Used 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chrysler Pt-cruiser - Consumer Reviews

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (148 reviews )

PT cruiser nightmare care
By figueroajavr

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Work full-time and in school so money is tight. Had a 2000 4 runner over 185K. Only thing that car needed was an oil change, new tires and brakes. Bought a 2002 PT cruiser with 50K miles for 2500, thought it was a deal. Car is a nightmare. I've spent over 5K on that car: new radiator fan, tuneup, front suspension, missfire on a cylinder, oil pressure gauge and it still overheats. That car has been a nightmare. I will never buy an american car again. I'm currently looking for a new car and last car I will ever buy is a Chrysler or American made car.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Throw it off a cliff. Burn it.

Lovely, Lovely!
By mocknozzier

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 5-speed PT Cruiser on February 19, 2014, and it has been nothing but perfect so far! I only paid $2,500 for it, 85,000 mi, and numerous people commented on what good condition it was in (I had test drove another PT at a different dealer; it was higher priced and was in bad condition). I learned to drive stick in this car; it is particularly more easy to stall in this car than in other stick shifts. It's not very good in the snow, so it's best to wait until the roads are plowed and salted to take it out. I have a lot of tall friends (around 6 ft), and for being a small car it has a lot of leg/head room! It is also a dream to parallel park and is very spacious on the inside!

Favorite Features

fog lights, rear windshield wiper, how it looks, the color (mine is a red--looks like a red delicious apple), the interior space, cup holders (there are three in front and one in back, but the back one is close enough to be used by the driver or passenger), manual transmission, the look of the gauges (especially in the dark), cassette player; when you shut the door, the interior lights dim immediately so you know right away if you accidentally left the lights on There are also a lot of vendors who sell PT Cruiser merchandise, so you can modify and make yours unique very easily. I put adhesive chrome strips over the grille, so the grille is silver instead of red, and I hope to do more.

Suggested Improvements

The speakers are average, but if you get the sound equalized right they can deliver pretty nice sound. The gas mileage could be better. The cloth seats are going to be a pain to clean, and there isn't an arm rest for the front passenger's seat. Manual locks, and no ABS brakes. Obviously no traction control for manual tranny (not sure about automatic). Very easy to stall also; you need to depress the gas pedal more than in other manual transmission vehicles. There is only one interior light. Larger-than-usual blind spots in back corners.

Great alternative to an SUV
By lmatracia

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a car with a back-hatch (due to always owning large dogs). I purchased this car in 2011 with 132k from my mechanic. He combed through it with a fine tooth comb, so i knew it would be reliable. My car has leather seats, power everything and a sunroof. I enjoy the leather seats, being a dog groomer means lots of dog hair, but the leather is easy to clean. My only complaints are that the ride is a little noisy and rough (but i think it needs new shocks, being a 12 year old car), and i have had issues with the alloy wheels. the rims have slightly corroded (nothing visible to naked eye) but it was causing my tires to lose air regularly. bead seal was quick inexpensive fix.

Favorite Features

leather seats, interior space (for a car that gets great mpg), i also enjoy the location of the window controls

Suggested Improvements

im not sure if they offer heated seats, but if youre going to go with leather i would opt for the heater seats, they get very cold in the winter. just be sure to have all regular maintenance done and this will be a very reliable car. my husband would complain of not enough head room (being 6') but with my small 5'2'' frame i have plenty of room, and i can fit my 85lb dog comfortably in the back hatch.

Chrysler is #3 for a reason!
By bike_canoe2

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a PT for 100,000 miles, I can only say it is an ok car. GM's 4cyls get better gas mileage and have more power. Ford's are more reliable. The turning radius is too big. The seats are hard, with only one arm rest for the driver and none in the back. Paint has lasted very well, it still shines. There are better options on the market that you should consider. I found out by my mechanic that this engine will be broken if the timing belt breaks

Favorite Features

Fold up rear seats. The head/leg room for a small car. The cargo capacity.

Suggested Improvements

The engine needs to get better gas mileage, The seats need better pad. The backseats need an arm rest option.

Unreliable
By soulsistar

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Wagon 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

At first I loved my car it was everything I had been looking for! Drove it a little over and I have had to change the brakes ever 2 months. It started overheating about 3 hours away from home. Replace temperature gauge and water pump, A month later had to do it all again! This car is SOLD! Never again will I have a PT. Too many problems has about 50,000 miles. NOT reliable at all.

Favorite Features

Interior and the outside looks.

Suggested Improvements

Start all over.