2006 Chrysler Pacifica Consumer Review: First salesman's car for me th

2006 Chrysler Pacifica - Consumer Review

Base Wagon (3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic)

First salesman's car for me that is not a van!
By paulsnj on

2006 Chrysler Pacifica 4dr Wagon (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just picked up this car after much soul-searching to replace my 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan that I owned for 135K of its 183K miles driven. This car had some interesting options for a base model: Heated leather seats and a CD changer (I am 43 and still do not own an I-pod). Also only 48K miles but I will be racking them up pretty fast. Very solid heavy vehicle with the 3.5 V6. Would have liked the 3.8 as in my van, but was not available in 2006. Not the fastest off the line, my van was a bit quicker, but great highway cruiser. No third row in the base, but five people in it over the weekend had no issues. If you don't want a van and can put up with slightly smaller size it's worth a look.

The ride is firm and handling is nice and tight. The Mercedes touch is evident everywhere with the seat controls, look and feel of the leather seats and rock-solid build quality. Autostick tranny (only a four-speed though) Good space in hatch, definitely a little more of it in the two-row vs. three row version of the car. Very reasonable price on used car market. This was over $6K less than a smaller Honda CR-V with more miles and no leather. However, the Honda is a phenomenal small SUV.

Power is a downgrade from the 3.8 V6 IMHO that I had in my '05 Grand Caravan (4 -spd) and still have in my wife's '09 GC (6-spd). Jury still out on gas mileage but pushing the pedal all the time will probably make it suffer. No wonder why the 3.8 came back for 2007 Pacificas and then the 4.0 appeared as an option.