I Hate this CAR, I hate it I hate it I hate it -
By jumblejumlbe on
2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
This could be a reasonable car if you live in southern California and don't drive more than 20 miles a day. If that is not you, don't even think about buying this POS. It does not drive in the snow. When it's cold and the heater turns on it has to run a second generator motor which sounds like someone started a lawn mower in your trunk. I drive a lot, more than 300 miles a day, and while it has a charge the power and handling isn't bad, but since I drive on the highway a lot the charge doesnt last very long. once it switches to gas only its performance is horrible.. if you leave it for a few days and the bluetooth is on it'll drain your starting battery and you'll need to call service
Favorite Features
Interior styling is not terrible. Performance with a full charge in sport mode is great. If you value green over everything else this could be a good car....
Suggested Improvements
improve performance in gas only mode. improve cold weather and snow handling. Make it LESS annoying! it makes so many odd noises, like that strange WOOOSH sound when you push the start button. Here is my bottom line, I get this car for FREE from my company fleet, and I hate it so much I'm going to give it back and pay to drive sometime more practical.
By racer0608
on 02/26/13 18:25 PM (PST)

I own a 2013 Volt. There are trade offs that you have to deal with. The generator is not the most pleasant sounding thing when it turns on. It can be a little cramped. No power seats. etc.. As far as the WOOOSH noise when the car turns on. You can turn that way down/off.. When you turn the car on. As soon as you hear the whoosh noise. Turn the volume down with the radio volume knob. Fixed! That being said. The Volt is not for everyone.

By mt2000
on 02/14/13 20:26 PM (PST)

I am curious, how is the performance "horrible" in "gas only" mode (I thought this is a hybrid, so there is no "gas only" mode)? Also, what do you mean by "it does not drive in the snow?" Does it stop? Or is it just that you are used to an F-150? Odd noises? Yep, most modern cars make some "unusual" noises, but then if someone is used to donkey carts, any car would make "odd noises." Finally, you drive 300+ miles a day?! You should hate! hate! hate! your job, not the car....

By pvolt
on 03/28/13 19:12 PM (PDT)

This review is very interesting. The Volt is a wonderful car but its not everyone's cup of tea and thats for sure. If you are not interested in or good at modern electronics and/or if you like your cars "traditional" you could really hate this one. Also, as noted in another comment, 300 miles a day is not its best thing. Most likely the take away here is that a person ought not buy a Volt unless they like it! A test drive is recommended. (Duh!). I really like erik598's comment - buy this car for what it is, not for what it isn't.

By chris_v
on 03/26/13 13:34 PM (PDT)

Performance is the same in battery mode and with the gas generator running, as it's still powered by the batteries. It sounds different when the gas generator is running, yes, but it's not designed to be driven 300 miles a day. It was designed to be driven like most people in the US do: 40 miles a day, with occasional longer trips. And I LOVE the sound it makes when you press the start button (that Whoosh sound lets you know that it's running, otherwise it's so quiet you woudn't know it's been started)

By erik598
on 03/24/13 15:44 PM (PDT)

I think the fact that this reviewer didn't buy the car says a lot. If Jumble had done any research at all he would have known how the Volt works and would have purchased it because of what it IS and not what it ISN'T. Also, since Jumble's employer obviously pays the fuel bill, Jumble doesn't appreciate the car's efficiency. If I didn't care about how much fuel I used I'd probably drive a Cadillac or Hummer.