2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (42 reviews )
6 months in with the Volt
By chris_v on 08/08/13 13:14 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

6000 miles and I love the car. Have driven it from February and temps under 20 degrees F to August and temps over 100 degrees F. Full charge shows 44-45 miles available on electric, but I rarely go over 30 miles. Hold mode is great for 2013, as it adds the ability to drive to the highway on electric, then switch to hold mode to maintain the charge and get upwards of 50+ mpg with the gas generator running, then switch back to electric when you get off the highway. Sport mode is fun, and I leave it in L all the time, even on the highway, to take advantage of the aggressive regen to gain back range. So far I haven't put gas in it in almost 5 months of daily driving.

Buyer Beware
By elizabethrm on 07/29/13 08:23 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I wanted to love this car. As a prius driver for years I was so excited to have a more luxurious eco-friendly car and buy American. Win/win right? Unfortunately not. This car has stranded me 3 times because it stopped functioning in the first year and a half of ownership. Two of these times I was placed in incredibly dangerous situations. The first 2 times I was told that there was a defective part that would be replaced. The third time the dealership couldn't figure out what was wrong for days and then gave me an illogical reason for the breakdown. It's an incredibly unreliable car. Women should especially beware of their safety if they buy this car. Just waiting for the next breakdown.

Exellent job of Chevrolet
By don238 on 07/13/13 10:59 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Owned a Porsche Cayenne and tired with the price of gas, I was looking for a hybrid or electric car. I use the car less than 50 miles/day, after the test drive on the Prius (no power, don't feel safe) and the Volt (good acceleration, nice and solid design), I take the decision without hesitation. With the help of Chris Sanchez (honest, good knowledge, patient, professional) and the team of Simpson of Garden Grove, now I'm very happy to own a Volt, I enjoy every day my car without attention to the gas price, I feel free. Thank you to Chris, the team of Simpson of GG and also Chevrolet for the excellent job

Expensive leading PHEV w cramped interior
By dm3 on 07/05/13 13:04 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Ground breaking plugin hybrid. Uses engine to extend the range of an otherwise all electric vehicle. Overall drives well. Good acceleration and handling. Comfortable amazingly quiet ride. Can use it all electric for typical commutes. However lots of compromises. Very high price due to dual drive trains. Interior cramped to due low ceiling for reduced drag, 4 passenger seating due to battery in the cabin. Electric range works for shorter trips, but on longer trips seems to simply improve gas mileage which still isn't as good as a Prius. Hoping next rev. will fix these issues.

Surpassed expectations
By mrc23 on 06/26/13 15:15 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Have put 6k miles on my Volt and I am very happy with the purchase. My work commute is about 20 miles a day round trip. I've used 18.6 gallons of gas since I bought it. The Volt performs like a champion off a green light and in heavy highway traffic. Absolutely no issues getting where I need to go and moving at the pace I need to free myself of oblivious drivers. This car glides like glass, and I climb hills everyday. Shift into Sport mode and it's a golf cart on steroids; I routinely outrun german cars. I've been in Audi's for 10 years, and traded an A4 for the Volt.

Have not been to a gas station since I bought it!
By pjk2 on 05/27/13 13:48 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

For 40 years I routinely went to gas stations to fill up at least every two weeks. I have not gone to a gas station in 6 months.... I only used 5.2 gallons in six months. The Chevy Volt has proven to be as good as all the awards it has received. I read that 128,000 automotive engineers from around the world SAE have voted the Chevy Volt as the BEST ENGINEERED car on the road today. I agree. The ease of which it transports me to work is like no other vehicle. The effortless acceleration is hard to explain .. I tell people .. turn off your engine and coast... that is what the Volt sounds like going up hill at full throttle! Chevy Volt ... just unbelievable.

Great Technology and great car
By 53stephen on 05/20/13 12:12 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Purchased in Oct 2012 and have approx. 5000 miles on the vehicle as of this posting. I am 6'2" and fit just fine in this car. I love the fact that I can cruise up to 40 miles (depending on temp and speed) without having to use gas. This translates to 0 carbon emissions probably 75% of the time and the cost for electric versus gas in my area translates to 85-90 MPG at current premium fuel costs, so you can't beat the efficiency of the battery power. On long drives the car is smooth and comfortable. I would recommend leasing this vehicle - when 3 years are up - the technology will probably have advanced to 100+ miles before fuel is used.

Great car! just needs a few minor tweaks.
By 62235volt on 05/14/13 12:16 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

1) Driving in D utilizes slightly more kW than when driving in L. [upshift into D and see the increase on the battery draw display then shift back to L]. Use D when you want to coast instead of regen braking. 2) Needs separate SPORT MODE button. 3) OnStar needs faster data acquisition and more data viewing options. 30/60/90 day & 6 month mileage display. Yes..many of the cons are relatively minor. Yet, overall, the car functions very well to what the MAIN purpose of the intent was…to be an efficient commuter car. ..a home run in that respect. But when you add in the cons and other notes against the price of the car, I give it a strong triple.

5k review
By electric77 on 05/13/13 19:38 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

5000 miles, 5 months, and 11 gallons of fuel into owning the 2013 Volt, I'm amazed at how impressed I am with this car. I nearly always make my 43 mile round trip commute without using a drop of gasoline and only about $1.40 worth of electricity. However, the best part about owning it is how well it is engineered and the smooth and silent surge of power from the electric drivetrain. Although the sticker price will scare a few people away the real price after rebates was just slightly less than a similarly equipped Honda Accord would have been. My electric range has been between 34 miles on a cold day in January and 50 mildly driven miles on a warm spring day.

Best car I have ever owned
By joncab5 on 05/13/13 12:00 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I have had the car for 8 months and still have not yet visited a gas station. My commute is only 18 miles and I have charging abilities at work. My biggest surprise regarding this vehicle is the Chevy brand. I am not a snob, but my previous vehicles are Lexus, Porsche, BMW, MBZ and the more I read about the Volt the better it sounds. I then test drove one out of curiosity and was shocked at the build quality. It is outstanding. What most people don't understand is there is a timer on the internal charging system that allows it to start charging at midnight. In California EV owners get very, very cheap electricity starting at midnight. So I am paying very little for energy.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Chevrolet Volt in VA is:

$133 per month*