Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

New PT owner
By LOVE MY BLUE PT

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I just bought this 02 Ltd.Ed. a month ago. I had a Ford Windstar which was monstrous and not a gas saver. Also kids are grown so no longer needed the size. My only complaint about this PT is gas mileage and power. I'm getting about 20-22 mpg comb. Which isn't great for a 4 cyl. but I was getting 13-15 mpg on van. I put $55 filled it and got almost 2wks. Also running AC. So it's better. The van to fill was nearly $100. Wish engine was a bit more powerful for getting out of sticky situations, but it's not bad. But I love the style. Mine is pearl blue, mint and chromed out. it's a head turner. It's built great, nice and tight and this one came w/every option so it's blast to drive. I'm having fun with it

Favorite Features

The interior, all leather and suede! Moonroof, great stereo (I'm a musician) 6 speakers! Power everything. Nicely designed dash.

Suggested Improvements

Engine power. Gas mileage. Which would prob improve with some stronger engine power.

Will never buy again.
By vickad76

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Was dreaming about buying this car for about two years. Finally a year ago I've made enough money and bought the car of my dreams for $7,000.00 with 60,000 mi on it. For the first half of a year I really enjoyed it, but suddenly in the middle of a winter it stopped shifting gears. After I added transmission fluid, it worked well till the spring. Once it got to be warmer the old problems went back, and the car would stop shifting gears whenever it likes. Now I went through three months of nightmares already and need to pay about $2,000 for the repair, for the warranty is already expired. It was the last Chrysler vehicle I've bought.

Favorite Features

All I like about this vehicle is the look only. It was a main reason I bought it.

Suggested Improvements

Don't think it can be improved. It's not reliable, takes a lot of gas, and will take a lot of money out of your pocket for the repairs. Just buy something else and save your money.

tonie's ride
By bob t

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

So far it's been a pleasure. Planning first trip, Houston to Jacksonville Fl. Leaving in two days.

Favorite Features

all are pleasant

Suggested Improvements

none right now

Body Creaking Noise
By Ernie Weber

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wife and I love this car which now has 79000 miles. Trouble free with great ride and handling and versatility. For the past year we have had a creaking noise in the chassis. Local mechanic cannot locate nor could local dealer. This noise occurs primarily after coming out of a right hand turn. Not while driving straight. Bouncing up and down while standing still fails to duplicate the noise. Has anyone had this problem and how was it fixed?

Favorite Features

Versatility, comfort for four, otherwise quiet and well made. Good handling, brakes and economy. Satisfactory power for base engine and automatic trans. Great looks with the woody package. Seat height is great for us senior drivers.

Suggested Improvements

Quieter engine.

Love my PT!!!!
By Steph1163

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2006 with only 2800 miles on it! I got very lucky. I have always had great luck with the car. The only problem I have had is that the light cover for the windows roll up fell out. My PT has been the most reliable car I have owned!!!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, Large cargo area, fold down front seat, Styling and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, performance (have to turn off the air conditioner to accelerate on to the freeway).