Used 1997 Chrysler Concorde Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chrysler Concorde - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chrysler Concorde Sedan

View reviews for a specific Concorde model:

Great car with a lil TLC
By Steve

1997 Chrysler Concorde Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

Very dependable car with no large repair expenses, but I also do 90% of my own repairs. I love the 3.5 engine. Most issues after 60,000 miles, standard r/m in my opinion, except the poor quality paint. 30,000-40,000 miles change plugs. At 45,000 miles, replaced hood struts. 52,000, valve cover gaskets. 80,000 miles, EGR valve, solved drivability issue. Found spark plug tubes cylinder 2 & 4, not sealed at bottom, allow oil on top of plugs, removed tubes and applied RTV red sealant. Subframe bushings, sway bar struts, inner tie rod bushings at 90,000. For preventive maint, at 100,000, I replaced all 4 o2 sensors, fuel injectors, coil packs, wires and plugs. Easy car to work on for the DIY.

Favorite Features

3.5 engine, handling, comfort and easy car to work on for the DIY with little experience. Tons of helpful hints. If you're not afraid to get dirty, very good car to own. Engine and tranny are very solid.

Suggested Improvements

Do not neglect this car or you will regret it. Adhere to the maintenance manual and perform preventive maintenance and this car will be very dependable and easily go 250,000 miles. If you are not mechanically inclined, sell it, it will nickel and dime you to death at the hands of repair shops.

A great car... with medicore reliability
By Yoda46

1997 Chrysler Concorde Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought the car new. I now have 115k miles on it. I like the car overall, but I wish my experience were as perfect as some other posters'. The car has not been a lemon, but has required several repairs that I would not expect to have needed on a Honda or Toyota in the same time frame (or on a Ford or GM for that matter): Replaced warped front brake rotors twice (and I am easy on brakes), replaced water pump twice, replaced power steering pump, replaced front tie-rods, replaced transmission support cradle, recharged AC twice.

Favorite Features

Stylish - inside and out. Excellent visibility, comfort, ride, and handling. Large and roomy. Great mpg for a car of this size and power. Excellent feature set and very reasonably priced.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability pleeease! I think Chrysler produces some of the most stylish (inside and out) cars on the market. But their reliability has lagged the field for DECADES - and it continues to do so. I really like Chrysler products, but please don't make me feel foolish for continuing to buy them.

Great car
By NW Wisconsin girl

1997 Chrysler Concorde Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about 2 years now. I was wrinkled my nose when I first saw it, then I drove it. I'm not a fan of larger cars as a rule, but I'd buy another one of these in a heartbeat. AT 187k she's still running strong. Everything works on this car, I feel safe driving it out here in Deerville. If I hit something I'm not worried about dying. It handles beautifully, runs quietly and has a ride I've only dreamed of. I hope it lasts me another 3 years at least. I know of another one of these around my home that currently has 264k miles on it. She too, loves her Concorde.

Favorite Features

Spoiler, wheels, auto climate control and full power options.

Suggested Improvements

CD player and cup holders on dash, not on center console.

My big Chrysler Concord
By Mike

1997 Chrysler Concorde Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I have drove this car a lot and let me tell you what a blast. The Mopar V6 3.5 L with bottom feed fuel injectors, and the nice handling aspects can get you a ticket if you don't watch your speed. This car is bigger than most SUVs, I love the double looks from owner with SUV. My G/F will not drive this car at all. She say it's a big boat, but she likes riding in it, just not driving in it. All in all I can say this is the first American made car I have fallen in love with.

Favorite Features

Rear Leg Room Acceleration Steering/Handing cargo room Engine Noise is not a issue

Suggested Improvements

Can someone make a ABS system that is half way quiet? This car sounds like a shot gun going off when the ABS kicks in. A little better reliability with the a/c unit. Why is it almost all older LH body cars I see have rust? It's going to cost $2,220 to get the rust repair on my car

Excellent 1997 Concorde 3.5 litre
By jeff

1997 Chrysler Concorde Sedan LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 70k miles. Now has 118k miles. Not one problem! Gas mileage is awesome for a full size vehicle at 29mpg on the freeway. Sure if you are hard on the gas off the line, no vehicle gets good mileage! Drive it right,and it does 23 around town. A lot of power. Excellent low end torque, enough to fry the tires easily at take off. Comfortable and very reliable. I changed the timing belt at 100k and water pump at same time per manufacturer, but they all need that with this motor. Brakes are replaced as necesary, they don't wear any more or less than any other vehicle. It is all in the driver. Will get to 200k miles easy!

Favorite Features

3.5 engine, stereo is excellent, comfortable seats, roominess, quietness inside car, and gas mileage 29mpg

Suggested Improvements

Suspension needed improvement. The front sway bar links can start to knock. Common on every vehicle of this nature I have ridden in.