1996 Chrysler Cirrus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Cirrus model:
bad problems
By vipcrunked on 01/17/10 10:18 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

their a po300 problem that no one can fix i replaced the following distributor, cap, rotor, egr, vac leaks, spark plug, plug wire, fuel pump, and still says po 300 dealers cant figure it out 6 garges cant figure it out and the funny thing is it run great and always has $2,500 later

Great Car for Value
By Chris Linkenhoker on 12/30/09 19:54 PM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

I am the third owner of this vehicle and it has been great from day one. No major problems at all. Great fuel economy, large trunk, and plenty of interior room. A/C still blows ice cold, all power accessories work, and engine/transmission are great. Car has close to 150000 miles on it now and shows no sign of slowing down soon. Loved this car so much I bought an 06 Stratus and have been equally pleased, but still drive the Cirrus for my everyday car and even on long trips.

Love it
By SolBee on 12/28/07 15:12 PM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and it is the best car I have ever owned! I love it. I had only minor problems except for rear brake lines bursting once. I also note the air conditioning is getting weak now. I guess it is getting pretty old and I hope my next car will be as good.

1996 Chrysler Cirrus - Dark Rosewood
By heyboys on 01/23/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

It was my first time "NEW" car purchase. I do not regret the selection at all!

Enough to make me trust Chrysler . . .
By jmmailin on 07/14/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

After owning a VW Dasher-fun to drive but mechanical disaster; Dodge (Mitsubishi) Colt- reliable, great mileage, but small, poor acceleration, I wanted bigger w/a little style & power. Cirrus served well w/6 cyl providing extra power, comfort, surprisingly roomy interior, + decent mileage (26/30). Few probs but all expensive: computer control module, then A/C compressor, then condensor, major brake job, engine mounts went a early at 90000, but little else for 7 yrs. Extended warranty (both dealer & aftermarket) worthwhile. -Pts for hard to reach battery in driver wheel well; +pts for battery lasting 5 yrs in AZ.

Love This Car!
By Cirrusly Tuned on 12/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

I bought my Cirrus used in 1998 with 50K on the odometer and haven't had a problem with her since. I have done all my own maintenance on the vehicle even though I am a layman when it comes to car repair. I have found quite a few aftermarket parts available and I have spent a little time at the track. The ride quality is good and the engine is peppy. A big bonus is the ability to carry 5 full size adults.

Ok car, but beware reliability gotchas
By jmkf on 11/11/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

This is a very nice car -- when it is working. We have had several major repairs over the life of the car (we are second owners, but might as well have been the first, since we got it with 9k miles). The A/C was addressed twice, the 'spark plugs and engine electrical' many times (until out of warranty when a third-party garage actually found the problem and replaced the alternator/coil assembly), and the climate controls had to be replaced once.

Glad We Bought the Extended Warranty!
By mcambs on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

The poor reliability of my V6 Cirrus LX will prevent me from ever buying Chrysler products again! The styling is great and it was fun to drive but it was often in the shop for MAJOR repairs. The entire air conditioning system was replaced over one extremely hot summer and the entire rack and pinion was also replaced. I'm glad we paid for the extended warranty when we bought the car new! At 70K miles the car began to lurch, accelerate, and die. Neither the dealer nor an independent shop could solve this problem. After $1000 I gave up and traded it in on a VW.

Piece of Crap
By Disgruntled on 06/26/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

Never buy based upon "Car of The Year". This vehicle has been a huge disappointment,from a bad radiator at 40K (approx); a broken control arm bracket at 30K; leaking freeze plugs at 60K; car dies at idle and trys to at highway speeds (dealer twice has not been able to determine the cause), clunking noises in the front left suspension and in the right rear that no one has been able to fix, radio display that quit when new and now the replacement no longer works; an airconditioner unit that had a kinked metal tube that would not allow it to cool below 80, door panels where the paint scratches off around the hand rest...

HEAD GASKET TROUBLE 3 TIMES
By RAFITZ on 03/15/02 18:34 PM (PST)

1996 Chrysler Cirrus LX 4dr Sedan

I have just learned that our Cirrus with only 30,000 miles is in need of it's THIRD HEAD GASKET REPLACEMENT . Yes..THIRD! I called Chrysler and all they are going to do is charge us a % to have the head gasket replaced again.. and by the way, there IS NO GAURENTEE that the $$$ we put into it will be the end. After searching the web, I have learned the Chrysler Cirrus has te same engine as the Neon.. yes.. the neon which is known to have head gasket troubles.. and of course Chrysler DOES NOT stand behind their cars..Thank you Chrysler... And I hope this will help a future buyer from being scammed as we were.