Chrysler is #3 for a reason!
By bike_canoe2 on
2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)
After owning a PT for 100,000 miles, I can only say it is an ok car. GM's 4cyls get better gas mileage and have more power. Ford's are more reliable. The turning radius is too big. The seats are hard, with only one arm rest for the driver and none in the back. Paint has lasted very well, it still shines. There are better options on the market that you should consider. I found out by my mechanic that this engine will be broken if the timing belt breaks
Favorite Features
Fold up rear seats. The head/leg room for a small car. The cargo capacity.
Suggested Improvements
The engine needs to get better gas mileage, The seats need better pad. The backseats need an arm rest option.
By cruisin2
on 11/18/11 09:41 AM (PST)

Adding to gt66's comments, the 2.4L IS a non-interference engine. My timing belt gave out 11 months ago at 148,000+ miles on it. My experience proceeded as such: I was driving along the highway at 55mph, the engine light came on, the car chimed and then the engine power stopped. I pushed the gas, but nothing happened. I put the car into neutral and coasted as far as I could until the car stopped in a safe place. Nothing happened when turning the key. I had the car towed to a local repair shop, they found the timing belt broke, so it was replaced along with the water pump. It's 11 months later and the 2.4 is still kicking with no damage at 164,000+ miles.

By gt66
on 11/05/11 10:34 AM (PDT)

Actually, just to correct something I said, the valves in the head of the 2.4L can be damaged if the belt breaks but not the short block.

By gt66
on 11/05/11 10:22 AM (PDT)

Find a new mechanic. The 2.0L is an interference engine that can be destroyed by a broken timing belt. The 2.4L is not an interference engine and will NOT be destroyed if the belt breaks.