Highest Owner Satisfaction Two Years In.A Row
By davidsvolt on
2014 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
My current overall milage is 69.8 mpg and climbing. I expect my overall milage will be over 100 mpg after a few more months of driving. With my current commute of 56 miles daily I typically drive 42 miles on a charge, then it switches to gas, seamlessly, for the remaking 14 miles. It's range is well over 300 miles per tank. It currently takes 10 hours to charge the car using the charger that comes with the car. It plugs in to any standard wall outlet. It cost about $1.50 to charge completely. You can buy a 220 volt charger that cuts charging time down to less than 4 hours. I paid $31,900 -$7,500 Fed tax rebate - $1,500 Ca rebate = $22,900 + tax/ license. That is a total steal.
Favorite Features
The best feature of this vehicle is it has a unique power train that allows the typical driver to use the car like an electric vehicle, but also have the range of a gas vehicle. Unlike a Prius, the volt is fast, handles great, extremely quiet, has very powerful breaks, and is very fun to drive. The Volt is also cheaper than the plug in Prius after the Federal rebate. I love the fact that it is all electric for the first 42 miles. The engine does not turn on until the charge is depleted, even if you gun it to 100 mph. Inside the dash and computers are awesome. I've driven a lot of cars (Vette, Avalanche, Charger, Golf, Passat, Camery, etc) in my life, but this Volt is easily my favorite.
Suggested Improvements
Improvements: like an air cabin filter and a better quality owners manual and a place to put it when your not reading it (see how VW does it). The front air dam is really low. I have noticed most reviews made on the Volt are full of misinformation. The fact that the car goes over 40 miles on a charge, while the Prius plug in can only go about 12 miles is a really big deal. Factor in that the Volt out performs the Prius in almost every category. When customers realize the Volt is cheaper, faster, better milage, quieter, and doesn't look like a Prius, there will be trouble in Japan. The Volt has the highest customer satisfaction for a reason, because it is a great car!
By disbeliever
on 02/04/14 16:11 PM (PST)

I like the volt concept - no range worries. I drive 42 miles back and forth everyday to work, but go to a college once in a while, which is extra 90 miles. I'm wondering, how long the battery will last if it is fully drained and recharged everyday. I hear, Lithium-ion batteries can be recharged about 1000 times. Does it mean, the car is toast in 3 years? Is the replacement battery included in price/covered by battery warranty? Do these cars need the usual 30k/60k/90k mile service? What is the cost of replacement battery pack? I think these are critical questions the EV manufactures should answer to convince the disbelievers.

By davidsvolt
on 03/09/14 23:57 PM (PDT)

Update: my lifetime milage has increased to 130 mpg, and I now anticipate it to climb to 225 mpg by jan 2015. Many Volt owners get 900 mpg if they drive less than 40 miles a day. Yah, 900 mpg. Unbelievable! I have also increased my electric range from 42 miles on a charge to 48 miles by driving the car in low instead of drive. I am not a hyper miler, and love dropping it in sport when I have enough range before a recharge. The Volt is amazingly fast off the line with 274 lbs of torque at 0 rpm. Driving in low instantly applies the regenerative brakes when you lift your foot up from the accelerator. Absolutely awesome for bumper to bumper traffic in LA. I rarely use my brakes at all. I never have brake dust on my rims anymore. I now average 280 mpg on my 56 mile commute to work daily. I use .20 gallons of gas to drive 56 miles. Occasionally I only use .17 gallons (329 mpg). What does a Prius get 50 mpg, maybe 60 mpg... Who cares! It is a lot less, huh? In fact, it's not even close and the more people know about it the better. Regarding the battery questions. The Volt, like Prius, never depletes or charges fully, therefore it lasts much longer than expected. Unlike the Prius, the volt maintains an optimal battery temp by cooling it, or warming it, as needed to preserve it. It comes with an 8 year/ 100,000 mile warranty. In 8 years battery prices will be much less than they are today. My battery seems to actually be getting stronger and increasing in range over the last 4 months. The maintenance schedule on the Volt is a joke. Basically it's maintenance free. I have driven 4,500 miles and I still have 89% oil life left. I don't use the brakes anymore since driving in Low. I will change my oil every 30,000 miles. The transmission has direct drive. The motor rarely turns on, so after 100,000 miles on my car, the engine will have maybe 10,000 miles on it. Looking at the Volt maintenance schedule really brings a smile to my face because it's not going to cost me hardly anything. 5 year/ 60,000 power train warranty. I paid $22,900 for a car that beats a Prius in all things that matter (speed, handling, braking, fun to drive, etc.) and it is getting 280 mpg on my 56 mile commute. Oil companies and Toyota hate this car and are going to do everything they can to make you think it sucks. Test drive one, drive a hard bargain of $31,195 before rebates and you too can drive by gas stations for months without every adding a drop of gas. Oh, by the way it costs a dollar to charge it (10 cents/ kW hour) and drive 48 miles per charge. A Prius drives about 48 miles per gallon, but here in CA a gallon of gas doesn't cost a dollar ($4.07/gal). My electric bill has actually decreased slightly because I am on the EV plan with my electric company, so technically it costs me nothing to charge it. Love the a Volt!

By jasontran
on 05/05/14 16:02 PM (PDT)

You are such an expert. Thanks for your thouroughful review. I have just bought my Volt after 2 hours test-drive. Indeed, it drives very well, quietly, and very quick...I love the 4-mode driving that gives me a lot of fun ( especially Sport mode). I just went into Southern California Edison Website, and found out I can have a separate bill on my Volt, and they only chage 11 cent per kwh ( from 9pm to 6am). I am really happy!