Fun and rare, but buyer beware.
By boeroboy on
2005 Chrysler Crossfire Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)
Basically an affordable variation on the Mercedes SLK. Fun to drive with top down on a nice summer day. Six speed manual is smooth, but could be geared a little better for fuel (gear 6 in the manual is actually lower than gear 5 in the auto for some sad reason). Fuel economy in my experience is 28-34 mpg. Just beware that most "Chrysler" parts in this vehicle are just Mercedes parts with a Chrysler sticker and a massive markup. Remember the Crossfire was a lovechild of Daimler/Chrysler and is no longer made. If you buy one, be sure to join the Crossfire owner club/forum for help since most dealers don't remember what to do for Crossfire service besides take your money.
Favorite Features
Sleek profile. Nice lines. Every spring when I break out the Crossfire after driving a truck all winter, I feel like I'm sitting on the road - feels fast. During spring/fall, the heated seats are a nice touch - when they work. Sounds decent, and has been mechanically very reliable. I like the fog lights (or deer lights as I call them) because they illuminate the ditches of back roads where deer may be waiting to cross you. I pull up to events and people think James Bond just arrived. It has great appeal.
Suggested Improvements
There are a few well-known failure points that the forums are aware of: Heated seats are bound to fail, and a dealer may charge you $1,000 for a fix that will eventually fail again. This problem is also widespread in the Mercedes models. There are aftermarket kits for $100 that work better than MB/Chrysler parts. Ignitions have a terrible design and will fail eventually leaving you unable to turn your key and start the car. The problem is mechanical and minor and I suggest anyone who buys a XF immediately apply the permanent fix if it hasn't already been done. It's free and quick. Otherwise dealers will charge you $800 for a replacement ignition that will eventually fail again.