Used 2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Consumer Reviews - 168 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon - Consumer Reviews

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:

257,000 and going strong
By cre loc

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

P.T. Cruiser, great little runner!
By Lee Rhodes

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a joy to own. I bought this one used in 2007 and it has been consistently reliable. The only issues I have had are age related. A crack in the dashboard (which was completely preventable had I only bought a dash cover), both hydraulic pistons which hold up the rear lift gate need replacing, The headliner is just now slightly peeling back from the front window edge, and the cruise control failed which is caused by a module which Chrysler has known for years was faulty yet continued to produce and install in many Chrysler models including its mini vans. Just recently, this 13 year old vehicle is starting to burn a little oil. It loses a quart every 6 weeks. However an engine rebuild for this car is only $1600 which is surprisingly inexpensive and takes only 10 working days. The PT Cruiser shares the same chassis as Chrysler's Neon and the PT cruiser is a much heavier car. I have an automatic transmission and it is supplemented by a K&N breather kit which improved gas mileage by almost 2 miles per gallon. This car currently has 178,000 miles on it and if I rebuild the engine I am confident I can run it for many years to come.

Love/Hate relationship with my Cruiser
By Brent

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car from a coworker after some financial difficulty forced me to get rid of a car with a payment. I paid $1500 for it, so thankfully I didn't spend much up front. The previous owners had not driven it for a few months, so they put a new battery in it for me. For the first few months, I really had no complaints. The car definitely showed its age (it was 11 years old with about 120k miles on it when I got it), as the interior was pretty worn out and the bumpers were faded, but overall the car looked good for its age. I noticed one day that my air condition started blowing hot and looked at the dash and saw my car was overheating while sitting at a stoplight. Took it to my mechanic and he replaced the radiator, after telling me that I should probably get rid of this car, as they are notorious for radiator and cooling system issues. I wish I had taken his advice. I'm currently on my 5th radiator, and I've had the thermostat, the radiator cap, the fan, the fan switch, numerous sensors and wirings, two batteries, new tires, and an alternator replaced. The car still overheats, and I have to keep antifreeze with me at all times. My mechanic believes it's leaking out through the head gasket, so it's most likely torn to shreds. The A/C went out completely last summer, and the compressor has a massive hole in it. I've spent about $5000 on a $1500 car to keep it running. Now, for the good things. Honestly, I enjoy driving my car. It's comfy and roomy. I drive in town and on long drives (1+ hours) and my legs don't get tired like if I'm driving a car. I enjoy that it sits up a bit higher than most cars, so it's much easier to get in and out of each day. It's quite fun to drive, and has plenty of power for a car it's size. The car has tons of extras and options, like a moon roof, PW/PL, tilt/cruise, premium radio, and heated seats (which is super nice in the winter). It's not loud driving it on the highway, and it drives very smoothly. It handles snow and ice like a champ. I am looking into getting a more reliable vehicle quite soon, but in a way I'm sad to get rid of my little headache of a car. It's not very reliable, but in so many other ways, it's a perfect fit. Be wary buying a used PT Cruiser. They have lots of issues among all the model years it was produced. If you need a reliable daily driver and don't have time or money for frequent repairs or breakdowns, I'd avoid it. If you're looking for a fun car to drive or as a second car to play around with, go for it.

Cat with a PT Cruiser
By Jamie Clemons

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

We go a used PT Cruiser for a steal and have not had any major problems with it. We really enjoy driving it. It is like any other car you have to take care of it. It has all sorts of bells and whistles power everything and a moon roof. Its comfortable and fun and me and my wife both like it.

I like the unusual retro design and all the extra features.

Its really had to do any work on there is not enough room in the engine compartment.

Absolutely loved this car?
By itsjuanaa

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Limited Edition 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I had a 2002 Pt Cruiser Limited addition automatic. It was my first car after turning 16. It wasn't my first choice, but I fell in love with it. We purchased it from a dealership in 2013 from where I live. Gas mileage was ok. dashboard did crack in several places.
The only other problem I had was my timing belt went out. It's durability is amazing. I ended up having a few accidents in it before I totaled it when a deer hit me. It drove so smoothly. I totaled it with 119,000 miles on it. It was great while I had it.

It did well bogging. Sharp turns at excessive speeds was fine.