2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2014 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (12 reviews )

Most Helpful|
Why would you buy a Prius?
By natefair

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is a great deal and a great car. Here is the math: $34,000 price, minus $10,000 back (CA pays $2500 of that), minus the gas savings which is about $100/month for me (all-electric mode means I often go 900 miles on a tank of gas and electric power is equivalent to $1.50/"gallon"). So after 10 years this car will have been far more economical than a Prius. Hybrids always use some gas (47 mpg-ish) but the Volt uses none for the first 40 miles (100 mpg equivalent). After that it gets at least 37 mpg.

Favorite Features

I would buy this car even it wasn't so economical. The car leaps from a dead stop to 40 mph impressively and has sporty handling yet is really quiet as it always uses electric power (no shifting gears) since the gas engine is really a generator. The appearance in person is better than the photos show (go with red). The technology and dash controls are quite impressive and fairly intuitive. It has more features than I can even go into, but I love how it works with my phone for music and directions and it's nice to remotely power it on while still plugged in to get the temperature comfortable before driving. All the automatic features make sense - locks, radio, etc.

Suggested Improvements

I had to spend some time with the manual because it does so many things, so many ways, and not everything is intuitive. The technology is not like my iPhone. This is also a small car, so be sure to sit in one to see if you fit. I'm medium build and actually enjoy the size of the seats, but the visibility when looking over my left shoulder is more limited than I am used to, but adequate.

Love the Volt!
By mannix6

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Just added our second new Volt (2014) after enjoying our 2013 for one year. We were skeptical on buying the 2013 at first, having previously owned 6 Prius models (including the Plug-In). Many of the reviews claim the car is no better than a Prius, but this is ridiculous. The Volt is more comfortable, faster and has amazing technological features that still aren't available on the Prius. The dealer service network is also better. We drive on electric all week and use the car for 250+ mile trips on weekends with an overall average of 194 mpg, consistently. No Prius could come close to this. (Exact same use with the Prius Plug-In netted a consistent 63 mpg.)

Favorite Features

Love the large touch screen displays, the excellent sound system, the durable black cloth seats and the smooth/ quiet operation. It has the feel and quality of a very expensive luxury car.

Suggested Improvements

GM should forget about redesigning the Volt and instead expand the line of cars using the technology. We have owned many Corvettes and would love to see a Stingray with the Volt technology. It would be amazing! They should also make Suburbans, Tahoes, Silverado trucks and vans with the technology. It would be revolutionary.

2014 Volt Rocks!
By havityourway2

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

We purchased a new Volt after careful contemplation and evaluation of alternatives available. We have never owned a hybrid or electric car. We haven't purchased a new car from a US automaker in over 20 years. We have owned this car for about a month now. So far, it has exceeded our expectations in all regards: comfort, performance (it is quick- particularly in "sport" mode), energy efficiency, build quality.

Favorite Features

Build quality, engineering, effective merging of technologies. Electric and fuel economy is outstanding. Here in western Colorado, electricity per kilowatt hour is relatively inexpensive. Most of our driving has been in town or local- nearly all on electricity. If we drive it 40 miles per day every day, our monthly electric bill will increase by 15 dollars. We have used about one gallon of gas over the course of our first month of driving. We love the onboard generator (engine) that allows us to take the car on cross country trips.

Suggested Improvements

Quicker charge time would be nice. Extend the electric only range from approximately 40 miles to 60 or more per charge.

Not what it's claimed to be
By mikemaj

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I am really disappointed, my issues is the electricity and bogus claims that's made by salespeople/dealers as how much it actually costs to charge the Volt; 1. If you live in Los Angeles charging the car can be quite costly, pushing you to Tier 3 and skyrocket your electric bill. 2. Battery life is really lame on range. 3. With nowadays gas prices it's not even economical to charge this car. Volt is an okay car to drive, but one should consider all aspects before buying or leasing. Performance for a car is a 2, comfort gets a four needs better seats. Interior/exterior gets a 3. Build quality a 2, and reliability to soon to comment. I would not recommend the Volt

Favorite Features

Car pool sticker.

Suggested Improvements

Battery range. Cost of charging. Memory seats. Handling. View angles. Sunroof. Value and quality.

New GM is Just Public Relations Gimmick
By David R Haarz

2014 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have a 2014 Volt and really like the car. However, I question GM and its dealers' commitment to customer satisfaction in general and the Volt specifically. In December, 2014 GM issues a "Customer Satisfaction Program" which it also calls a "recall" regarding a liftgate strut. Six months after the program starts GM dealers say they need at least 2 weeks to get the part. The GM Recall Center says part is "back ordered." Most likely GM and its dealers (ie. Koons in Northern VA) do not stock the part because they want to make it harder for people to get the repair made. This is the "New GM" folks!