Used 2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

This is why Chrysler needs bailed out!
By scott

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had everything go wrong! Spark plugs, front control arms (which is every single pt out there!), motor mount cracked, timing belt, rear windshield motor, battery at 90,000, transmission fluid was dirty, inside electrical display! Need I go on? Not really considering I gave it back to Chrysler! They stink never again!

Interior looks nice and comfortable to ride in!

Stop making them!

Will be getting a 2nd Cruiser
By PT Convert

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Have manual transmission, & has been the best MPG of any 4 cylinder vehicle I have owned - 33 mpg is top, but consistently get 30 mpg. (Keep records at every purchase.) Removed the back seats (takes a minute) & gas mileage went up by aprox. 3 mpg. Actually feels better on road without back seats. Hauled a washer, dishwasher & 8 ft 2x4's in it with no problems (hatch closed). Has more cargo room than Jeeps & Chevy Trackers. No repairs (normal maintenance) or problems. Do my own oil change, & love the access to oil filter and plug. Wish all vehicles were that accessible. Plugs: only use standard, not platinum: these will cause running problems. Love it and want to get 2nd!

The manual shift rocks! (and hard to find!) Removable back seats are awesome - so easy to put in and take out. Rear wiper & washer is nice touch, along with adjustable shelf in trunk.

Would love to see an "El-Camino" style version of this vehicle. The front air dam under the bumper scrapes some curb-stops in parking lots. It could be made a bit higher. Nothing else could use improvement!

Very Fun
By LUVITTTTT

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had no problems with the PT Cruiser at all. Much more power than I expected. All the controls are very handy. Had the car for almost 8 months and found a drawer under the passenger seat recently that had remained hidden. Always surprised by it's performance and Let's face it.The look really cool!

04 Cruiser
By RetiredPT

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had to make 2 repairs The lower control arm bushing at around 52,000 cost $530 and the cooling fan at 67000 $900. I don't think these items should have worn out at the low mileage.

Front seats, simple but comfortable I can drive all day with out a problem

Improved fuel economy. I only get 23mpg in town and sometimed 26 mpg on the highway.

Pretty nice little car
By Kathy

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A good car, strong and reliable. Great around town, and fine on the freeway. The only problem we've had is with the idle when the AC is on, but if you turn the AC off it's fine, and we didn't notice this when we first had the car so maybe it's the AC.

Everyone likes a PT, we get lots of comments. Nice car for a teenager, fun to drive and hip but not too fast for their own good. Roomy and fun to drive. Back seat even good for Grandma! Very handy roll up back seats that can be removed to carry larger things, useful!

I'd like side airbags to be standard, turning circle to be smaller, and better noise insulation/protection on some roads.