2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
PT Cruiser Touring
By mjb457 on 09/03/12 15:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new,,,, drove it 99k miles so far....normal routine maintenence, one of Chrysler's all time best sellers( average mpg 20mpg)HONDA,TOYOTA CONTINUE TO BUILD AND INPROVE/// CHRYSLER SHOULD HAVE DONE THE SAME- A CLASSIC.

Fun car or worst piece of crap!!!
By wewing on 01/27/12 13:49 PM (PST)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my PT Cruiser used. It is a 2003 and I bought it in 2005. I have replaced the waterpump (inline), the power steering,I have had work done on the struts,front bearings, I have had electrical problems and replaced the battery, and it eats oil at a rate higher than I would like. I have spenr over $3500 dollars on repairs and it had 30,000 miles on it when I bought it and I have just less than 70,000 on it now. There is a small leak somwhere in the cooling system either coming from the water pump$700, the head gasket $1000 or the engine block $2000. I am a little unhappy with the reliability of this car.

My 2003 PT Cruiser
By 1daddyjoe on 07/28/11 18:01 PM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

All in all I am happy with it. I bought the car new and now have 150,000 plus miles on it. I don't baby the car at all, I drive it hard. Would I buy another one, probably not. The car has treated me ok. Just regular maintainance, tires, brakes, tune ups, timing belt, and just replaced my front wheel bearings. No real major issues on the car. The gas mileage is bad, and it feels under powered. Coming from VW's and driving them hard as well but, taking care of them as well. They felt a bit more sturdy and the gas mileage and power was there when I needed it.

It was great for a long time. but now. . . ?
By hotwifey on 03/30/11 07:38 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car when it was 1 year old in 2004. I loved the design and still do. This car really had no issues until the past 1.5-2 years. I was so happy with it, I thought I will just keep driving it as long as I can. Recently, at 94,000 miles- I have had one problem after another. It is a bummer because this car was great for me for many years, but now it is a hassel. I'm looking to sell mine now, but not sure what type of person can afford the repairs. :( The interior and exterior looks new, but under the hood is another story.

Junk in Miami
By Junk in Miami on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great concept, poorly executed! We loved our car when we first bought it. Dark Blues with the Woody package. Still turns heads to this day. However, front wheel bearings went out at 20K, transmission went out at 37K, water pump went out at 52K and overheated warping the head. Luckily this all was covered under the extended bumper to bumper warranty. When the water pump went out, it still cost me over $800 for misc repairs that the car needed. Four months later the car started running rough, so back to the dealer and another $1100. None of the work they did before was now covered since the warranty expired and so did the warranty on their work! Really? Yes. I can not afford this junk!

Worst vehicle I've ever owned.
By Lori on 06/29/10 09:08 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Cheap vehicle. At 60,000 miles the cooling system quit, had to have entire system replaced. Thermostat stopped working and car overheated, almost ruined the engine! Next the a/c compressor quit making the car stall or jump forward at lights. This vehicle is a hazard. Leather is not durable at all, and the paint flakes off, can't wash it with out finding new exposed metal!

Oh my goodness
By krb21 on 06/11/10 20:32 PM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I hate this car! I bought this car as a graduation gift to myself and hate it. I've had it in the shop more than I think I've actually driven it. I have 123,400 miles on it which is a lot but even before that I've had the tires changed twice, the brakes make a weird noise, there is a loud rattle on the back hatch door. This car has given me problems since day one. I bought it and the next year it failed inspection because the tint was to dark. I've never added anything extra to the car. Just need a good family car. It sucks gas! I fill up 2 times a week just from going to work, picking up my son, and going home. I wouldn't recommend this car to my worst enemy!

PT NOT FOR ME
By myhoganybrown on 05/26/10 11:59 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

I only got the car because it was the most affordable. I ended up hating this car 1 year later not because of its reliability but because of its looks. This car is definitely perfect for older people. Why anyone under 50 would drive this car is beyond me? Although, I wasn't forced to purchase, it was a regret. However, no big maintenance issues. I just think it has no sex appeal.

Squeaky Brake Problem Solved
By Frisco Pete on 04/21/10 11:27 AM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wife and I owned car for 7 years. A good driver on city street and very stable on highway with solid handling and ride. Engine has very good passing power on country roads even with four passengers. Front and rear seats are very comfortable for long drives [+200 mile]. Many passengers have commented on roominess and comfort when riding in car. I have performed all maintenance since purchased and found it easy to perform oil/filter; spark plug, battery and brake maintenance [see suggestion below]. We found PT Cruiser safe, reliable and a fun car to drive with a design that still turns a head or two after all these years. I think it will become one of the design classics down the road.

No problems here I love it!
By djk10 on 03/29/10 22:40 PM (PDT)

2003 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon GT 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl Turbo 5M)

Besides normal ware and tare breaks tires etc. This car has been a blast to own. I just paid it off and after a set of tires and my normal full tune up it has been better than any car that I have ever owned! Lots of room to haul groceries etc. I don't understand all the complaints I believe if you take care of a car routinely it will run great I bought it 3 years old 18k miles I deliver in it everyday 160k still going strong