Buyer Beware
By elizabethrm on
2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I wanted to love this car. As a prius driver for years I was so excited to have a more luxurious eco-friendly car and buy American. Win/win right? Unfortunately not. This car has stranded me 3 times because it stopped functioning in the first year and a half of ownership. Two of these times I was placed in incredibly dangerous situations. The first 2 times I was told that there was a defective part that would be replaced. The third time the dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong for days and then gave me an illogical reason for the breakdown. It's an incredibly unreliable car. Women should especially beware of their safety if they buy this car. Just waiting for the next breakdown.
By chris_v
on 08/08/13 13:18 PM (PDT)

Sad to hear of your problems, but rest assured, they aren't typical. Looking at the Volt forums and the Volt owner's groups, the vast majority of owners are completely satisfied and the cars are more reliable than average.

By teridavisnewma
on 04/10/14 08:29 AM (PDT)

I don't know where you're reading the reviews Chris because every one I've read (and on Consumer Reports which is trustworthy) says the Volt is a piece of junk and Elizabeth's review of the problems is typical. It's a piece of crap car. DON'T BUY ONE!

By pjk2
on 07/15/14 19:20 PM (PDT)

I've had my Volt for 19 months(14K miles)... not a single problem. one tire rotation and one trip to the gas station so far. 17.8 gallons of gas used total. I wonder about some of these posts... I've talked to many Volt owners .. not one has had problems. The Volt is like buying your first digital camera... no going back.