Used 1999 Chrysler 300M Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chrysler 300m - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.5L V6 4-speed Automatic - (102 reviews )

Electrical Ghost Cost me serious money...
By mjanssen

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

I loved this car, my kids loved this car, I enjoyed driving it...I hated giving it up! I was nickled and dimed with the windows and some other small electrical issues and the shifter had to be fixed as well and the air conditioner as well. But the killer was I lost my shirt when it just didn't start up or started up real ugly one day...never drove it again after spending THOUSANDS on "Well, it must be this" and "well, we'll try this"...it got so bad the dealership actually did most of the work at the end for free and brought in a professional who was baffled as well. A friend finally told me to dump it and go on from there...he was right. The ghost won on this one!

Favorite Features

LOVED DRIVING THIS, it was a great, comfortable and classy ride.

Suggested Improvements

It ws close to the ground and a little hard to get in and out of..and I beleive they straightened out the electrical issues on the newer models

Will it be a classic?
By jefe4x4

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

We bought in 1998 and had problems with the sound system right off. Finally replaced the whole sys. on warranty and worked fine after that. At 140K mi. it's as good as ever. Replaced frnt. tie rods @102K; the radiator @ 135K mi. I like the car, and I don't like most of the cars I've owned. It is our 'summer' car now as we live in snow country and with 4" of clearance it's not going to push snow like our Jeep, although the limited slip frnt diff works well on snow. It's not worth anything and just keeps going and going so we'll keep it till it stops moving. We try to keep it up as I'm thinking more and more like this will be a Mopar classic. We won't live long enough to know, however.

Favorite Features

It is a great car for long car trips. Seats are very comfortable. Me thinks because of the arrow shape of the body, it gets very good mpg even at speed. Our average mileage @ 75 mph is 28 mpg. Huge trunk. Seats 5 big people easily. We ordered it without the sun roof. With the s. roof, it was too low for a tall person driving.

Suggested Improvements

Battery is in an awkward place. small plastic interior parts break easily.

BEWARE OF ELECTRICAL ISSUES!!! (but I'm going to miss it!)
By ekasser11

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

I first bought this car at an auction at 195,000 miles and it was overheating and the lights were not working, cost me about $250 to fix. Later on, it kept randomly shutting down on me and ended up being the fuel sensor which cost me another $230. I got the car all checked out an drove it from Texas to New Hampshire up through Canada with NO PROBLEMS! Then a couple months after I got here, it shut down on me again, not to ever start back up...the guy now says that the problems are so extensive because of the electrical issues that even if I were to get them fixed it would just break down again in the future, BUYERS BEWARE!

Favorite Features

The heated seats, the stereo is AWESOME! Very comfortable leather seats, engine runs like a charm! Cruise control!! Woot! Plenty of space in the trunk and the back seat, remote starter, automatic headlights, slick design :)

Suggested Improvements

Alternator needs to be more reliable (it wouldn't start TWICE even though it had a new battery in it). Just everything in the car was sooo broken, the electrical issues especially!

I am going to Miss This Car!
By nursediesel

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

Had this car since it was a 2002 and had to give it up after 8 years of ownership. Nice styling, power and a comfortable ride. Changed the oil ever 3K and pampered it. Only problems were 1: Power Window Regulators (replaced 3 of them) 2: Chrome wheels began flaking and wouldn't hold tire pressure - had 4 wheels resurfaced $500. 3: Had to update the radio finally after CD stopped working This car would have probably gone to 250K miles, but it began to nickel and dime me. Latest quote was $2,000 for new struts and tranny was slipping a bit between 2nd and 3rd so it was time to move or have a possible money-pit starting.

Favorite Features

Ice cold A/C, Smooth Ride, Power, Heated Seats, Styling

I Hate To Give It Up
By Art

1999 Chrysler 300M 4dr Sedan

Mine just got totaled! Daily driver commuting to work from 12/99 until I retired 6/06. Since then occasional use only. Serviced at recommended intervals and Mobil 1 and filter every 3K miles. The ONLY repair it has ever required is replacing the drive motor on the driver's window and I live in a very icy climate that destroys power windows and windshield wiper mechanisms. It is the only vehicle I've ever owned that I can literally say I never had problems with it and it ran as well on the day it died as it did on the day I bought it. I kept telling myself that it was getting old and I should get a new car but I never found anything I liked better that didn't have a 3-pointed star.

Favorite Features

I liked everything about it. Most remarkable feature is that you could fold the seat down and the thing practically became a truck.

Suggested Improvements

I had to put drain holes in the bottoms of the mirrors because water would stand and freeze in winter. A short driver would have trouble with rear vision.