2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific PT Cruiser model:
bought 02 Pt Cruiser base used
By ptlover45 on 02/13/13 18:52 PM (PST)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I wanted the PT since it first came out. I got a used (11K miles ) base , 5 spd, ac, combo cassette -cd player, fog lights, privacy glass. Drove it for 33K miles. replaced front wiper motor under warranty. 18 mpg ( city ) 35 (hwy) never added oil. Suede interior much classier than the no-stain interior in my 07 PT. gauges set too deep in dash to be read in sunlight. GREAT STYLING.

Love this car!!
By CrUiZeR on 10/07/09 17:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned a 2002 PT for almost 4 years. Bought with 60,000 miles, now have just over 100,000. Have had VERY few issues with this car. I never head out in the morning with the fear that the car won't start or get me where I'm going. Runs great and gets some good speed on the freeway. Not everyone's cup of tea, but the car is beautiful, especially with a spoiler, chrome accents, and aftermarket mags. Interior is well designed and comfortable. Would recommend this car to anyone looking for a nice family car. Now I'm just looking for something more sporty.

should have traded january 2009
By No longer Impressed on 07/06/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought my pt used and low mileage it went back once to dealership for some squeaking noise turned out it wasn't sitting right on the frame. i have had no problems other then regular mait. one month ago some noised started and it was the bushings bearings so 1300$ dollars spent on repairing. a week later rad motor blew causing the rad to blow then transmission, 3 days after this fuel pump went. it is now in the shop for timeing belt, water pump and other repairs. total of all repairs 7500$ i really wish i had of traded. now i will have this car forever good thing i do like the look and the drive of it. i'm just glad they took it off the line no more pts. yahoo

Very Pleased
By Andrea G on 12/03/08 10:26 AM (PST)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My husband and I purchased our PT Cruiser used with almost 60,000 miles on it in 2004.We have driven it a total of 29 months. It sat for about 9 months after being hit by a mid size SUV on the passengers side while riding in town. My three kids were in the car and everyone was safe.Today the car has almost 108,000 miles on it and drives great. We have had to replace the following items: rotors, brakes, calipers, tie rods and the radiator. The repairs were not as expensive as I had expected. I am often recieving compliments on the vehicle. I drive anywhere from 40-60 miles daily for work and couldn't have been happy this past summer with the price of gas being what it was

Will never buy again.
By vickad76 on 05/28/08 15:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Was dreaming about buying this car for about two years. Finally a year ago I've made enough money and bought the car of my dreams for $7,000.00 with 60,000 mi on it. For the first half of a year I really enjoyed it, but suddenly in the middle of a winter it stopped shifting gears. After I added transmission fluid, it worked well till the spring. Once it got to be warmer the old problems went back, and the car would stop shifting gears whenever it likes. Now I went through three months of nightmares already and need to pay about $2,000 for the repair, for the warranty is already expired. It was the last Chrysler vehicle I've bought.

2002 PT Cruiser std eng./ 5 spd manual
By Dave on 11/23/06 11:09 AM (PST)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the car used with 24,000 miles. I have replaced 2 batteries ( I drive short distances) I get 22 mpg (city) and 35(hwy) The car has cruise control. I have added a custom air intake and conical filter, which helps mileage and greatly improves access to the battery!

Grape Ape
By Grape Ape on 09/13/06 09:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my PT for 2 years now and love it.Its fun to drive and withh all the PT clubs out there theres always fun to be found some shows and clubs really go all out like here in Ohio at Youngs Jersey Dairy in Yellow Springs Ohio family fun and show all in one. The PT could do a little better on gas but I have pulled 32.5 once or twice. All the stars must have lined up just right, Cargo area is great with more than enough room.

We purchased a wonderful but flawed car
By Debra Jones on 08/06/06 22:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I love my PT Cruiser, however, we have had to have the transmission rebuilt at 70,000+ miles, repeated problems with the brakes within the first 2 months of driving it (a dealer's employee had indicated this was a very common problem.) We have a 60 month loan which will be pd off this Nov., however, we have been told by a body shop that based on their examination, without $3,000.00 additional work completed on it, it will not be running by Nov. Tire rods, struts, AC compressor, a bearing have to be replaced. We have had problems with the quality of work at a local dealership closer to our home in Greenwood (not Eastgate, but Tom O'Brien). Defective tires, stripped lugnuts, one Mgr not ok.

MY PT
By tommy on 08/05/06 09:46 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My family bought our PT Cruiser in August 2002 about 9 months after my aunt had just bought one of her own. Compared to our other Daimler-Chrysler models (97 Jeep Cherokee, 03 Dodge Dakota) The PT has held up the best, gets the best gas mileage and the biggest problem we have had with it is changing the tires at only 20k. Our repairman said that DC has been putting low grade (20k or less) tires on all new models in order to save money.

PT Cruiser is Reliable
By PT Cruiser Reliable on 07/27/06 02:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

The PT Cruiser is a very reliable car with routine maintenance. I have owned a different model car with each of the 5 new car purchases I have made in my lifetime. I would rate the Cruiser as one of the top. It is very reliable and has not had any major repairs. I stay very close to the maintenance schedules and have driven this car all over the US in every sort of weather without issues. I plan to give this car to my soon to be licensed teen. The leg room and posture makes you feel like your driving a mini-van (I had an knee injury and a stretched out leg wasn't feasible). The ability to remove the back seats make it as convenient as a van if you need to carry lots of cargo.