2015 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 12 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2015 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (12 reviews )

Much Better Than Expected
By Ricky Moore

2015 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

First US - Build car since 1987. Great ride, very comfortable, good vision just a little tight vision from the rear like most cars, mirrors take care of that problem. Smooth shifting, no interior noise , very quick acceleration and braking. Handles well and sticks to the road, very predictable where it's heading. Instrumentation is logical and easy to reach while driving. Could use additional glovebox./storage. Rear seating may be a little tight for larger adults, front seats have massive room and great headroom.

my first electric car
By Jim

2015 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Ended up buying an electric car after being exposed to my son's leaf. The leaf was not considered as his is now 2 years old and he has already lost 20% of battery capacity. He has a 2013 which had the heat sensitive battery

My least favorable experience was of course the buying experience.
(How can they get you to pay more). Stickered at over $40000 as They had added $1700 for window tinting, plus car had navigation and premium bose sound system $995, premium trim package $1395 which included heated front seats, suede interior leather, rear center pass thru armrest, - crystal red tint coat $495, Cargo area cover $110 and cargo net $90.
When I first saw the sticker i just told them i never pay for window tinting. So they came back with a new sticker of $38,800 (the $1700 for window tinting had disappeared).
The end result was i got the car for $35000, about $3800 below the adjusted sticker of $38800.
I probably would not have purchased this car had it not been eligible for the $7500 federal tax credit (which reduced my purchase price to about $27500.)
Before buying it on my own I tried using the AAA buying service. He came back and said "you will pay at a minimum $35000 - they could not get a price lower than that".

That being said, the volt is an impressive car.
It was a good choice for us as the 45-47 mile range pretty much covers all of our trips. (This higher range - factory info. gives a 38 mile range- is due to the following
1) most of our driving is in ideal moderate weather
2) our driving is typically at 40-50 mph in suburban driving.
3) I also exclusively drive in "LOW". (This should be called economy as it's purpose is to provide much more battery charging when U let up on the gas. It has no impact on gearing.
4)There typically are no more than 2 people in the car and we are both under 160 lbs. - less weight means longer battery range.

Now for more good news.The volt is an impressive car!!!
I love the volt. It drives beautifully, is quick, quiet, and reliable(based on others comments plus our experience so far). We purchased the car in October and have about 7000 miles on the car. We are averaging over 270 mpg!!!! and have used just over 25 gallons of gas in the first 7000 miles)
A great feature for us is that you can preheat or cool the cabin while the car is plugged in - this saves battery by getting the car cabin to a comfortable temp before you drive.
Their are only a few items that I dislike most of which are minor.
1. the cabin is small and confining - We of course knew that when we purchased it and we can live with that.
2) the cars air dam will often scrape the curb when you park so need to be careful when pulling in to a parking spot. (did not realize this initially)
3)car is very low and visibility is less than I would like but again we knew that when we purchased the car.
4) the car has 2 levels of 120 volt charging , 8amp and 12 amp, you may not be able to get a full charge overnight using the 8 amp setting - especially if you need the car early in the am. The 12 amp level must be manually set each time you charge as the car always resets to the 8 amp setting.
5) By far the one feature that to me is most serious is the console controls for heat, cooling,radio etc.-they are absolutely terrible. There are no buttons,indents, etc. that identify by touch where each item is controlled, just a place in the center of the dash between the driver and passenger seat where you touch. Which means u must take you eyes off the road to do pretty much anything just to find the correct place to push on the console. You may also have to change screens to make a change .We have solved that problem by having the passenger handle the console settings when I drive.

Also, as a side note some interesting items re. the volt. (At least interesting to me)
1(the cars operating systems are complex- for example, it has several cooling systems, the car will also automatically run (but only for a few minutes)the ice if you run exclusively on electric as that is needed to maintain the ice components.
2) Car is to be kept plugged in when not in use as that maintains the correct battery temperature. the car will automatically run one (or more?) of the cooling systems if parked in a hot Phx. garage - our garage will get to over 100degrees in the summer. IT will also run the battery heater in cold weather to maintain the correct battery temp.
3)As an side benefit , Our power company now has a time of day program where we can pay only $.06 per kilowatt if we charge at night so we will be switching to that this month.
4) Car charging can be set to automatically charge only on off peak hours.
All I can think of for now as I am not in any way techi and am learning as I go.

Overall a wonderful car!!!!

One sweet vehicle
By Mike

2015 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have owned for over a year now and am still very satisfied with this Volt. Great ride, especially for a small car. Plenty of room for driver and passenger. Back seats are nice, but not much leg room. OK for small kids though. The back seats do fold down, to give you more room to carry things. Drove car from Michigan to Florida and back and averaged 40.3 miles per gallon. Drove 70 mph both ways and had no problems at all. The technology in this car is amazing. The weather really effects how much the battery system will charge. In the summer my Volt will charge to 40 miles ranges per charge, but in the cold weather, it only charges to 32 miles on a full charge. My can is always kept in a garage. My only problem is where the power (on and off) button is located. It is very easy to accidentally turn the car off when going down the road. I am surprised no one has been killed because of this happening on the freeway. I think when something terrible like this happens, Chevrolet will be paying out big money.

Positive volt
By john

2015 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Great comfortable, functional, and fun car. Many positives. Rear seat room just above adequate. Negatives are: Climate controls are too complex. Heat is a big drain on the battery.. even being careful it cuts range by 20%. Exterior gap and fit still not up to Japanese quality.

Fun and economical drive, but poor controls
By Gabriel Teixeira

2015 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The car is indeed very economical, but you should mind that it uses only premium fuel, which is not so economical in money after all. It is electrifying fun to accelerate yet it does not invite you to drive fast. I would put it in sport mode and leave the traffic lights in front of everybody, but I was never compelled to go faster than the speed limits. The interior is really comfortable, but mind that it just takes 4 persons. The trunk space is reasonably big, considering it is a compact. But the controls for the audio, ventilation or navigation are really hard to use while driving. It is easy to mistype the buttons since they are capacitive and often I would touch them and there would be no response. Besides that since it has no tactile feedback, I would have to turn the attention away from road to do simple tasks.