Used 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser Consumer Reviews - 149 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (149 reviews )

The design is poor, not a good snow car
By Kimberly

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

My ex got this car used, at about 100k miles, for around $4k. From the beginning, I noticed that it seemed to have very poor suspension, and within a short time period the control rod and the tie rod ends started to fail on it.

The car is now at 143k miles, and while the engine in it is still excellent and in good shape, the real Achilles heel of this car was its design. It was made for looks, and for mild climates; it's not made to last.

The giant rear end on it seems to have proved too much for the frame design. The control rods went out twice over the 43k miles we had it: the suspension and ride were terrible, like a crackerbox really, and now that I'm dispensing with the car, the ball joints have failed, the tie rod ends (again), the CV joints have failed, all in the back of the car. Once it gets older, a bumpy road can cause steering to be tricky. The steering often pulled to one side, and the electrical system was also glitchy, failing several times in the rain, along with dead brake lights from time to time.

I really don't recommend this for snowy climates. It's very bad in the snow; there isn't much clearance under the front bumper and it had a tendency to get stuck pretty easily. The high profile didn't handle wind well.

As others have mentioned, the rims had a constant tendency to peel, and the tires lost air constantly.

On the upside, it had good gas mileage and it never did break down completely on me. It was a dogged car, a good engine in a poorly made body, and if you're a car type in a warm climate who has the time and inclination to fix its little foibles I'm sure it might even be a good deal. The engine is still just cherry in it, it goes at a nice clip once it gets going. I don't hate this car, but it's been very expensive and troublesome mostly due to the frame, electrical and tire issues.

PT cruiser nightmare care
By figueroajavr

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Work full-time and in school so money is tight. Had a 2000 4 runner over 185K. Only thing that car needed was an oil change, new tires and brakes. Bought a 2002 PT cruiser with 50K miles for 2500, thought it was a deal. Car is a nightmare. I've spent over 5K on that car: new radiator fan, tuneup, front suspension, missfire on a cylinder, oil pressure gauge and it still overheats. That car has been a nightmare. I will never buy an american car again. I'm currently looking for a new car and last car I will ever buy is a Chrysler or American made car.

None

Throw it off a cliff. Burn it.

Lovely, Lovely!
By mocknozzier

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 5-speed PT Cruiser on February 19, 2014, and it has been nothing but perfect so far! I only paid $2,500 for it, 85,000 mi, and numerous people commented on what good condition it was in (I had test drove another PT at a different dealer; it was higher priced and was in bad condition). I learned to drive stick in this car; it is particularly more easy to stall in this car than in other stick shifts. It's not very good in the snow, so it's best to wait until the roads are plowed and salted to take it out. I have a lot of tall friends (around 6 ft), and for being a small car it has a lot of leg/head room! It is also a dream to parallel park and is very spacious on the inside!

fog lights, rear windshield wiper, how it looks, the color (mine is a red--looks like a red delicious apple), the interior space, cup holders (there are three in front and one in back, but the back one is close enough to be used by the driver or passenger), manual transmission, the look of the gauges (especially in the dark), cassette player; when you shut the door, the interior lights dim immediately so you know right away if you accidentally left the lights on There are also a lot of vendors who sell PT Cruiser merchandise, so you can modify and make yours unique very easily. I put adhesive chrome strips over the grille, so the grille is silver instead of red, and I hope to do more.

The speakers are average, but if you get the sound equalized right they can deliver pretty nice sound. The gas mileage could be better. The cloth seats are going to be a pain to clean, and there isn't an arm rest for the front passenger's seat. Manual locks, and no ABS brakes. Obviously no traction control for manual tranny (not sure about automatic). Very easy to stall also; you need to depress the gas pedal more than in other manual transmission vehicles. There is only one interior light. Larger-than-usual blind spots in back corners.

Great alternative to an SUV
By lmatracia

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a car with a back-hatch (due to always owning large dogs). I purchased this car in 2011 with 132k from my mechanic. He combed through it with a fine tooth comb, so i knew it would be reliable. My car has leather seats, power everything and a sunroof. I enjoy the leather seats, being a dog groomer means lots of dog hair, but the leather is easy to clean. My only complaints are that the ride is a little noisy and rough (but i think it needs new shocks, being a 12 year old car), and i have had issues with the alloy wheels. the rims have slightly corroded (nothing visible to naked eye) but it was causing my tires to lose air regularly. bead seal was quick inexpensive fix.

leather seats, interior space (for a car that gets great mpg), i also enjoy the location of the window controls

im not sure if they offer heated seats, but if youre going to go with leather i would opt for the heater seats, they get very cold in the winter. just be sure to have all regular maintenance done and this will be a very reliable car. my husband would complain of not enough head room (being 6') but with my small 5'2'' frame i have plenty of room, and i can fit my 85lb dog comfortably in the back hatch.

Chrysler is #3 for a reason!
By bike_canoe2

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a PT for 100,000 miles, I can only say it is an ok car.
GM's 4cyls get better gas mileage and have more power.
Ford's are more reliable. The turning radius is too big.
The seats are hard, with only one arm rest for the driver and none in the back.
Paint has lasted very well, it still shines.
There are better options on the market that you should consider.
I found out by my mechanic that this engine will be broken if the timing belt breaks

Fold up rear seats. The head/leg room for a small car. The cargo capacity.

The engine needs to get better gas mileage, The seats need better pad. The backseats need an arm rest option.