2013 Chevrolet Volt 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive Consumer Review - Enjoying the first 1000 miles

2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Review

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Base 4dr Hatchback (0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive)

Enjoying the first 1000 miles
By gwtx on

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had the car for a month and put on about 1,000 miles. I've yet to put gas in the car, so from the EV perspective it works exactly as advertised. I bought it with all the bells and whistles. The interior isn't bad. It's a bit cramped and there isn't a lot of space in the back seat. The lack of electric seat adjustments is a major negative. My wife literally has to get out of the car to adjust the seat. We trade back and forth driving the car, so we're constantly pumping the lever to raise or lower the seat. It's very inconvenient. The other complaint is that the voice recognition and navigation system is a complete train wreck. Simple instructions like "Drive Home" or "Destination Home" are impossible. If you don't know the exact… command name in the list, the voice recognition is completely useless. I don't understand why I can tell my phone to "drive to bass hall" and it gives me directions to the door, but the Chevy nav system completely freaks out. Then, when it tries to send you to something ridiculous, like Baskeall, TX, (I don't think such a place exists), canceling the instructions takes several minutes. You have to wait for it to calculate the results and then talk your way through several menus before you can tell it delete the waypoint. Then it asks you which waypoint to delete (of the one available). Chevy could fix this with a software download. Let's hope they do. On the plus side, the car drives very well. It doesn't have 'power' in the traditional sense, but it really takes off. It's very smooth, nimble handling, and--of course--extremely quiet. I'm glad I bought the car and will consider the ELR when it comes out. In the meantime, though, Chevy needs to do some work on the voice commands and nav system.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride. Quiet Ride. Good performance and nimble handling. 200 miles to the gallon!

Suggested Improvements

Really need to fix the navigation system and the voice recognition. The lack of automatic seats is also a huge inconvenience.