Used 2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (44 reviews )

Expensive leading PHEV w cramped interior
By dm3

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Ground breaking plugin hybrid. Uses engine to extend the range of an otherwise all electric vehicle. Overall drives well. Good acceleration and handling. Comfortable amazingly quiet ride. Can use it all electric for typical commutes. However lots of compromises. Very high price due to dual drive trains. Interior cramped to due low ceiling for reduced drag, 4 passenger seating due to battery in the cabin. Electric range works for shorter trips, but on longer trips seems to simply improve gas mileage which still isn't as good as a Prius. Hoping next rev. will fix these issues.

Favorite Features

Useful all electric range. Very smooth transition from electric to ICE (engine). Pretty good handling. Impressive acceleration from a stop.

Suggested Improvements

Center console is a usability disaster. Cramped interior. Ceiling too low. Hump between the seats too large. 4 passenger seating due to rear hump. Tailgate floor too high, trunk too small. Needs more electric range. Should have 6.6kw charger for faster charging.

Surpassed expectations
By mrc23

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have put 6k miles on my Volt and I am very happy with the purchase. My work commute is about 20 miles a day round trip. I've used 18.6 gallons of gas since I bought it. The Volt performs like a champion off a green light and in heavy highway traffic. Absolutely no issues getting where I need to go and moving at the pace I need to free myself of oblivious drivers. This car glides like glass, and I climb hills everyday. Shift into Sport mode and it's a golf cart on steroids; I routinely outrun german cars. I've been in Audi's for 10 years, and traded an A4 for the Volt.

Favorite Features

Driving performance overall is great. I am routinely told by passengers the back seat configuration is very comfortable. Climate and entertainment controls took some getting used to, but they are now efficient and intuitive; in fact I am still learning new things after 6 months. Sport mode definitely a favorite feature. Back up camera is well lit and very effective. I parallel park everyday. Rear hatch and the ability to flatten back seats independently are nice features for golf clubs. Chevy and On Star apps are great for tracking your contribution to cleaning up the planet.

Suggested Improvements

Front windshield tends to fog easily depending on weather conditions. I find myself hitting defrost more than I normally do in other cars. 90% of the time I use recommended low energy setting for climate controls, which might contribute to this. Rear mirror visibility is not that great; takes some getting used to. Front clearance is very low, but the rubber material is very forgiving if you roll over a speed bump too fast. No real issue with this.

Have not been to a gas station since I bought it!
By pjk2

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

For 40 years I routinely went to gas stations to fill up at least every two weeks. I have not gone to a gas station in 6 months.... I only used 5.2 gallons in six months. The Chevy Volt has proven to be as good as all the awards it has received. I read that 128,000 automotive engineers from around the world SAE have voted the Chevy Volt as the BEST ENGINEERED car on the road today. I agree. The ease of which it transports me to work is like no other vehicle. The effortless acceleration is hard to explain .. I tell people .. turn off your engine and coast... that is what the Volt sounds like going up hill at full throttle! Chevy Volt ... just unbelievable.

Favorite Features

Effortless Smooth Quiet ride... no gas stations. At 8 cents per KWH electricity here in PA it costs me 15cents to get to work... 35 cents round trip. Instead of filling up 2 times a month for $120 I now use about $15 per month in electricity for my 10 mile commute plus shopping trips.

Suggested Improvements

CUV version.

Great Technology and great car
By 53stephen

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Purchased in Oct 2012 and have approx. 5000 miles on the vehicle as of this posting. I am 6'2" and fit just fine in this car. I love the fact that I can cruise up to 40 miles (depending on temp and speed) without having to use gas. This translates to 0 carbon emissions probably 75% of the time and the cost for electric versus gas in my area translates to 85-90 MPG at current premium fuel costs, so you can't beat the efficiency of the battery power. On long drives the car is smooth and comfortable. I would recommend leasing this vehicle - when 3 years are up - the technology will probably have advanced to 100+ miles before fuel is used.

Favorite Features

The car is smooth, comfortable, quiet, and the electronics are great. I get questions all the time about this car. I love the feature whereby you can place battery power on hold and save it for city driving - a well thought out feature. The pure electric drive motor is great - with the options for low used for city driving and normal D for everything else. Plenty of torque and the styling gets plenty of compliments

Suggested Improvements

The drive type type selector switch needs to be illuminated better at night and placed further away from the power switch. I have accidently hit the power switch while driving at night when trying to change drive type - and found out that if you push this start button twice (even while driving), that the car will cut off - which is very dangerous at night. The rear seats are not comfortable for those over 6' tall I would like auto-wiper feature that detects and adjusts wiper speed. I have this on my BMW and it is one of my favorite features.

Great car! just needs a few minor tweaks.
By 62235volt

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

1) Driving in D utilizes slightly more kW than when driving in L. [upshift into D and see the increase on the battery draw display then shift back to L]. Use D when you want to coast instead of regen braking. 2) Needs separate SPORT MODE button. 3) OnStar needs faster data acquisition and more data viewing options. 30/60/90 day & 6 month mileage display. Yes..many of the cons are relatively minor. Yet, overall, the car functions very well to what the MAIN purpose of the intent was…to be an efficient commuter car. ..a home run in that respect. But when you add in the cons and other notes against the price of the car, I give it a strong triple.

Favorite Features

1) Great GAS Mileage! My experience of setting the cruise results: @ 70mph: 39/40 mpg, 75mph: 35/36 mpg, 80mph: 28/29 mpg . Overall mpg to date: 67. (low due to occasional 160 mile trips) Electric is best for city driving <55mph…and appears most efficient in the 45 – 55 mph range. Have found driving in Low is best when in city. 2) Handling is excellent! Smooth & responsive. Takes bumps great! Handle Corners like riding a rail! Excellent in the snow too! 3) ZIPPY off the line!…fun to put in sport mode and get where you want to in traffic! Easily sneak up on others too. 4) comfortable front seating ..fits well even for a 6’ 2” 235 lb. Comfortably secure when cornering.

Suggested Improvements

1) no button to tap to display radio only. Have to always go to HOME screen and then tap icon. Also would like to set home default to radio display. 2) Touch buttons are too sensitive… accidentally, EASILY graze a button get an unwanted function. 3) Power button is too close to driving mode button…can accidentally turn off vehicle when driving. 4) Bluetooth not always clear to hear caller and car 5) Easy to get wind compression frequencies when windows are down. 6) Radio could use a few more decibels to overcome the wind/road noise when windows are down. 7) improve rear seat foot room 8) low fuel display shows no fuel level or range left.