1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

LXi 2.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (25 reviews )
Nice, but could have been better
By Mark Sarsfield on 06/30/05 15:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

This is a nice car. Built like a tank. Almost as heavy as one, too. Engine is under-powered, though, and is shoe-horned into the car. This makes it hard to work on engine components, which I have done several times. Tranny also hesitates to shift when you floor it. You practically red-line before it goes into the next gear. Avg. fuel economy for a V6. For the amount of driving that I do, I have to fill the 16-gallon tank up about once a week. Body and paint are in great shape, except for some minor dings on the doors from inconsiderate shoppers/neighbors/coworkers and a few tiny rust bubbles on the very tip of the hood from rocks flying up on the highway.

Sweet Car
By Tjh on 03/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

At first getting a four dour car was not exciting, especially coming from a sporty two-door car(Pontiac Sunfire) But once I got in and realized and the comfort and quality of the ride, my perception changed. The V-6 in great, many people may think it is a slow car, but the 0-60 time is the same as a 00' Mercury Couger. My friends love riding in it with the leather too.

A Really Great Value
By Swimjax on 02/03/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

I love this car! It's 5 years old now with over 97,000 miles on it and it still running fine. Only minor things have been happening recently...headlights going out, lamp in control area replaced, and just fixed a trans leak. Not bad for all those miles! Have had lots of complements on the car. Very roomy and fun to drive, and very reliable.

Reliable car
By Jim Erickson on 01/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. It has been very reliable. I now have 129000 miles on it. Be careful about transmission fluid on this vehicle. You MUST use Chrysler transmission fluid, or you will damage the transmission. The manual warns of this, and they aren't kidding.

Great for the $$$$
By DanMan!!! on 04/18/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

The car has a solid engine and is nicely appointed overall. The vehicle handles well, accelerates decently, and is fairly comfortable. It has needed no work beyond the normal brakes, tune- up, etc. The car has been in the family since new, and now I have got it to replace my 98 Neon. A switch that was a definate step up.

5 Years, No Problems
By stevef-DC on 04/17/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

I was a little nearvous when I bought this car in '98. I had only had Accords and questioned the realibility of American cars. I really liked the aggressive look of the Cirrus front end. Plus, I got a lot more for my money with the Cirrus than I would have with an Accord. At 57000 miles, I have had no problems at all. I am mainly a city driver. The car is louder than some others, but I often have the Infinnity stereo pretty loud so I donl;t notice the road noise. My only complaint with my Chrysler experience is the dealer service. I've been to two dealers and they're both crooks. Chrysler really needs to reign these guys in if they want keep customers.

unexcited
By Braxt828 on 04/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

This is my 3rd Chrysler vehicle. Also the one I am least impressed with. We have had several problems that the dealer has yet to repair. The drivers seat rocks back and forth, and can't seem to be tightened. Air/driving noise is almost unbearable. And don't ever ask me to ride in the back seat again. I had a backache for a week! I never was comfortable with the headlights but thought it was just me until I heard of Consumer Reports' review. Cost of changing the spark plugs was quite high and we still haven't found a good windshield wiper. I have been loyal to Chrysler until this car.

Chrysler Cirrus 1998
By chrae513 on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

Very rough ride, noted bad suspension, trunk leaked since purchased, unable to find source of leak (stuck w/ a defect), repairs have cost me a small fortune since warranty ran out. Not a reliable vehicle. Would not recommend or purchase in the future.

98 Cirrus
By Baskett on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

I've been pretty satisfied with the 98 Chrysler Cirrus. Has been reliable overall. During my 5th year of ownership I began to experience a loss of power (due to spark plugs, wires, distributer needing attention) I've enjoyed a troublefree vehicle during the 1st four years.

My best Mopar yet!
By Bob Wilson on 10/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chrysler Cirrus Sedan LXi 4dr Sedan

I have driven this car about 120000 since new. At about 105,000 miles I had to have seals replaced in auto transmission, and new drive and accessory belts. The dealer recommended replacement of the water pump at that time Also water pump failure beyond 100,000 could happen with major damage resulting. So while in the neighborhood of the pump it seemed wise to replace it. A recent trip of about 1200 miles I averageD slightly over 30 MPG. Planning on a new car in the spring of 2003 awon't drive past a Chrysler dealer to find the replacement car.