cause running problems. Love it and want to get 2nd!

Very Fun
By LUVITTTTT on 09/19/07 20:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had no problems with the PT Cruiser at all. Much more power than I expected. All the controls are very handy. Had the car for almost 8 months and found a drawer under the passenger seat recently that had remained hidden. Always surprised by it's performance and Let's face it.The look really cool!

04 Cruiser
By RetiredPT on 08/09/07 16:01 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had to make 2 repairs The lower control arm bushing at around 52,000 cost $530 and the cooling fan at 67000 $900. I don't think these items should have worn out at the low mileage.

Pretty nice little car
By Kathy on 08/07/07 09:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A good car, strong and reliable. Great around town, and fine on the freeway. The only problem we've had is with the idle when the AC is on, but if you turn the AC off it's fine, and we didn't notice this when we first had the car so maybe it's the AC.

Dependable but uncomfortable
By Donna on 08/21/06 12:25 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My cruiser is very dependable, it had a little over 10,000 miles when I bought it and 15 months later it has almost 50,000! I like driving it, but the seats have to be the most uncomfortable seats I've ever experienced. Like a park bench. And it has no guts at all, none. The fuel economy is very poor. Much worse that the sticker said. The fun part of the car is all the extras that you can get. Unfortunately, the resale value is a joke. If you purchase from a dealer, after the 1st year, your upside down & it won't be worth even close to what you owe on it.

PT Cruiser a Multi-Mission car!
By Bob Campbell on 04/22/06 16:12 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My Electric Blue PT is just a terrific car value. At just under $15,000 this "BASE" auto has Air Conditioning, Power Windows..Power Brakes, A CD player with 6 speakers, a spoiler, deep tinted windows and alloy wheels. I really wanted a 5 speed manual for the fuel economy and the dealer was happy to sell it because most people today want the automatic transmission. (I think this car had been sitting for quite a while just because it was a "standard" transmission) Even with the 5 speed..fuel economy is not too good. Some owners I hear average less than 20mpg with the automatic. The fit & finish on these Mexican made cars are just outstanding! The interior is full of top grade materials too!

Not Bad At All
By bm on 12/21/05 17:55 PM (PST)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Comfortable and roomy. Seating is excellent, seats fold and remove for more space although they are very heavy. Mechanically sound except for an occasional miss in the engine too infrequent to worry about. Back brakes squeal, took it into the dealer and $30.00 later I was told there is no problem with them and they continue to squeal. Gas mileage is lousy and acceleration is poor. I knew these problems before I purchased it and its pretty much the same across the board, ( gas mileage and acceleration) but am happy with the car, would recommend it to other people, and would probably buy another one.

One of the Best Vehicles I Have Owned
By Hutchmonkey on 10/23/05 13:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The PT is one of the best vehicles for the money that I have owned. Road noise is minimal, with no vibrations, rattles, etc. The interior comfort is adequate, with lots of headroom and leg room. I am 6ft/260 lbs. and am very comfortable in the driver's seat. The only problem I have had was a "skip" in the engine - the dealer replaced the plugs and plug wires (free) and that took care of the problem. Gas mileage averages 28-30 highway and 19-20 city. The best feature is the versatility of the cargo space. I do clowning/magic shows, and the storage space allows me to carry all of my props with easy access. Distinctive body style also appealed to me. This has been a wonderful car!

Awesome Ride!
By KLP1102 on 10/17/05 05:26 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We've even been to California and back, Since we had no problems, Three of us rode comfortably and had room for all the stuff, We're off to Nevada next! Our Nieces & Nephews even Love to cruise in it as much as we do.