Used 2013 Chevrolet Volt Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (44 reviews )

2013 Volt - Nice Small Csr
By mcrat1

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I like big cars, fast stuff, and trucks. So I'm jaded. First off, all the reviews that say the Volt is ugly are lame. It has yet to make any small children cry or make the cow's milk sour. It looks good. The interior is nice, and well appointed. Navigation is in the speedo area where it belongs. Rear seating is for kids. A 6 foot man will hit his head and knees, but will fit. Handling is tight. Feels nice. I have a Vette and a CTS-V, and race alot. Car feels lighter than it is. Acceleration is OK. I'm used to big power, but it is as quick from a light as a Crown Vic. Not bad. Braking is excellent considering the tire size and weight. Use L in city driving.

Favorite Features

Nimble. Easy to operate. Advanced safety tech. Can hold LARGE objects with the hatchback and seats down.

Suggested Improvements

More headroom in rear.

2013 Volt is a Geek Dream
By geekdream

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is a great car to drive. I have owned the car for 12 months and have used about 12 gallons of gas! I am currently getting about 550MPG. If you dive less than 35 miles per day on average then you can get significantly higher gas mileage than what is published. The car normally runs on electricity until the batteries run low and then automatically switches to a gas powered generator to power the electric motor. The battery will typically give you between 30-40 miles per charge depending on driving habits and outdoor temperature. My average commute per day is about 27 miles. My car is running on battery 95% of the time and uses gas 5% of the time. My favorite car that I have owned.

Favorite Features

You can optionally defer running on batteries and select gas for certain situations. Let's say a trip you are taking will require about 20 miles of stop and go and 30 miles of highway. To get the best fuel economy, you can switch to battery when in stop and go and switch to use gas on the highway. This feature was added on 2013 and newer cars.

Suggested Improvements

Change the car display so it can show actual gas mileage over 250mpg.

Chevy Volt almost burned my house down
By powenp

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've been driving the Volt for 18 months. I loved the car until a month ago when I went to unplug the charger from our garage outlet and the outlet was melted - very scary situation. I've spent a month trying to get GM and my dealer to do something (Woodward Motors in Andover, MA). GM wants me to produce the license of the electrician who built my house in 1982 before they do anything. No joke... Don't buy this car, it's dangerous and GM and dealers don't stand behind it.

1200mpg 2cents per mile for electricity
By pjk2

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've been buying cars for 40years. The Volt is like no other. The smooth quiet power is nicer than any V8 I've driven. I've had my Base Chevy Volt here in PA for 10 months. Have been to the dealer one time to rotate the tires at 5k .. have not been to a gas station yet. I've used just 5.7 gallons of gas in over 7,000 miles of hard hilly stop and go city driving. That's 1200 mpg!! I have a wattmeter on the charger that indicates that the car is costing approx. 2cents per mile. I've only used the range extender a few times... but was sure glad I had the extender. It's nice to NOT have any range anxiety. It's a nice feeling not going to the gas station every two weeks to charge about $60.

Favorite Features

no noise no shifting no smells in the garage no heat in the garage The reason I bought the car is for it's smooth acceleration and responsiveness of the electric motor... nothing like it. very good in the snow $4 to $5 per week is better than $60 every two weeks.

Suggested Improvements

I don't like the automatic down and up on the window switch.. I'm sure this is supposed to be a plus but for me it's hard to stop from going all the way down or up when all I want is for the window to go down a little. Probably because my hands are too big. That's about it... not much to improve other than making it a CUV.

From Prius to Volt: mixed feelings
By djpdx

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I decided to give the 2013 Volt a try after my '10 Prius hit 90K. My car is loaded with almost every option and I paid 34K before tax credit. I drive 36 miles r/t to work and usually make it on electric. Pros: Tight, drives like a vault, quiet, smooth. Technology Int and ext styling. Fantastic economy Buying an american car Cons: Price even after $9000 dealer discount Craftmanship--lots of problems Poor ergonomics The center stack has buttons scattered about, seat heater turns on by itself, electric charger door fell off, 110v charger stopped working, trim pieces fell off, ipod stopped working, poor craftsmanship.

Favorite Features

Economy, economy, and economy technology

Suggested Improvements

Craftmanship Fix the dash and organize the buttons scattered about!!! Dealer service and support--Not good in Portland, Oregon--dealer didn't care at all about problems On Star experience very poor with foreign operators and difficulty buying minutes for phone--I finally gave up. Competing with Japan need more work. I would not buy this car again because of the problems I have experienced