2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (14 reviews )

New GM is Just Public Relations Gimmick
By David R Haarz

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have a 2014 Volt and really like the car. However, I question GM and its dealers' commitment to customer satisfaction in general and the Volt specifically. In December, 2014 GM issues a "Customer Satisfaction Program" which it also calls a "recall" regarding a liftgate strut. Six months after the program starts GM dealers say they need at least 2 weeks to get the part. The GM Recall Center says part is "back ordered." Most likely GM and its dealers (ie. Koons in Northern VA) do not stock the part because they want to make it harder for people to get the repair made. This is the "New GM" folks!

Not what it's claimed to be
By mikemaj

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I am really disappointed, my issues is the electricity and bogus claims that's made by salespeople/dealers as how much it actually costs to charge the Volt; 1. If you live in Los Angeles charging the car can be quite costly, pushing you to Tier 3 and skyrocket your electric bill. 2. Battery life is really lame on range. 3. With nowadays gas prices it's not even economical to charge this car. Volt is an okay car to drive, but one should consider all aspects before buying or leasing. Performance for a car is a 2, comfort gets a four needs better seats. Interior/exterior gets a 3. Build quality a 2, and reliability to soon to comment. I would not recommend the Volt

Car pool sticker.

Battery range. Cost of charging. Memory seats. Handling. View angles. Sunroof. Value and quality.

Best car I ever bought - hands down!
By kflannery1

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Purchased my Volt in May. Currently have 4,500 miles - 97% electric - still have 200 miles left on the tank of gas from the dealership. My commute to work is 37 miles and I average 45-50 miles per charge driving conservatively. Myvolt website & Onstar app work great. Acceleration is very good, ride is very nice, build quality seems excellent and crash test scores are great. Back seat passengers have no complaints - no it's not a limo, but fine for average sized passenger. Little touches like automatic door lock as you leave the car just add to the great experience. If your commute is 20-100 miles this is a great choice. Purchased many cars - Volt beats them all - not even a close 2nd.

Mileage, preset radio volume for start, Onstar app on IPAD, IPHONE, information displays, automatic door lock leaving vehicle. Ride, comfort, handling in turns - it's all good!

Power seats (with memory) - although manual seats are easily adjustable. Ability to set default 12 amp charging (when using 120 vt charger it defaults to 8 amps after driving - before leaving vehicle you must reset to 12 amps each time (this is easy to forget and increases charging time from about 10 hrs to 16 hrs with a competely discharged battery. Rear windshield wiper (not a big deal, but a minor annoyance in wet weather).

New Volt Owner
By dodman1

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My son recently bought a new Tesla which prompted me to consider an EV. The Tesla is fantastic, but it's out of my price range and I don't really need the 270 miles of range offered by the Tesla. I researched the current crop of EV's quite extensively and decided the Volt made the most sense for me. I am retired and generally drive less than 30 miles a day. I ended buying a 2014 equipped with just the heated seat option. I didn't want NAV, Camera's, and other high tech options. Been driving for 50 plus years and have gotten really good at using my rear and side mirrors! The Federal Tax Credit, State rebate, and liberal Dealer discount was too good to pass up.

The Volt is a very, very nice car. I have owned Mercedes, BMW, and Audi and this car feels as solid as anything I have ever owned. The feature set in my base model is very impressive as are the handling characteristics and ride. The electronics give the driver very good feedback and make you very aware of the energy you are using prompting you to drive as efficiently as possible. Today I did a rare 63 mile round trip to visit family and the Volt yielded 50 miles on electric and 13 miles on 4/10's of a gallon of gas for an average of 135 MPG. All other driving I have done thus far has been totally electric so my average MPG is fantastic.

Like everyone else I guess I would like more electric range and a more efficient ICE for extended range driving. It would also be good to increase the capacity of the on board changer. I have been using the supplied 110V EVSE which is adequate, but recently purchased a Clipper Creek 15 AMP 240V unit which should cut the charge time from 10 hours to 3 or 4 hours. This meets my needs but the ability to charge in and hour our two would be an asset for many. I really didn't realize how a Volt was different to other EV's until I did my research. I suggest you do your legwork and if you are in the market for a new Car, today is a great time to bargain.

Love the Volt!
By mannix6

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Just added our second new Volt (2014) after enjoying our 2013 for one year. We were skeptical on buying the 2013 at first, having previously owned 6 Prius models (including the Plug-In). Many of the reviews claim the car is no better than a Prius, but this is ridiculous. The Volt is more comfortable, faster and has amazing technological features that still aren't available on the Prius. The dealer service network is also better. We drive on electric all week and use the car for 250+ mile trips on weekends with an overall average of 194 mpg, consistently. No Prius could come close to this. (Exact same use with the Prius Plug-In netted a consistent 63 mpg.)

Love the large touch screen displays, the excellent sound system, the durable black cloth seats and the smooth/ quiet operation. It has the feel and quality of a very expensive luxury car.

GM should forget about redesigning the Volt and instead expand the line of cars using the technology. We have owned many Corvettes and would love to see a Stingray with the Volt technology. It would be amazing! They should also make Suburbans, Tahoes, Silverado trucks and vans with the technology. It would be revolutionary.