2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
Absolutely loved this car?
By itsjuanaa on 07/25/14 09:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2002 Pt Cruiser Limited addition automatic. It was my first car after turning 16. It wasn't my first choice, but I fell in love with it. We purchased it from a dealership in 2013 from where I live. Gas mileage was ok. dashboard did crack in several places. The only other problem I had was my timing belt went out. It's durability is amazing. I ended up having a few accidents in it before I totaled it when a deer hit me. It drove so smoothly. I totaled it with 119,000 miles on it. It was great while I had it.

Loved this car but...
By farrynbalch on 03/05/14 22:27 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This was my first car. 2002 pt cruiser touring edition, automatic transmission. I LOVED this car, I bought it at 127,000 miles. Did awesome in the snow, and on long trips. Once my car hit 160,000 miles it went to shit. The timing belt went out which was around 1,000 dollars to fix. We ended up putting over $2,000 into it, then 6 months later it broke down again. Then 3 months later it broke down again. OVerall it was a good car until the miles got up there. Also has a horrible resale value. The value decreases very quickly. If it has low miles its a great car. Very roomy.

bought 02 Pt Cruiser base used
By ptlover45 on 02/13/13 18:52 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted the PT since it first came out. I got a used (11K miles ) base , 5 spd, ac, combo cassette -cd player, fog lights, privacy glass. Drove it for 33K miles. replaced front wiper motor under warranty. 18 mpg ( city ) 35 (hwy) never added oil. Suede interior much classier than the no-stain interior in my 07 PT. gauges set too deep in dash to be read in sunlight. GREAT STYLING.

Curse of a car
By juliarose on 08/29/11 11:36 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car in 2006 from my aunt who had bought it new in 2001. Before she gave it to me (luckily I didn't pay anything for it), she had MANY things replaced. The car is poorly engineered, any work done to it is a pain because of the constricted space in the engine. Since I have had the car, every 2-3 months something huge goes wrong with it. The things I have had done since I have had it: 2 radiators, 2 coolant fans, new wheels because they were leaking and causing my tires to go flat, shocks, timing belt, brakes, head gasket, fuel pump, water pump, thermostat (engine overheats, AC broke, fog lights wouldn't go out (removed the fuse box), hatch broke twice. Gas mileage sucks too! Awful.

worst car i ever owned and this is my second pt cruiser
By myptcruiser on 05/03/11 19:36 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned 2 pt cruisers, a 2001 and 2002. I do not know why I bought the second one. Both had the same problems - replaced radiator $1200 both times; suspension problems with tie rods, wheel hub assembly. If I open the hatchback it causes my brake lights to fail, because according to Chrysler dealership, the wiring rubs as I open the hatchback. The camshaft sensor had to be replaced $350. Now it is going out again after being replaced by the Chrysler dealership less than 8 months ago. Very expensive to repair. Do not buy this car! You can find them available for sale everywhere - have you ever wondered why? Be glad they no longer make this car.

230k still running strong
By DZ on 10/30/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it used from a friend with 12k on it. The only things I have had to do is timing belt, three clutch's, three crankshaft sensors, radiator fan, front bushings and the rear crank for the stabilizer. Other than that just change the oil and brakes. This car has never left me stranded. Fun to drive, very comfortable. To me this is all just maintenance and part of owning a car. Next week I'm changing the timing belt again cause it's that time. Going for 300k.

Hope you're a shade tree mechanic
By dadto5 on 10/17/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Touring Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought with 57,000. In the 57,000 miles since: new elec cooling fan $600 dealership ($90 rock auto), fog lights won't turn off (pulled fuse), front window switch failed ($45 ebay), brakes 3 times (only $65 done myself), whole new front suspension $575, new transmission @ 110,000 miles $1700. Timing chain will need done by 117,000 or the engine will fail $475, new water pump ($65 done myself), chrome alloy rims look great but bend easily. I don't expect a car with 114,000 to be free to operate. But everyone I've talked to can't believe my transmission lasted that long. Front suspension needs work every 30,000 miles. Arm rest are to low to be useful. 16-19 mpg, but I'm used to 10 in my truck

Love my PT Cruiser
By Blaze on 05/06/10 16:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This Hot Car is so comfortable. I smile each time i walk up to my Cruiser. I still can not believe it is mine. The leather inter. is so classy. Every stitch is perfect. Turning corners is a breeze. Handles like a Rod.

My college daughters PT cruiser
By jlsh on 03/11/10 14:18 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

For what we have spent fixing this car in the past 3 years, we could have purchased a better vehicle. The physical shape of the car is great and it has many extras but, the garage where we have repairs made knows my daughter's voice when she call!. We just spent 1500 dollars on repairs this winter and today she called and her steering wheel is locked up and won't turn.

Still like the car.
By Shotgun on 02/20/10 09:50 AM (PST)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the car used in 2005 at about 56,000 miles. Have thoroughly enjoyed the car. Haven't had many problems, but when I did, I was appalled at the repair price, and the unusual failing of parts that normally don't fail. In 2006 the transmission failed. Cost $3,250 for a rebuilt one. Since then, the sunroof has jumped the track and screwed up the linkage. No 'repair parts' are available from Chrysler. Cost $1,200 for a new one. Then the starter when out. Cost $500 to fix. It's time now for the timing belt replacement (95K miles)& dealer quoted about $1000 to replace it (includes new water pump). Transmission is acting up again but may be low fluid problem. I just topped it up & so far ok.