Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

Loved this car but...
By farrynbalch

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car. 2002 pt cruiser touring edition, automatic transmission. I LOVED this car, I bought it at 127,000 miles. Did awesome in the snow, and on long trips. Once my car hit 160,000 miles it went to shit. The timing belt went out which was around 1,000 dollars to fix. We ended up putting over $2,000 into it, then 6 months later it broke down again. Then 3 months later it broke down again. OVerall it was a good car until the miles got up there. Also has a horrible resale value. The value decreases very quickly. If it has low miles its a great car. Very roomy.

Speakers Cruise control "Truck" feel Arm rests

bought 02 Pt Cruiser base used
By ptlover45

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted the PT since it first came out. I got a used (11K miles ) base , 5 spd, ac, combo cassette -cd player, fog lights, privacy glass. Drove it for 33K miles. replaced front wiper motor under warranty. 18 mpg ( city ) 35 (hwy)
never added oil. Suede interior much classier than the no-stain interior in my 07 PT. gauges set too deep in dash to be read in sunlight.
GREAT STYLING.

teardrop headlights and amber/red taillights much more retro than 06 revision. suede interior. excellent heater and ac. excellent radio - no Sirius back then. many add on pieces available. had a conical K&N filter( which I later transferred to my 07 PT. Cue ball shift knob on 5 spd.

pointed hood cramps engine bay and makes repairs tedious. stock air cleaner covers battery and makes jump starting and maintenance time consuming. 07 mods rectified this. changing headlight is ridiculous. rear cargo area too narrow for golf clubs ( need to be put in back seat.) plastic headlight covers on all year of PT's fog over and need buffing out.

Curse of a car
By juliarose

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2006 from my aunt who had bought it new in 2001. Before she gave it to me (luckily I didn't pay anything for it), she had MANY things replaced.
The car is poorly engineered, any work done to it is a pain because of the constricted space in the engine. Since I have had the car, every 2-3 months something huge goes wrong with it. The things I have had done since I have had it: 2 radiators, 2 coolant fans, new wheels because they were leaking and causing my tires to go flat, shocks, timing belt, brakes, head gasket, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat (engine overheats, AC broke, fog lights wouldn't go out (removed the fuse box), hatch broke twice. Gas mileage sucks too! Awful.

Everything!

worst car i ever owned and this is my second pt cruiser
By myptcruiser

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 2 pt cruisers, a 2001 and 2002.
I do not know why I bought the second one.
Both had the same problems - replaced radiator $1200 both times; suspension problems with tie rods, wheel hub assembly.
If I open the hatchback it causes my brake lights to fail, because according to Chrysler dealership, the wiring rubs as I open the hatchback.
The camshaft sensor had to be replaced $350. Now it is going out again after being replaced by the Chrysler dealership less than 8 months ago.
Very expensive to repair.
Do not buy this car! You can find them available for sale everywhere - have you ever wondered why? Be glad they no longer make this car.

Comfort of the seats being slightly higher than in the average car. Lots of leg room and head room.

Junk it and get a real car

230k still running strong
By DZ

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used from a friend with 12k on it. The only things I have had to do is timing belt, three clutch's, three crankshaft sensors, radiator fan, front bushings and the rear crank for the stabilizer. Other than that just change the oil and brakes. This car has never left me stranded. Fun to drive, very comfortable. To me this is all just maintenance and part of owning a car. Next week I'm changing the timing belt again cause it's that time. Going for 300k.

Comfortable to sit in and good vision all around.

Moot point as it's no longer made, but my only complaint would be the AC drawing too much power from the engine and move the darn window controls to the doors like every other car made in the world:-)