1996 Chrysler LHS - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )
Nice when newer, BUT...
By jhihmoac on 08/21/11 11:51 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

Like anything else on wheels, problems start cropping up when the years add on...Bought mine used at just under 130K...At that time, everything worked, except the air conditioner, which the lack of, really has an overall effect on a full-time automatic climate system...Heat will come on in the middle of a hot summer day, and will take it's grandiose time to do its job come the winter...With these cars, servicing/replacing the A/C is a MUST, and that can get expensive...That done (expensive job), everything was fine until about the 176K mark, then it was just one thing after another, (stabilizer, cv's, brake lines, rotors)...Then the engine had some major issues, and it was time to junk it...

Pleasant surprise
By peter on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

Bought 1996 LHS with 87,000 miles on it. I love this car. Fun to drive and real smooth. fair on gas, very fast. Better than a Caddy. I wish that they still made this model. Great stereo and nice leather.

Good cruiser
By Nebraska on 06/27/09 19:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

Bought in 1999 with 34K. Now has 130K. Water pumps,Thermostat, front end, and A/C problems. $1200 to fix A/C--so I didn't/havent't. Still great mileage,great room,great ride. Trunk and Interior are HUGE. I did lots of road miles, til last year. This is one great hi-way Cruiser. 27 mpg while cruising at 82 mph on Interstate.Handles fairly well. About 18-20 around town. Still looks pretty new at 14 yrs old.Love the leather seats,layout etc. ( I'm over 6 ft) Stereo--Great Sounds. I also have 2 Mazda 626 5-spds. (25/34 mpg)(1995 & 1997) I'd buy any of these vehicles again.

Chrysler LHS, good luxury sedan.
By Keith V Stracchino on 04/09/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

Very pleased with this big luxury sedan, very good performance and comfort, huge trunk. If I could go out and buy a new one today,(April 9 2009),I would be down at the dealers right now. Surprisingly good fuel consumption for this large, powerful car, my long term fuel economy is 20.1 mpg over 105000 miles. mixed city and freeway driving. The power steering rack failed early, but was replaced under warranty by the dealer at no cost to me. The car went though a series of coolant pumps until we discovered that there was a design or manufacturing error in the timing belt tensioner mounting. Addition of a spacer (~0.25in thick) between the tensioner and the mounting flange cured the problem

Second LH and love this one.
By goonior on 03/11/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

Bought the car w/104k mi. Now has 116k, no major problems. Does need new trans mount, broke 3 weeks after purchase. Gas mileage is good for a car this size, about 24mpg driving 90mi roundtrip to work each day. This is the second LH car I have owned. First was 94 New Yorker that started to fall apart after 100k. Build quality is much better this time. Cassette broke recently will replace w/factory CD or CD/cassette soon. Will need new rod bearings soon, seems to be a problem w/these after about 100k, only knocks on morning startup until oil pressure builds. Every power accessory still works. Overall I love this car.

lhs
By Wm. Ferrioli on 12/28/05 09:23 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

nice car, runs great, interior nice, has plenty of power, lots of room and looks good

LHS and loving it
By Ray Miller on 06/15/05 12:05 PM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

We bought our LHS at an estate sale and it had 55000 miles on it. We now have 121000 and it is still running strong. We have replaced the front end (it was probably in an accident) and the air conditioning but beyond the normal wear and tear of Ohio winters it has been a very good but. On a trip to Denver we averaged a little over 31 mpg and traveled in comfort. We are now looking at a 300C AWD. Love those Chryslers.

Some problems but overall good
By TxJB on 02/10/05 12:52 PM (PST)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

This car has been a good car. I have 168,000 miles on it so far. I've had to replace the transmission twice. Tranny seems to only last about 50,000 miles or so. That's been the only major problem so far. Although bushings seem to be inferior quality.

Mechanical Junk
By crushrocks on 02/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

This is a comfortable car with good performance. However mechanically is leaves a lot to be desired. You name it and it has gone wrong on this car. The crowning event was went a frost plug on the engine started to leak. No big deal I thought until I was told that the transmission had to be dropped to get to it. I had this diagonisis confirmed before I had the work done. I wrote to Chrysler to see if I could get some compensation but they basically said "drop dead, it is out of warranty". This is the last Chrysler product I will ever buy.

LHS Review
By Jim IN MD on 09/29/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler LHS 4dr Sedan

For the most part a good car with some reliability problems. Smooth ride with a cavernous interior and trunk. Decent handling at speed and in the parking lot. Small rear window can make backing up a challenge. Reliability problems started at 60K miles. Have had to replace water pump, air conditioner, steering rack, undercarriage bushings, cruise control and tie rods. Performance and mileage seem to be keeping up. Still getting 22-24 MPG around town, and 27-30 on the road.