Used 2012 Chrysler 200 Consumer Reviews - 36 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2012 Chrysler 200 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 200 model:

Great acceleration and sharp car
By Kay

2012 Chrysler 200 S 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this brand new and got great pricing. Was unsure about buying a Chrysler but this car has 80000 miles on it and I have not had one bit of trouble. My husband is tall and not real flexible so he has trouble getting in easily. My son is taller (and younger) and has no difficulty getting in and out. The trunk space is too small for long vacations if 4 of us go, but we have made do. It also has a larger turn radius than I like. It handles well otherwise and has been fun to drive. The gas mileage has been great. Traveled last weekend and averaged 31.6 mpg. I am gifting this car to my son for his graduate school career.

Will never buy another Chrysler
By Roger T

2012 Chrysler 200 LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Wish I could afford to sue Chrysler for how off they are about the MPG. Have done regular maintenance on this vehicle over the 3 years I have owned it. No matter how easy I drive this vehicle I have yet to see overy 24 MPG. My average since owning the car is 21. This IS a 4 cylinder. Next, the acceleration is terrible. You press the pedal expecting it to go, wait 3-4 seconds of almost standstill then finally some movement. Not safe if you ask me when defensive driving is important. Braking has never been good. Any quick stop results in the entire vehicle shaking from its horrible anti lock. I have already been told that the brakes and rotors are good so again just terrible mechanics. There are many other things but my biggest pet peeve is the tricks Chrysler uses to force you back to the dealership for maintenance. For example, if you want to change the battery you must remove the front bumper, remove the headlight and then the battery. Even just changing the headlight bulb requires the same thing or removing the plastic in the wheel well. Ridiculous is putting it gently. Just look elsewhere at all costs. Buyer beware.

This car sucks
By Chandler

2012 Chrysler 200 Touring 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the car certified used with 14,000 miles on it. Was fine until we got about 34,000 miles on and noticed jerking from the transmission. Took it to the dealer couldn't recreate the jerking they said let check the grand fluid it may be the problem it was about a quart and a half short. It still did the jerking after many transmission shops and talking with the dealer it took about 6 months to a year before the would believe me so they had me bring it in after about 6 hours they called and the bearing in the transmission had failed. Would have thought that they would put a new transmission to my surprise repared new parts a year later the same jerking and sluggishness when driving and yes I called the company and no help the dealer (galeana Chrysler of Columbia South Carolina was no help sales men said it was my moms fault for signing the paperwork. No one give me an answer for why the transmission so that low on fluid and the company was no help at all WILL NEVER E VER BUY ANOTHER CHRYSLER OR FROM THEAT DEALERSHIP AGAIN OR ANY DEALER THEY OWN

Too many problems to be this new
By Brocenter

2012 Chrysler 200 S 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I have a 2012 Chrysler 200. I have had it for 2.5 years. I purchased the extended warranties thank goodness. The heater core went out on the passenger side a year after I purchased the car. I also had a recall done on the drivers side head rest in 2014. In 2016 while driving home the drivers side head rest deployed hitting me in the back of the head VERY hard while driving. I'm lucky it didn't knock me out. All I wanted was my car fixed and Chrysler has sent their person over and did a review and sent me a letter stating it was nothing they did on their part. So of course now I have my attorney involved. I could have went to the doctor and built up a million in doctor bills because I know I have neck damage and it's causing issues with my arms but I just wanted my car fixed. I really like my car, but it only has 69K miles on it and it should not be having these issues. It handled really poorly when I first got it but I put good Toyo tires on it and now it handles great. I hope they don't make a huge fight out of this because I really want to keep my car but I will get rid of it and never by Chrysler again if they don't take responsibility.

Stuck with this for a few months
By Fred Theoalagan

2012 Chrysler 200 LX 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Have a Chrysler 200 that was rented for me for a few months. Had it one week and already hate it. Transmission is annoying. Feels like something is wrong with car but apparently there isn't, was just told that's what the car does. They have a fleet and they all do the same thing, I was told. It makes it feel like I am constantly making small acceleration/deceleration changes but I am not. Very uncomfortable when driven more than a few miles. Rides is bad but can't tell if its the transmission or suspension. Layout of and type of controls is nothing short of goofy. The shift control is a knob right near all the radio knob controls, making it easy to reach for the wrong one. Plus counterintuitive controls so it is uncomfortable to use. Emergency Brake is electric. Seems entire car is dependent on a computer for all controls so, nothing manual. Hate to know what would happen if the car's decided to accelerate on its own. There would be no manual control to intervene. If you are six feet or taller your head will rub against the ceiling in the back seat. Does look nice though...