Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

Hope you're a shade tree mechanic
By dadto5

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought with 57,000. In the 57,000 miles since: new elec cooling fan $600 dealership ($90 rock auto), fog lights won't turn off (pulled fuse), front window switch failed ($45 ebay), brakes 3 times (only $65 done myself), whole new front suspension $575, new transmission @ 110,000 miles $1700. Timing chain will need done by 117,000 or the engine will fail $475, new water pump ($65 done myself), chrome alloy rims look great but bend easily. I don't expect a car with 114,000 to be free to operate. But everyone I've talked to can't believe my transmission lasted that long. Front suspension needs work every 30,000 miles. Arm rest are to low to be useful. 16-19 mpg, but I'm used to 10 in my truck

Great looks. Cavernous trunk. Comfortable ride.

Just better quality parts. If you can do the work yourself get better performance parts and not OEM parts.

Love my PT Cruiser
By Blaze

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Hot Car is so comfortable. I smile each time i walk up to my Cruiser. I still can not believe it is mine. The leather inter. is so classy. Every stitch is perfect. Turning corners is a breeze. Handles like a Rod.

Interior, design, sun roof, the way it handles.

None so far

My college daughters PT cruiser
By jlsh

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For what we have spent fixing this car in the past 3 years, we could have purchased a better vehicle. The physical shape of the car is great and it has many extras but, the garage where we have repairs made knows my daughter's voice when she call!. We just spent 1500 dollars on repairs this winter and today she called and her steering wheel is locked up and won't turn.

Still like the car.
By Shotgun

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used in 2005 at about 56,000 miles. Have thoroughly enjoyed the car. Haven't had many problems, but when I did, I was appalled at the repair price, and the unusual failing of parts that normally don't fail. In 2006 the transmission failed. Cost $3,250 for a rebuilt one. Since then, the sunroof has jumped the track and screwed up the linkage. No 'repair parts' are available from Chrysler. Cost $1,200 for a new one. Then the starter when out. Cost $500 to fix. It's time now for the timing belt replacement (95K miles)& dealer quoted about $1000 to replace it (includes new water pump). Transmission is acting up again but may be low fluid problem. I just topped it up & so far ok.

The 'woodie' package & this car besides being a 'Limited' has about every option Chrysler offered including the $600 optionl performance brake pkg which then includes 'traction control' & 'antilock brakes'. At 95K, i'm still on the original brakes.

The 'performance brake' package should be standard equipment. I've owned Porsches, Jaguar and Mercedes. The brakes on the Cruiser equal all of them. I put on a set of Michelin's best tires which are guaranteed not to wear out for 90,000 miles & replaced the orig battery with Chrysler's best, 7 yr.

Love it but...Frustrating!
By Love it but....

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted one the minute I saw it! The day I bought it,master brake cylinder out in busy traffic, didn't get hit!Told by my son-in-law NOT to buy one because of the hood design,little space available to work in.Didn't listen! First:1/2 shaft replaced,front brakes next,Nov.08.Then it began over- heating,June 2009,tried everything possible to fix.Ok now,don't know WHY OR how?Motor mounts broke,and shook bolts loose on everything,starter quit but found out the bolts were loose on it.Running after 3 week search but engine light won't go off or stop blinking.Detected #2 plug misfiring,changed wires/plugs & 2 batteries.Always had chassis noises.Fan cover hits fan, rubber stays broken,can't find any

Love the look of the car,inside is very roomy,seats comfortable,nice stereo w/great features on it,easy to drive and handle,great heater and AC.Color:Plum Crazy..love it!*Goes with my TAZ seat covers!*

(Wider hood design,no room to work),better gas mileage,(gets 18/24now appx),FIX problems with over-heating and electrical..windows rolled down(on their own?),while raining!Over-heating problems hard to detect and fix.Battery/fuses under filter,hard to get to!Not good driving on ice! Must give it up