Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler Pt-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

worst car i ever owned and this is my second pt cruiser
By myptcruiser

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 2 pt cruisers, a 2001 and 2002. I do not know why I bought the second one. Both had the same problems - replaced radiator $1200 both times; suspension problems with tie rods, wheel hub assembly. If I open the hatchback it causes my brake lights to fail, because according to Chrysler dealership, the wiring rubs as I open the hatchback. The camshaft sensor had to be replaced $350. Now it is going out again after being replaced by the Chrysler dealership less than 8 months ago. Very expensive to repair. Do not buy this car! You can find them available for sale everywhere - have you ever wondered why? Be glad they no longer make this car.

Favorite Features

Comfort of the seats being slightly higher than in the average car. Lots of leg room and head room.

Suggested Improvements

Junk it and get a real car

230k still running strong
By DZ

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used from a friend with 12k on it. The only things I have had to do is timing belt, three clutch's, three crankshaft sensors, radiator fan, front bushings and the rear crank for the stabilizer. Other than that just change the oil and brakes. This car has never left me stranded. Fun to drive, very comfortable. To me this is all just maintenance and part of owning a car. Next week I'm changing the timing belt again cause it's that time. Going for 300k.

Favorite Features

Comfortable to sit in and good vision all around.

Suggested Improvements

Moot point as it's no longer made, but my only complaint would be the AC drawing too much power from the engine and move the darn window controls to the doors like every other car made in the world:-)

Hope you're a shade tree mechanic
By dadto5

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought with 57,000. In the 57,000 miles since: new elec cooling fan $600 dealership ($90 rock auto), fog lights won't turn off (pulled fuse), front window switch failed ($45 ebay), brakes 3 times (only $65 done myself), whole new front suspension $575, new transmission @ 110,000 miles $1700. Timing chain will need done by 117,000 or the engine will fail $475, new water pump ($65 done myself), chrome alloy rims look great but bend easily. I don't expect a car with 114,000 to be free to operate. But everyone I've talked to can't believe my transmission lasted that long. Front suspension needs work every 30,000 miles. Arm rest are to low to be useful. 16-19 mpg, but I'm used to 10 in my truck

Favorite Features

Great looks. Cavernous trunk. Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Just better quality parts. If you can do the work yourself get better performance parts and not OEM parts.

Love my PT Cruiser
By Blaze

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Hot Car is so comfortable. I smile each time i walk up to my Cruiser. I still can not believe it is mine. The leather inter. is so classy. Every stitch is perfect. Turning corners is a breeze. Handles like a Rod.

Favorite Features

Interior, design, sun roof, the way it handles.

Suggested Improvements

None so far

My college daughters PT cruiser
By jlsh

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For what we have spent fixing this car in the past 3 years, we could have purchased a better vehicle. The physical shape of the car is great and it has many extras but, the garage where we have repairs made knows my daughter's voice when she call!. We just spent 1500 dollars on repairs this winter and today she called and her steering wheel is locked up and won't turn.