Used 2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (44 reviews )

Just reached 12K miles and so far so good..
By peterlc63

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

So far, the car has been great. It drives so smooth and the instant torque I get from a dead stop is a delight after dealing the turbo lag on my Outback XT for 8 years. The EV range covers my work and weekend commutes so I can go months without having to buy gas. Getting the HOV lane stickers is great along with the $1,500 rebate from the state. I also got a time-of-use meter from my local utility (Pasadena) so I get cheaper electricity rates during mid and off peak times. They also gave me $300 of LED lightbulbs! The car is sluggish in ER mode while driving in the city but, has been fine on long trips. I average 37 to 43 miles MPG depending on how fast I'm going. No issues ... yet.

Great torque, comfortable leather heated seats, decent storage space in the trunk, BOSE audio system is pretty good, lots of interior storage in door pockets and center armrests, and the only service I had on the car for the past year is an oil change for $43. One recall was dealt with quickly. The car has made me a safer driver as the emphasis is on eeking out as miles I can on a charge. My wife has certainly noticed. :-)

The touch panel center console is really confusing to use, can only seat two people in the back, the sun visors could use pull out extender panels because they are not wide enough to block out the sun on the side windows, the heater doesn't always come in in EV mode, performance is sluggish in ER mode, and gas mileage in ER mode less than other hybrids or diesel cars. GM just announced the 2016 Volt will have a higher capacity battery and a slightly more power engine. Some say it will have a bench seat in the back. Will consider it when my lease ends but, will definitely take a look at the new Audio A3 and VW Passat plug-in hybrids that will be coming out.

poor car
By wsusdorf

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

the volt is a poor car. I have had one for 2 years and have had a radiator replaced a water pump. The radiator cost $1100.00. I took the dealer 3 days to get it back to me. It now needs a battery. The battery cost 300.00 and it has a leak in it so when it goes to the car wash it leaks on the passenger side. that will cost 400.00. In the past I have bought 9 chevrolets. THis is my last. Save yoursellf the grief and look at a Prius.

Sirus radio

GM needs a warranty that is comparable to other cars that are priced at 45,000.00. 36 months is not cutting it

5K miles 2 CEL's and 12 days in service bay
By hwy1volt

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Day one, test drove the vehicle all was good paid for said vehicle, 2 miles from dealership CEL comes on, I call OnStar they report a charging cooling system not operating properly. I take it back to the dealership immediately they can't get to it until the following day. They put me in a rental I then head home. Couple days later the car is ready for pick up and I was told it was an over use of brakes. 5K miles new CEL, I call OnStar they report a charging cooling system not operating properly, I take it to a different dealer. Nine days later they replace 5123 drive motor battery coolant cooler, as per DTC P5034.

12 days in rental cars

Better rental cars for people who buy volts

Stand By your car GM
By ronmaf

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I cannot believe I have had so many issues with my Volts. I bought two Volts in 2012, and both of them were bought back by GM due to major issues (One would die with no power at all, and another had a Regen Drivetrain Bearing failures) . One of the two I accepted a 2013 Volt thinking they worked out the Bugs...they did not! I could not recommend any GM product after the way that they have treated me. The director for Chevy after sales told me they would not fix my car. I have been in and out of the dealer way too much for a then $45k car! Buyer beware, read the Volt forums and look up Bearing issues in the drivetrain. You will be happy you did before pulling the trigger on this crap!

Design

Better QA, and fix the problems you find! The Regen Bearing Issue is ridiculous that you cannot get a fix to an issue that has been plaguing this car for 3 years! I though GM changed.... they didn't! Still the same Gm as before the Gov buyout!

Frequent Visitor to Dealership
By frustratedvolt

2013 Chevrolet Volt Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

First of all, the Volt is a blast to drive. As my first GM vehicle in 20 years, I was impressed. I was very happy. Then charge light warning came on and it was back to dealership, then the charge door and again the charge door. The bearing in front driver's side went, had it replaced and then replaced again. A lot of trips to the dealership and missing work. Live in Michigan and charger was plugged into an external outlet.Well with the nasty weather we are having moisture must have got in the connection and fried my charging cord. GM is saying it is 100% fault of plug and will not cover. $475.00 to get new charger.There goes my gas savings and my GM loyalty I am done after this lease.

If you are going to be innovative, then cover the parts. Blaming others for problems that arise from normal use is not a good way to get kudos. With the number of people that ask me how I like the Volt every week, that $475 part would have been worth covering to get the good response that I used to give. I used to be an ambassador but no longer.