2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews 2

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Still like the car.
By Shotgun

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used in 2005 at about 56,000 miles. Have thoroughly enjoyed the car. Haven't had many problems, but when I did, I was appalled at the repair price, and the unusual failing of parts that normally don't fail. In 2006 the transmission failed. Cost $3,250 for a rebuilt one. Since then, the sunroof has jumped the track and screwed up the linkage. No 'repair parts' are available from Chrysler. Cost $1,200 for a new one. Then the starter when out. Cost $500 to fix. It's time now for the timing belt replacement (95K miles)& dealer quoted about $1000 to replace it (includes new water pump). Transmission is acting up again but may be low fluid problem. I just topped it up & so far ok.

Favorite Features

The 'woodie' package & this car besides being a 'Limited' has about every option Chrysler offered including the $600 optionl performance brake pkg which then includes 'traction control' & 'antilock brakes'. At 95K, i'm still on the original brakes.

Suggested Improvements

The 'performance brake' package should be standard equipment. I've owned Porsches, Jaguar and Mercedes. The brakes on the Cruiser equal all of them. I put on a set of Michelin's best tires which are guaranteed not to wear out for 90,000 miles & replaced the orig battery with Chrysler's best, 7 yr.

Love it but...Frustrating!
By Love it but....

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted one the minute I saw it! The day I bought it,master brake cylinder out in busy traffic, didn't get hit!Told by my son-in-law NOT to buy one because of the hood design,little space available to work in.Didn't listen! First:1/2 shaft replaced,front brakes next,Nov.08.Then it began over- heating,June 2009,tried everything possible to fix.Ok now,don't know WHY OR how?Motor mounts broke,and shook bolts loose on everything,starter quit but found out the bolts were loose on it.Running after 3 week search but engine light won't go off or stop blinking.Detected #2 plug misfiring,changed wires/plugs & 2 batteries.Always had chassis noises.Fan cover hits fan, rubber stays broken,can't find any

Favorite Features

Love the look of the car,inside is very roomy,seats comfortable,nice stereo w/great features on it,easy to drive and handle,great heater and AC.Color:Plum Crazy..love it!*Goes with my TAZ seat covers!*

Suggested Improvements

(Wider hood design,no room to work),better gas mileage,(gets 18/24now appx),FIX problems with over-heating and electrical..windows rolled down(on their own?),while raining!Over-heating problems hard to detect and fix.Battery/fuses under filter,hard to get to!Not good driving on ice! Must give it up

Love this car!!
By CrUiZeR

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 PT for almost 4 years. Bought with 60,000 miles, now have just over 100,000. Have had VERY few issues with this car. I never head out in the morning with the fear that the car won't start or get me where I'm going. Runs great and gets some good speed on the freeway. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the car is beautiful, especially with a spoiler, chrome accents, and aftermarket mags. Interior is well designed and comfortable. Would recommend this car to anyone looking for a nice family car. Now I'm just looking for something more sporty.

Favorite Features

Chrome accents, comfortable seats, manual transmission is a blast.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage, much more HP and torque.

Car from HELL
By Charrissa

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I HATE this car. I can not wait to get rid of it. My main computer went out a few months after I bought it which cost me $3000 to fix. Few months later my fog lights wouldn't turn off, which killed my battery stranding me many times. I had to remove the fuse that controls it. Currently my car makes a horrible noise (similar to a cats fighting) only when I turn to the right. It also makes horrible sounds when I first turn it on and drive. Turning radius stinks and so does the gas. I will NEVER EVER buy a Chrysler again.

Favorite Features

Pretty comfortable inside. Gotta admit it.

Suggested Improvements

Lifetime warranty covering all repairs.

should have traded january 2009
By No longer Impressed

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my pt used and low mileage it went back once to dealership for some squeaking noise turned out it wasn't sitting right on the frame. i have had no problems other then regular mait. one month ago some noised started and it was the bushings bearings so 1300$ dollars spent on repairing. a week later rad motor blew causing the rad to blow then transmission, 3 days after this fuel pump went. it is now in the shop for timeing belt, water pump and other repairs. total of all repairs 7500$ i really wish i had of traded. now i will have this car forever good thing i do like the look and the drive of it. i'm just glad they took it off the line no more pts. yahoo

Suggested Improvements

quit building the car and if you do again for a american car make it cheaper for the repairs

A car
By Jerry

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Replaced Transmission once. Had to upgrade the Rotors. Fixed a faulty Fog light switch myself with glue and worked. Replaced all micro dash lights once because most went out at about 65,000 miles which I think is normal. Chrysler fixed faulty powersteering hose with no cost to me. Otherwise, Alright car.

2002 pt after 80,000 miles
By richard Eaton

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

first car we ever brought new. the only problem we have experienced in the past with around 50,000 miles, the car would over heat. if you stopped for 5 minutes and restarted the car, the overheating would stop. carried it to the local chysler dealer and let them keep it overnite to locate problem. no problem found and has not over heated again since then and vehicle has over 80,000 miles on it.

Favorite Features

leather interior and heated seats, and ease of getting in and out of the car.

Suggested Improvements

I know this is the last year to manufacture the p.t. cruiser,but if chrysler wanted to stay afloat, they should convert it to electric/gas operation like they have on several cars. it is definitely to popular a car to just do away with it.

Very Pleased
By Andrea G

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased our PT Cruiser used with almost 60,000 miles on it in 2004.We have driven it a total of 29 months. It sat for about 9 months after being hit by a mid size SUV on the passengers side while riding in town. My three kids were in the car and everyone was safe.Today the car has almost 108,000 miles on it and drives great. We have had to replace the following items: rotors, brakes, calipers, tie rods and the radiator. The repairs were not as expensive as I had expected. I am often recieving compliments on the vehicle. I drive anywhere from 40-60 miles daily for work and couldn't have been happy this past summer with the price of gas being what it was

Favorite Features

Smooth drive. Easy to park. Great on gas. Hatchback trunk has plenty of space and easy access & shields you while loading from the rain!

Suggested Improvements

Poor vision when backing up. Easier access to battery, which is currently housed under the air filter.

Love it, but it stinks
By michelle

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Had almost 3 yrs. Last year nothing but problems, every week something different. Can't trade in, owe to much money and isn't worth much. Now on its last legs, must give back. Transmission died without any warning, brakes front drive line broke on freeway. Whole wheel came off with no warrning, cost $250 to tow home where now it just sits in my driveway. Fix brakes twice in two weeks. I would not buy a used car again. Has 140,000 miles on it now started at 100,000. Doesn't keep its value.

Favorite Features

Arm rests

Suggested Improvements

Make better car.

We have a Love / Hate Relationship
By Yankeemare

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I LOVE this car and HATE the constant repairs! 2 full sets of brakes in 3 years, new transmission at 80,000 miles, fog lights won't turn off - had to have the lights disconnected, but the LCD interior light stays on all the time, engine overheating, water pump, thermostat, timing belt and serpentine belt being replaced as we speak (97,000 miles). I love the design, comfort, interior, passenger and cargo capacity, and it's very easy to get my grandson in and out of his car-seat in the back seat. I'm shopping for another hatchback but it sure won't be a PT Cruiser and that makes me very sad. If Chrysler could up the reliability quotient, I'd be a PT Cruiser buyer / owner forever

Favorite Features

Interior passenger and cargo room. Comfortable seating and plenty of leg room. Easy to use folding seats. The overall S T Y L E of the car is brilliant! And the fun aftermarket graphics and chrome add-ons are very cool!

Suggested Improvements

more reliable transmission, brakes, cooling system, electrical system. Much higher MPG, clearer headlight covers. Make it less complicated and labor intensive for mechanics to work on. You have to move the engine or remove the tires to work on most everything in the car.