2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Consumer Reviews

Base 2.4L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (146 reviews )
Great alternative to an SUV
By lmatracia on 11/09/12 20:56 PM (PST)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have always wanted a car with a back-hatch (due to always owning large dogs). I purchased this car in 2011 with 132k from my mechanic. He combed through it with a fine tooth comb, so i knew it would be reliable. My car has leather seats, power everything and a sunroof. I enjoy the leather seats, being a dog groomer means lots of dog hair, but the leather is easy to clean. My only complaints are that the ride is a little noisy and rough (but i think it needs new shocks, being a 12 year old car), and i have had issues with the alloy wheels. the rims have slightly corroded (nothing visible to naked eye) but it was causing my tires to lose air regularly. bead seal was quick inexpensive fix.

Chrysler is #3 for a reason!
By bike_canoe2 on 03/06/11 01:51 AM (PST)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

After owning a PT for 100,000 miles, I can only say it is an ok car. GM's 4cyls get better gas mileage and have more power. Ford's are more reliable. The turning radius is too big. The seats are hard, with only one arm rest for the driver and none in the back. Paint has lasted very well, it still shines. There are better options on the market that you should consider. I found out by my mechanic that this engine will be broken if the timing belt breaks

Unreliable
By soulsistar on 07/25/10 21:05 PM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

At first I loved my car it was everything I had been looking for! Drove it a little over and I have had to change the brakes ever 2 months. It started overheating about 3 hours away from home. Replace temperature gauge and water pump, A month later had to do it all again! This car is SOLD! Never again will I have a PT. Too many problems has about 50,000 miles. NOT reliable at all.

Powertrain Computer Module
By Shannon on 07/24/10 20:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I have 2001 Pt Cruiser with 100400 miles on it the Computer has been replaced 3 times in less then 2 months. Does anyone have idea as what could be causing this problem. The EGR valve has melted and needed to be replaced 2 times in less then a month.

Best Car I've Ever Owned
By Dennis on 07/15/10 20:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought in 12/2001. Now has 98K. Replaced suspension & exhaust w/better quality aftermarket. Car has no lean into curves like other PT's. Replaced 16x6 wheels w/17x7. Replaced air cleaner w/cold air box for more power & better sound. Sunroof glass shattered, brake caliper bent, bad LED light but no other probs. Always synthetic oil. Never a prob w/inspection. Disabled & it fits my needs perfectly. Cargo area will gobble up anything you want to put in it. Fits 4 tall adults w/no complaints. Can't really fit 5 because of load limit not because there's not enough space. 3 recalls all important. One of the best designed cars I've ever seen. Daimler cheapened subsequent years so avoid them.

Best car I've Owned
By Phil Collura on 07/10/10 13:47 PM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

A quote from the guy who sold it to me in 2002. I second it. At 227,000 miles, the trans failed, so it's time. It breaks my heart to send it away. Rest of the car is still like new. I've read the negatives, and maybe I was lucky. I did take care to maintain it. I just shopped around for new, and not car comes close to the interior design of the PT.

fuel economy poor!
By fac9160 on 06/28/10 10:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Like the way it looks but looks get you so far. With an average of 20 mpg I'm thinking walking is better!

Worst car ever owned!
By classicsrock on 06/08/10 12:10 PM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

i bought a 2001 pt cruiser 3 weeks ago...a weeks after i bought it i had to put in new ball joints and bushings and put 4 brand new tires on it. then last weeks i broke down on the side of the rd, the timing belt went and ruined all the valves and failed the compression test, the motor was junk so needless to say i will NEVER buy another one complete junk! i should have bought the Chevy Camaro i was headed to go look at the but saw the pt on my way their biggest mistake! now I'm out a couple thousand dollars and no car. for anyone thinking about buy a pt, don't, just keep driving!

Satisfied
By RAK on 05/07/10 08:09 AM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased my Cruiser when they were first introduced and waited 9 months for it. It has been a very reliable car - I now have 169,000 miles on it and am running into issues. I need to replace the wheels due to corrosion of the wheels and shocks, struts, etc.. Considering how long I have had this vehicle and how many miles, I have had very little trouble with it. The paint has held up beautifully. I would definitely recommend the cruiser to others

One bumpy ride
By Pieter Spierenburg on 04/14/10 16:40 PM (PDT)

2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser 4dr Wagon (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this one owner Limited Cruiser with 45,000 mi. on it and every option available incl. sunroof. It has 16" alloy wheels with Goodyear Eagle GT 205R55/16 tires on it and I am afraid to hit any potholes as it makes a loud clunking sound. The dealer told me that is normal for this type with sport suspension on it. No good for those who like a nice smooth ride.