Used 2013 Chevrolet Volt Base Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (42 reviews )

5K miles 2 CEL's and 12 days in service bay
By hwy1volt

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Day one, test drove the vehicle all was good paid for said vehicle, 2 miles from dealership CEL comes on, I call OnStar they report a charging cooling system not operating properly. I take it back to the dealership immediately they can't get to it until the following day. They put me in a rental I then head home. Couple days later the car is ready for pick up and I was told it was an over use of brakes. 5K miles new CEL, I call OnStar they report a charging cooling system not operating properly, I take it to a different dealer. Nine days later they replace 5123 drive motor battery coolant cooler, as per DTC P5034.

Favorite Features

12 days in rental cars

Suggested Improvements

Better rental cars for people who buy volts

Stand By your car GM
By ronmaf

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I cannot believe I have had so many issues with my Volts. I bought two Volts in 2012, and both of them were bought back by GM due to major issues (One would die with no power at all, and another had a Regen Drivetrain Bearing failures) . One of the two I accepted a 2013 Volt thinking they worked out the Bugs...they did not! I could not recommend any GM product after the way that they have treated me. The director for Chevy after sales told me they would not fix my car. I have been in and out of the dealer way too much for a then $45k car! Buyer beware, read the Volt forums and look up Bearing issues in the drivetrain. You will be happy you did before pulling the trigger on this crap!

Favorite Features

Design

Suggested Improvements

Better QA, and fix the problems you find! The Regen Bearing Issue is ridiculous that you cannot get a fix to an issue that has been plaguing this car for 3 years! I though GM changed.... they didn't! Still the same Gm as before the Gov buyout!

Frequent Visitor to Dealership
By frustratedvolt

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

First of all, the Volt is a blast to drive. As my first GM vehicle in 20 years, I was impressed. I was very happy. Then charge light warning came on and it was back to dealership, then the charge door and again the charge door. The bearing in front driver's side went, had it replaced and then replaced again. A lot of trips to the dealership and missing work. Live in Michigan and charger was plugged into an external outlet.Well with the nasty weather we are having moisture must have got in the connection and fried my charging cord. GM is saying it is 100% fault of plug and will not cover. $475.00 to get new charger.There goes my gas savings and my GM loyalty I am done after this lease.

Suggested Improvements

If you are going to be innovative, then cover the parts. Blaming others for problems that arise from normal use is not a good way to get kudos. With the number of people that ask me how I like the Volt every week, that $475 part would have been worth covering to get the good response that I used to give. I used to be an ambassador but no longer.

2013 Volt - Nice Small Csr
By mcrat1

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I like big cars, fast stuff, and trucks. So I'm jaded. First off, all the reviews that say the Volt is ugly are lame. It has yet to make any small children cry or make the cow's milk sour. It looks good. The interior is nice, and well appointed. Navigation is in the speedo area where it belongs. Rear seating is for kids. A 6 foot man will hit his head and knees, but will fit. Handling is tight. Feels nice. I have a Vette and a CTS-V, and race alot. Car feels lighter than it is. Acceleration is OK. I'm used to big power, but it is as quick from a light as a Crown Vic. Not bad. Braking is excellent considering the tire size and weight. Use L in city driving.

Favorite Features

Nimble. Easy to operate. Advanced safety tech. Can hold LARGE objects with the hatchback and seats down.

Suggested Improvements

More headroom in rear.

2013 Volt is a Geek Dream
By geekdream

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is a great car to drive. I have owned the car for 12 months and have used about 12 gallons of gas! I am currently getting about 550MPG. If you dive less than 35 miles per day on average then you can get significantly higher gas mileage than what is published. The car normally runs on electricity until the batteries run low and then automatically switches to a gas powered generator to power the electric motor. The battery will typically give you between 30-40 miles per charge depending on driving habits and outdoor temperature. My average commute per day is about 27 miles. My car is running on battery 95% of the time and uses gas 5% of the time. My favorite car that I have owned.

Favorite Features

You can optionally defer running on batteries and select gas for certain situations. Let's say a trip you are taking will require about 20 miles of stop and go and 30 miles of highway. To get the best fuel economy, you can switch to battery when in stop and go and switch to use gas on the highway. This feature was added on 2013 and newer cars.

Suggested Improvements

Change the car display so it can show actual gas mileage over 250mpg.