Used 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Crossfire model:

Fun and rare, but buyer beware.
By boeroboy

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Basically an affordable variation on the Mercedes SLK.
Fun to drive with top down on a nice summer day.
Six speed manual is smooth, but could be geared a little better for fuel (gear 6 in the manual is actually lower than gear 5 in the auto for some sad reason).
Fuel economy in my experience is 28-34 mpg.

Just beware that most "Chrysler" parts in this vehicle are just Mercedes parts with a Chrysler sticker and a massive markup.
Remember the Crossfire was a lovechild of Daimler/Chrysler and is no longer made.
If you buy one, be sure to join the Crossfire owner club/forum for help since most dealers don't remember what to do for Crossfire service besides take your money.

Sleek profile. Nice lines. Every spring when I break out the Crossfire after driving a truck all winter, I feel like I'm sitting on the road - feels fast. During spring/fall, the heated seats are a nice touch - when they work. Sounds decent, and has been mechanically very reliable. I like the fog lights (or deer lights as I call them) because they illuminate the ditches of back roads where deer may be waiting to cross you. I pull up to events and people think James Bond just arrived. It has great appeal.

There are a few well-known failure points that the forums are aware of: Heated seats are bound to fail, and a dealer may charge you $1,000 for a fix that will eventually fail again. This problem is also widespread in the Mercedes models. There are aftermarket kits for $100 that work better than MB/Chrysler parts. Ignitions have a terrible design and will fail eventually leaving you unable to turn your key and start the car. The problem is mechanical and minor and I suggest anyone who buys a XF immediately apply the permanent fix if it hasn't already been done. It's free and quick. Otherwise dealers will charge you $800 for a replacement ignition that will eventually fail again.

Highly Reccommend!
By TL

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Not comfortable on long rides but in its defense, it's not a touring vehicle.

When it's clean everybody looks!

Cup Holder is Terrible, Rear Convertible Window came apart, had to replace entire top for $2,500.00.

Fun little guy
By Alex

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Since my first time i saw i felt in love with it, shopped around and got it finally, once having it it's been fun everytime i get on the wheel, it runs and looks great. I loved the stereo, dropping the top down and running it fast, it has some good handling and acceleration..eh, average. I think you shouldn't own it if you're taller than 5'9 though, because space is limited. Parts are hard to find and expencive.

Engine performance, great handles, stereo, dashboard cluster is cool and looks nice.

cupholder or something like that. More horsepower and interior space.

Better late for a Roadster than never
By CoronaCATom

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

When I was about 20 I wanted a Triumph TR6 baaad, but couldn't swing it-and thank god since they were so unreliable. 30+ years later I finally have my roadster, and what a fun piece of machinery! About a week ago I found a clean 2005 example with 26K miles for $16K. It is smooth, well-balanced, fast enough, and purrs like the old Triumphs-as least from my memory! I share it with my wife (have to decide between it and a MB CLK500...a tough choice let me tell you!). The styling is so distinctive, and the chassis is solid enough for fast curves, yet the ride is actually quite smooth overall. If you are considering a Mercedes SLK, try out a used Crossfire. It is its fraternal twin for less $$$.

The exhaust note is heavenly, and the auto-stick transmission provides the best of both worlds. Surprising comfort for my 5-9, 245 lb frame (sorry ladies, I'm taken).

The cup hol-wait...I didn't but this car for its cup holder!

Love My Crossfire Convertible
By Crossfire Lover

2005 Chrysler Crossfire Convertible Limited 2dr Convertible (3.2L 6cyl 6M)

Since my drive home from the Dealership in August 2004, I still love my Crossfire. I got the Pearlcoat Yellow exterior color with black leather seating. When driving on City streets or the Highway, I still get thumbs up from other drivers. The Mercedes engine gives it wonderful power and "super get up and gone". The Mercedes suspension handling is first-class and the ride is always a thrill. Lots of sensors, 3 braking systems, 18 and 19 inch tires, beautiful looking engine and a sexy as heck exterior design. And with all that, it is a totally fun car to drive. Try one and see.

Mercedes engine and suspension. Exterior design. the Pearlcoat Yellow color is like no other. And on the highway, top down, crank up the CD player as loud as you want. Mama, that's driving.

Get rid of the run-flat tires. Rough hard ride, I did not like it. I switched to Michelin tires. Smooth.