2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
A FUN-TO-DRIVE, VERSATILE CAR
By citygal57 on 10/29/13 16:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I purchased my 2004 PT Cruiser GT a year ago after an auto accident had totaled my 2001 Ford Escort (no great loss). I had driven one previously as a rental in Florida and fell in love with it. When I bought it a year ago, it was fully loaded, all chrome, leather interior, great sound system, automatic seats, sun roof, spoiler, etc. It was a one owner vehicle and had around 55,000 miles on it; I paid about $6,000 for it.

Average Vehicle
By nightfrog65 on 04/08/13 18:26 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Wife owns one of these, so I get a chance to drive occasionally. Not overly impressed with this car, but don't hate it. Acceleration is average, but the engine seems under-powered for the weight of the vehicle. The turbo version is better. Wife's car is auto-perhaps the 5 speed is better suited for the engine. Working on vehicle is difficult for many tasks given that engine is tightly wedged in compartment-changing timing belt and water pump is a real nightmare-I let the dealer do that job :) Styling is ok-wife likes it better than I do. That being said, it is pretty roomy on the inside-can easily fit 5 adults and cargo. Fuel economy suffers due to weight of vehicle.

I Rock this thing
By drivenitall80 on 03/15/13 08:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

K, so i bought this inferno red 2004 pt cruiser gt with a premium sound system a year ago for my gf when someone totaled her focus, then we broke up and i kept the car because i was making the payments. Well ive but a crap load of asome bumper stickers on it, these awsome momo TEN-S black wheels on it, had the windows tinted, and every friday night me and my frreinds pile up into it and we go out cruisin and clubbing, i <3 this thing, we crank up the radio and roll all the windows down, its so much fun, i call it a chrysler party cruiser, i even actually have vynl stickers tht say party cruiser, and the way i take turns and sometimes DRIFT youd think the body was gonna fly off the chasis.

Cool looking good value
By rubbertoe on 10/10/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Chrysler transmissions are fine they require proper service that means use the mopar fluid and change it when recommended. If you are not a mechanic don't mess with it. My pt has 70,000 mi. With no serious problems. The downstream o2sensor went out simple fix. A/c needs one can of Freon a year no big deal. Mileage isn't great but it's adequate I get 17 city and 24 hwy remember it's a wagon and it's heavy.

Bigs good, littles--not as much
By OverlordR on 08/31/10 23:18 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I bought my PT GT used with about 37k miles. After the dealer performed a realignment the handling became quite good. I have been in a few low-speed front impact accidents, and the car has protected me quite well and been repairable. In a region of weather extremes (-20 to 105 degrees), I have never once been unable to start my car, outside of my effort to stretch more time out of my battery (college student). I commute to school, about 800 miles a week the last year, and the PT GT is quite an able speeder; it merges quickly and confidently on the highway and can hold 80 mph at a mere 2500 rpm. Much of the car is rock-simple, but the vitals (engine, drivetrain) are rock solid as well.

Gave Me Nightmares
By Zarkster on 07/22/10 20:05 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car with 13K miles on it, back when Consumer Reports actually recommended the Cruiser. The first two years were OK, but then disaster struck. The whole shock system went down, struts, bushings, brakes, and everything else had to be replaced at around 50K. The next summer, my transmission went KAPUT. Luckily, the car was still under warranty. Now, I've discovered that all the struts, bushings, axles, and rotors need to be replaced again. This car has caused me to have nightmares about driving it down hills, and then going totally out of control and careening around corners.

Worst Car Ever
By Christina on 05/13/10 09:27 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

I had a 2001 Hyundai Elantra before this car and never had as many issues as I've had with the PT Cruiser. Granted I purchased it used, but within two days of purchasing it the mechanical issues began. I've had to replace the torque converter, battery, PVC hose, a torn CV joint and front left axle. It makes a grinding noise between 45-60mph, vibrates during idle and starting first thing in the morning, and this morning it almost stalled on me while driving 75mph. It's also very uncomfortable. I feel like I am sitting on a bag of rocks. This is the only car I've driven where you have to push up for the wipers, not down and the window controls are in the center of the vehicle.A true lemon

Never Again
By Sheila on 05/07/10 13:34 PM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

Bought my car used w/low miles. The brakes have always squeaked, had checked twice for the same thing. They say they just squeak. Oil pressure light has come on several times for no apparent reason. Check engine light comes and goes. Couldn't find out why. A/C went out the end of last summer, I live in TX and need air. Now my ignition will not turn either way, so I can't drive the car. Mileage is the same as I got in my Grand Cherokee Laredo, maybe not as good.

fun car-some design issues
By puddlejumper04 on 02/23/10 23:05 PM (PST)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 4A)

for a small car with a short nose one of the worst cars to make a u turn with,needs a city block!!! I had engine mounts replaced at 38,00 now at 60,000 find out they are gone again. $400.00. Had some leaks in my d/w took it to the dealer found out leaking from rack and pinon which had to be replaced and solenoid which had to be replaced. I had the extended warranty as my car only came with 3/36. Cost me 300.00 with deductive,front end alignment and power steering flush. Trouble with the a/c 2x the warranty covered less deductible. The car had 6,000 miles on it and had never been titled used as a demo? Cheated out of 1 year warranty backdated

Tranny at 65K
By MDH on 10/16/09 06:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I like my cruiser, but I feel leery of the reliability. I've replaced the control arm bushings at 50K miles(known problem) and now the transmission went at 65K miles. Luckily the tranny was covered under the 7/70K warranty for a $100 deductable. Just an FYI for anybody buying a used one, Chrysler will let you register the car for warranty coverage even if you are not the original purchaser(Iím technically #4). I registered mine right after I bought it in 12/08. Just call them and say you want to register. Might just be the 7/70 warranty (2003-2004), so check. I'm not sure I would buy another one, especially when I drive about 20K miles a year.