2013 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Review: 2013 Volt is a Geek Dream

2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Review

Base 4dr Hatchback (0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive)

2013 Volt is a Geek Dream
By geekdream on

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is a great car to drive. I have owned the car for 12 months and have used about 12 gallons of gas! I am currently getting about 550MPG. If you dive less than 35 miles per day on average then you can get significantly higher gas mileage than what is published. The car normally runs on electricity until the batteries run low and then automatically switches to a gas powered generator to power the electric motor. The battery will typically give you between 30-40 miles per charge depending on driving habits and outdoor temperature. My average commute per day is about 27 miles. My car is running on battery 95% of the time and uses gas 5% of the time. My favorite car that I have owned.

Favorite Features

You can optionally defer running on batteries and select gas for certain situations. Let's say a trip you are taking will require about 20 miles of stop and go and 30 miles of highway. To get the best fuel economy, you can switch to battery when in stop and go and switch to use gas on the highway. This feature was added on 2013 and newer cars.

Suggested Improvements

Change the car display so it can show actual gas mileage over 250mpg.