Chevy Hit It Out of the Ball Park
By hbbob on
2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
Incredibly electronically sophisticated vehicle. Light years ahead of any other hybrid or electrical car on the road today. I installed a 240 volt charge station to speed up the recharging process, plus it reduces the cost of each full charge from 13kw used to 10kw. For me in Calif., it costs $1.70 for each full charge. I normally get 43 miles on each charge and on gas anywhere from 45-60 mpg (light foot on the throttle). Assuming 10k miles/yr and 10% of the miles on gas, the total cost would be about $460/yr or a $2,000/yr savings over our other gas costs for 10k miles/yr. The volt cost $32k after all rebates. Do the math...this car is a no brainer!
Favorite Features
I like everything about this car.
Suggested Improvements
The touch screen system should be designed for the user to save what they want as the default set up. Using Low gear setting will maximize the regeneration of electrical power, but it does have one serious drawback. Since it basically acts as a break when you lift your foot off the throttle, if someone is tailgating you, there is an increased risk of a rear end collision since the break light does not go on. I have suggested to Chevy that they reprogram it such that if you are using the Low gear setting and you lift your foot off the throttle, the break light will go on. More comfortable seats also would be an improvement.