2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Chrysler 300 - Consumer Reviews

2006 300 Consumer Reviews

SRT-8 6.1L V8 5-speed Automatic - (74 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Love Hate Relationship!
By limopaul

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Loved this car from the day I drove it home. One owner black beauty only mod was a K&N drop in filter and I added a Borla exhaust system. Hella fast and fun to drive. Well maintained and garage kept, used as a Livery sedan and purchased with about 93k miles. Replaced front strut assemblies and wheel bearings (pricey). Car is nose heavy by design. All went well without any issues until cruising in the fast lane at about 70mph Engine lost power without warning, barely made it off of freeway and car had died at the offramp. Stranded with clients in car 85 miles from home! Broken valve spring, bent valve and pushrod, Had heads redone and with tow bill about a $2500 breakdown. Sold it

Favorite Features

Great styling and performance. High maintenance and repair costs.

Great First Car
By bm0rri5

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I'm a 17 year old and I received this car as a gift from parents. I got the car in November of 2010, with 39,800 miles. In March 2011, I got rid of it (to get a Range Rover). within those 4mo, I had already put 5000+ miles on it. I loved to drive this gas guzzling, 425HP beast. I'm a dragracer, been doing it for 8yrs, and I must say, this car will pin you back in the seat, hard. No matter what speed you floor it at!! Within the 4mo, of owner ship; I only had two problems. 1) Sometimes the AC would start acting funny & not run properly. 2) Once or twice it wouldn't start on the first try, but would on the second try. Other than, I 100000% recommend this car, to ANYBODY. It's a blast to drive!

Favorite Features

UConnect Bluetooth, Navigation, 425HP, Headlights, Trunk Space, Width & Length, & Overall Space

Suggested Improvements

GAS MILEAGE!!, Touchscreen Navigation, Front & Rear Seat A/C, Rear Seat-Heaters, Better Lumbar Support (comfortable seats but needs improvement), & GAS MILEAGE, again!

SRT8
By Don O

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

The car has been awesome! I bought w/12k Miles and the Car stock was very fast w/425 Hsp. With few bolt on modes the car is close to 500. A whole group of dedicated followers are on-line waiting to share info. Parts are very reasonable. Gas Mileage is where you would expect, drive like your in the Indy 500 and you'll get 13 MPG, baby it and it's 18. Every time you start your SRT8 a Prius cries. Very tight ride, good handling for a 4200 lbs car with plenty of peddle. You can turbo your ride and have more power than a Lambo but why it has more tha enough. Exhaust makes the car sound like a Beast! SRT8 is a total sleeper and is the most bang for your buck you can possible get!

Favorite Features

Great looks, plenty of power! Brakes are great w/Brembo's. 20's look great!

Suggested Improvements

There are lots of people that this is their hobby! Lot's of things you can add. But you definitely need a cold air intake, grill, exhaust, diablo tuner, bigger tires, Windows tinted!

Best car I have ever owned !!!!
By Chris

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

This is without a doubt the best car I have ever purchased. I have had roughly 16 new vehicles of all makes and models. This car is so fast and fun to drive. It has more horsepower than just about anything on the road. It handles like a race car and accelerates like on too. I bought this car because it was the only 4 door on the dealer's lot with a DVD in it for my 3 year old daughter. She was driving me crazy on road trips.. Little did I know what exactly I had just done. I just purchased the best car for the value on the market today.

Favorite Features

DVD, Nav, Engine(HP), Suede inserts in leather.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are the only problem I could complain about. This car is heavy and goes through brakes and rotors. But still well worth that little expense to have a car that performs like it does.

Satisfied
By Dave

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

At 41000 miles, I give Chrysler the thumbs up for this one. This car has been fun to drive. The tires don't last long but that is a result of the tire melting 425 hp. The brakes also make this car great. The brembos really bring this heavy car to a halt. Overall a great vehicle.

A true performance sedan
By Greg

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

The Chrysler 300 SRT 8 takes performance too a whole new level. I previously owned a 300 C and I thought it was impresive but the SRT8 goes to another level. I love the sport/muscle car performance and also all of the luxuries of a world class sedan.

Favorite Features

U connect Phone system

Suggested Improvements

Interior Eurgonomics. The interior is nice but the instrumantation could be better.

My Hemi Is Bigger Than My Husbands
By Hemi Girl

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I'm parting ways with my SRT8 after almost 2 years. My employer is putting us back in company cars. It has been the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. From the day I drove it home I got thumbs up signs from drivers on the highway, people still walk over to talk about it when I'm gassing it up, I've owned Mercedes E class, Audi A6's and various other not so exotic cars but this car has been the best. I average 18 around town, get 21-22 on the hwy, never had a mechanical issue, original brakes, only second set of tires, we live in Minnesota and the traction/stability system kept us on track in the worst weather. Love the U Connect, the Navi, I have had some tickets too, its fast!

Favorite Features

Black Met, U Connect, navigation, Xenon lights, huge brakes, power, looks, ride, flawless reliability. I kept my husband away from it. He's got a Grand Cherokee Hemi to play with! I'm really going to miss this car.

Suggested Improvements

More power? Really I liked it the way it was, I don't need to manually shift it, the computer does fine. Tried manually shifting it to see if it accellerated faster, I don't think it made any difference. The leather on the driver seat is a little soft from the wear point of view.

You Gotta Have This Car
By jamesdtuttle

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a 2006 300C SRT8 from Carmax and am VERY pleased. The SRT8 has great luxury features (I compare to my Lincoln Town Car) and has superior features to the other 300s. The handling is superb, brakes are unreal, and the 6.1 hemi is the ultimate. An American muscle car V8 to the max. It has incredible throttle response, awe-inspiring power, and a delicious muscle car sound. Sedate and well mannered, it nevertheless will pull like a freight train heading into a black hole when you put your foot in it. Downsides? Compared to my Town Car, it's noisy. Gas mileage ain't in the stratosphere. Plusses? It sticks to the road like glue, has every luxury feature known to man, & HEMI!

Favorite Features

Unreal Hemi power, great handling, superb stopping, excellent luxury features.

Suggested Improvements

Mechanical limited slip, more power (you never have enough), better sound deadening.

Bang for dollar
By srt8

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

I have had my srt8 06 n ow for 1 1/2 years. All I can say is for the price it's the biggest bang for your Buck. I installed mopar lowered suspension kit, cold air, and exhaust. Big improvement over stock. I'm lucky enough to live not far from Hennessey performance engineering and the things they can do. Awesome. Have made numerous high speed test in West Texas, at 165 on smooth road handles good, but rough road at high speed better hold on, it gets tricky. Still lots of fun. Enjoy if your lucky enough to own one.

Favorite Features

performance, fuel mileage of 22 at cruise set 85, looks.

Suggested Improvements

High speed road handling, some electrical quirks

An Ominous Voice
By Mr. Dissappointed

2006 Chrysler 300 SRT-8 SRT-8 4dr Sedan (6.1L 8cyl 5A)

Where do I begin? I bought the car in 2006, and rarely drive it. It has only 8000 miles of driving at this time. The gravel shield has fallen off - protected under the warranty. Now the Front End Bumper has completely fallen off as a result of the low to the ground design, when parking in stalls and approaching the parking stop. I have to pay $2600 to have it fix. I blame myself-for trying to spur the US Economy and not following my orig. feelings of buying a Non US vehicle. I would like to sell it - but have about 6k invested in after market products and services. I like the style of the car and the okay with the interior comfort. I will be getting rid of it this coming year. What a waste?

Favorite Features

The style, Up to date technology features - blue tooth, Navigator, memory settings, Sirius radio, the grill - Rolls Royce replacement.

Suggested Improvements

Raise the car to a normal level. Manuf. take responsibility in their pathetic design flaws, and not rip consumer off this way. Inevitably, it will catch up with them - folks like me will continue by distrusting of the US Auto Makers, and continue buying non US cars.