Used 1997 Chrysler Cirrus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chrysler Cirrus - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chrysler Cirrus

View reviews for a specific Cirrus model:

Keeps on Tickin'
By raschild

1997 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

This has been a faithful car for my wife and I. For the first three years of our marriage it was our only vehicle and handles the slopes of PA well. Only problems stem from lack of good maintenance by previous owner. This car uses brakes quickly as well. Otherwise it is running strong at nearly 157,000. Gets great mileage on open road, as high as 35, but normally around 30-31. V6 has just enough power, but is very hard to work on (cramped engine compartment). Good maintenance will keep it running for quite awhile. Great car for its age!

Favorite Features

V6 engine, interior design, fuel economy, spacious trunk for its size.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are as poorly placed as any I've seen, although the back seat cup holders aren't bad. Brakes could last longer.

ok car
By red

1997 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

First off this car is NOT for some one who wants to do the work themselves. I have had it 10 years and had to have the trans seas repaced and a $1000 sensor. Brakes are bad I would say all in all for a car that is 12 yrs old it has been above average. It still is peppy

Favorite Features

peppy/ room

Suggested Improvements

make it easier for folks to work on the car

great car if u can afford the gas
By andy

1997 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

I haven't had the car that long and only put maybe 6,000 on it over the last 2-3 months I had it. Not sure because the tack (or whatever the thing that tracks mileage is) doesn't always work. The inside is well designed and roomy. Has cup holder issues. Great stereo, lots of bass for stock. It got me to school everyday and so far to work everyday. Not something you wanna drive from Michigan to Florida because of the gas

Favorite Features

I like the v6, plenty of power for a car this size. excellent stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage. easier to remove the stereo. the front cup holders, not everyone drinks those little cans of pop, a 20 oz barely fits in there, if you put it in park you have to move it.

Why buy Japanese?
By john herrmann

1997 Chrysler Cirrus LXi 4dr Sedan

This vehicle has been in the shop once in 11 years for a minor repair other than normal service. I have consistently gotton 28 to 30 mpg and it handles as well as most sports cars. I have driven everything with 4 to 18 wheels and cannot understand paying 30 to 45 thousand for bells and whistles when this car can still be purchased in the low 20's.

Favorite Features

Handling and gas mileage

171,000 miles and still going
By Mark in PA

1997 Chrysler Cirrus LXi 4dr Sedan

The car was purchased at 95,000 miles. I knew the person & needed something inexpensive. I you are the kind of person who will do oil changes every 3k-4k, transmission serviced every 30k, do the major overhaul/tune-up at 100,000 and again at 160,000 and not abuse the car over bumps/road, this car will last and last. At 171,000 miles now, its no luxury vehicle compared to what's on the road today but it is cheap to operate and and gets pretty good gas milage for a car built in 1997. If you are thinking of purchasing one with lower miles (if you can find one), I'd only purchase if you can be shown repair records. I figure this car will last till 200,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Great handling if equiped with quality tires.

Suggested Improvements

Very hard to work on the motor i.e. difficult to access removal/installation of parts.