2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
I Love it
By workmanfamily on 08/24/06 07:19 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Great cruising car. It is fun to drive and handles great. We've not had any problems with it at all until now almost 5 years into it a linkage on the gears went out (manual transmission).

We purchased a wonderful but flawed car
By Debra Jones on 08/06/06 22:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my PT Cruiser, however, we have had to have the transmission rebuilt at 70,000+ miles, repeated problems with the brakes within the first 2 months of driving it (a dealer's employee had indicated this was a very common problem.) We have a 60 month loan which will be pd off this Nov., however, we have been told by a body shop that based on their examination, without $3,000.00 additional work completed on it, it will not be running by Nov. Tire rods, struts, AC compressor, a bearing have to be replaced. We have had problems with the quality of work at a local dealership closer to our home in Greenwood (not Eastgate, but Tom O'Brien). Defective tires, stripped lugnuts, one Mgr not ok.

MY PT
By tommy on 08/05/06 09:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My family bought our PT Cruiser in August 2002 about 9 months after my aunt had just bought one of her own. Compared to our other Daimler-Chrysler models (97 Jeep Cherokee, 03 Dodge Dakota) The PT has held up the best, gets the best gas mileage and the biggest problem we have had with it is changing the tires at only 20k. Our repairman said that DC has been putting low grade (20k or less) tires on all new models in order to save money.

PT Cruiser is Reliable
By PT Cruiser Reliable on 07/27/06 02:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The PT Cruiser is a very reliable car with routine maintenance. I have owned a different model car with each of the 5 new car purchases I have made in my lifetime. I would rate the Cruiser as one of the top. It is very reliable and has not had any major repairs. I stay very close to the maintenance schedules and have driven this car all over the US in every sort of weather without issues. I plan to give this car to my soon to be licensed teen. The leg room and posture makes you feel like your driving a mini-van (I had an knee injury and a stretched out leg wasn't feasible). The ability to remove the back seats make it as convenient as a van if you need to carry lots of cargo.

Late-Onset Lemon
By dokein on 07/19/06 12:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After less than a year, power steering died while I was on the highway. After two years, overheating problems started. Took in for service 4 times in 2 years for overheating. First time the dealer blamed it on a bad power steering motor steering motor and topped off the antifreeze. 2nd time no cause found. 3rd time found a bad fan relay. 4th time (58k mi) water pump failed, causing head gasket to blow, warping the head, damaging a piston & a ring. 2 weeks to fix. Chrysler not fully honoring 7/100 powertrain warranty, making me pay ~$500. Front discs & pads at ~40k. Plug wires after 55k. Several other intermittent problems dealer refused to fix under bumper-to-bumper warranty.

Cruisin'
By eclark on 06/22/06 12:19 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Chrysler provided a way to watch the development of the PT Cruiser all the way through the design stage. I followed the process and always wanted to own one. Finally in 2005 I got my chance. I have not been disappointed in the least. The interior flexibility is amazing. The comfort is excellent. I get question after question about my PT Cruiser at gas stations and stop lights. Driving my PT Cruiser is an all around fun experience.

not tickled
By ct on 06/07/06 13:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Since purchasing this car in the last year I have had to replace the battery , 2 starters, and now the transmission due to transmission pump failure which affected the gears and no warning from engine light until the car was dead on the road. I am not confident in driving this car. Also the a/c needs beefing up and the gas milage is awful. The brakes constantly have to be adjusted and always squal.I feel i may be at the beginning of an electrical problem. This car was babied from the first owner and also by me. For the car only having 49,000 and 4 years old this is no Dream car. Don't let the looks deceive you.......

Gas Mileage
By doris riggs on 05/07/06 07:13 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The only complaint that I have, I don't get the kind of gas mileage that you have listed.

Loving my Dream Cruiser
By Peter on 04/30/06 12:00 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I driven my cruiser from Rhode Island to North Carolina and then to Florida within a week and I had no problems, either mechanically or comfort wise. Drove for a few hours between fill-ups, between 300 and 400 miles depending on the A/C usage. Couldn't ask for a better looking or driving car for me.

'02 PT Cruiser Limited
By infantrydrillsgt on 04/29/06 07:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I work in the used car business, so I see and drive just about every make and model of car out there. The PT Cruiser I own is as solid as the day I bought it. It has held up better than many of the much vaunted Hondas I see on a daily basis.