2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (42 reviews )
Volt Volt Baby!
By s_shawn_l on 05/03/13 13:10 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had my 2013 Volt for about six weeks and 2,200 miles. Typically by this time after a new car purchase, I've found pros and cons associated with my purchase. I can't find any cons to speak of with this one (that's a first). It's everything I had hoped it would be, but more. I've taken a couple of day trips utilizing the gas mode, and still have managed to keep my total mpg around 160. Almost every day someone asks me about my Volt; it draws alot of attention. I'm a rolling commercial for this vehicle. Very happy with my purchase.

Volt problem
By wligon on 04/28/13 15:58 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My wife drove our Volt to a friend's house. When she parked and turned off the car, she realized that she had parked someone in She quickly pushed the power button and shifted to reverse. Nothing happened! The power button was lit on the console but there was no power. Pushing the power button again gave the message: "initializing--wait to shift" This continued for about an hour until the car sensed the battery was running down and shut itself off . After the shutdown, it restarted and operated normally but for an hour it was dead! Chevy told us they had never seen this. We conclude you absolutely must wait for everything to come up before shifting! Software needs a fix.

Enjoying the first 1000 miles
By gwtx on 04/26/13 14:08 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had the car for a month and put on about 1,000 miles. I've yet to put gas in the car, so from the EV perspective it works exactly as advertised. I bought it with all the bells and whistles. The interior isn't bad. It's a bit cramped and there isn't a lot of space in the back seat. The lack of electric seat adjustments is a major negative. My wife literally has to get out of the car to adjust the seat. We trade back and forth driving the car, so we're constantly pumping the lever to raise or lower the seat. It's very inconvenient. The other complaint is that the voice recognition and navigation system is a complete train wreck. Simple instructions like "Drive Home" or "Destination Home" are impossible. If you don't know the exact… command name in the list, the voice recognition is completely useless. I don't understand why I can tell my phone to "drive to bass hall" and it gives me directions to the door, but the Chevy nav system completely freaks out. Then, when it tries to send you to something ridiculous, like Baskeall, TX, (I don't think such a place exists), canceling the instructions takes several minutes. You have to wait for it to calculate the results and then talk your way through several menus before you can tell it delete the waypoint. Then it asks you which waypoint to delete (of the one available). Chevy could fix this with a software download. Let's hope they do. On the plus side, the car drives very well. It doesn't have 'power' in the traditional sense, but it really takes off. It's very smooth, nimble handling, and--of course--extremely quiet. I'm glad I bought the car and will consider the ELR when it comes out. In the meantime, though, Chevy needs to do some work on the voice commands and nav system.

Well, done
By jwarmuth on 04/17/13 07:47 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This is a commuter vehicle, not a sports car, not a truck, not a travel vehicle... For what this car is designed for, the execution is near perfect. I drive less than 20 miles a day, don't live in SoCal and it does get pretty cold here in the winter. The technology is ahead of the competition. The vehicles instant torque is pretty fun off the line, it is quite, it has all sort of electronic gizmos, a appealing exterior and interior design. The vehicle is smaller, but is not a lightweight, meaning the car is pretty heavy, but if you have to pack batteries, an electic motor and an engine, this adds up. Driving in the snow could be cured with winter/snow tires

The most misunderstood car in America
By pvolt on 03/26/13 18:54 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This is a wonderful car, plain and simple. Everyone seems to want to make it only about whether or not the battery will pay for itself but that really misses the point. This is a stylish, distinctive, comfortable car that is really fun to drive and has, as one of its many features, a minimal need for gas. It costs under $30,000 despite what everyone says. If you buy one you can get a $3,000 rebate, a $7,500 tax refund. And for $30,000 its a terrific car. I traded in a Prius V (that also cost $30,000 BTW) and its a WAY better car. I have owned BMWs, Jaguars, Audis, Mercedes and many other "fine" cars and this is different but equal or better than them all!

Chevy Hit It Out of the Ball Park
By hbbob on 03/21/13 09:16 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Incredibly electronically sophisticated vehicle. Light years ahead of any other hybrid or electrical car on the road today. I installed a 240 volt charge station to speed up the recharging process, plus it reduces the cost of each full charge from 13kw used to 10kw. For me in Calif., it costs $1.70 for each full charge. I normally get 43 miles on each charge and on gas anywhere from 45-60 mpg (light foot on the throttle). Assuming 10k miles/yr and 10% of the miles on gas, the total cost would be about $460/yr or a $2,000/yr savings over our other gas costs for 10k miles/yr. The volt cost $32k after all rebates. Do the math...this car is a no brainer!

Nice Car
By racer0608 on 02/26/13 18:39 PM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The more I drive it the more I like it in spite of its quirks. This car handles like its on rails. It has very good acceleration and rides like a BMW. I am 6ft 230lbs. My size is pushing the limits on this car. I don't find the seats to be very comfortable. The generator is loud especially when it first turns on and is trying to build a buffer in the battery. Once settled down after a minute or two it really drives like a dream. I like this car.

I Hate this CAR, I hate it I hate it I hate it -
By jumblejumlbe on 02/08/13 18:08 PM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This could be a reasonable car if you live in southern California and don't drive more than 20 miles a day. If that is not you, don't even think about buying this POS. It does not drive in the snow. When it's cold and the heater turns on it has to run a second generator motor which sounds like someone started a lawn mower in your trunk. I drive a lot, more than 300 miles a day, and while it has a charge the power and handling isn't bad, but since I drive on the highway a lot the charge doesnt last very long. once it switches to gas only its performance is horrible.. if you leave it for a few days and the bluetooth is on it'll drain your starting battery and you'll need to call service

Love my Volt
By pvb2 on 02/04/13 18:04 PM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've had the car for about a month and the more I drive the more I love the car. Fantastic work by Chevy engineers!!!

Volt is the answer for a 24K mi/yr commuter
By allroad5volt13 on 02/02/13 07:17 AM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

The Volt is an incredibly comfortable, fun and responsive vehicle. Pound-for-pound - $-for-$ - the Volt is the future of drivetrains. I commute 78 mi/day in S.W. Ohio. Hills, weather and road speed affect battery/gas consumption. I avg 39mi/charge. Own a V8 '05 Audi -- the Volt corners and accelerates (in Sport mode) the same, if not better. The ride is extremely quiet. The "connectivity" options are industry leading. The Volt has overcome GM's countless decades of lethargic design, boring ingenuity and laskluster performance. Due to weather, I have 118 miles per/gal after 2016 miles. I love this car. No regrets. In the least, this car is a worth your time to test drive.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Chevrolet Volt in VA is:

$139 per month*