2013 Chevrolet Volt - Consumer Reviews

Base 0-cyl. Hybrid 1-speed Direct Drive - (42 reviews )
5K miles 2 CEL's and 12 days in service bay
By hwy1volt on 05/23/14 16:16 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

Day one, test drove the vehicle all was good paid for said vehicle, 2 miles from dealership CEL comes on, I call OnStar they report a charging cooling system not operating properly. I take it back to the dealership immediately they can't get to it until the following day. They put me in a rental I then head home. Couple days later the car is ready for pick up and I was told it was an over use of brakes. 5K miles new CEL, I call OnStar they report a charging cooling system not operating properly, I take it to a different dealer. Nine days later they replace 5123 drive motor battery coolant cooler, as per DTC P5034.

Stand By your car GM
By ronmaf on 03/09/14 12:09 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I cannot believe I have had so many issues with my Volts. I bought two Volts in 2012, and both of them were bought back by GM due to major issues (One would die with no power at all, and another had a Regen Drivetrain Bearing failures) . One of the two I accepted a 2013 Volt thinking they worked out the Bugs...they did not! I could not recommend any GM product after the way that they have treated me. The director for Chevy after sales told me they would not fix my car. I have been in and out of the dealer way too much for a then $45k car! Buyer beware, read the Volt forums and look up Bearing issues in the drivetrain. You will be happy you did before pulling the trigger on this crap!

Frequent Visitor to Dealership
By frustratedvolt on 01/21/14 06:12 AM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

First of all, the Volt is a blast to drive. As my first GM vehicle in 20 years, I was impressed. I was very happy. Then charge light warning came on and it was back to dealership, then the charge door and again the charge door. The bearing in front driver's side went, had it replaced and then replaced again. A lot of trips to the dealership and missing work. Live in Michigan and charger was plugged into an external outlet.Well with the nasty weather we are having moisture must have got in the connection and fried my charging cord. GM is saying it is 100% fault of plug and will not cover. $475.00 to get new charger.There goes my gas savings and my GM loyalty I am done after this lease.

2013 Volt - Nice Small Csr
By mcrat1 on 12/11/13 19:32 PM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I like big cars, fast stuff, and trucks. So I'm jaded. First off, all the reviews that say the Volt is ugly are lame. It has yet to make any small children cry or make the cow's milk sour. It looks good. The interior is nice, and well appointed. Navigation is in the speedo area where it belongs. Rear seating is for kids. A 6 foot man will hit his head and knees, but will fit. Handling is tight. Feels nice. I have a Vette and a CTS-V, and race alot. Car feels lighter than it is. Acceleration is OK. I'm used to big power, but it is as quick from a light as a Crown Vic. Not bad. Braking is excellent considering the tire size and weight. Use L in city driving.

2013 Volt is a Geek Dream
By geekdream on 11/23/13 08:40 AM (PST)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

This car is a great car to drive. I have owned the car for 12 months and have used about 12 gallons of gas! I am currently getting about 550MPG. If you dive less than 35 miles per day on average then you can get significantly higher gas mileage than what is published. The car normally runs on electricity until the batteries run low and then automatically switches to a gas powered generator to power the electric motor. The battery will typically give you between 30-40 miles per charge depending on driving habits and outdoor temperature. My average commute per day is about 27 miles. My car is running on battery 95% of the time and uses gas 5% of the time. My favorite car that I have owned.

Chevy Volt almost burned my house down
By powenp on 10/26/13 07:18 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've been driving the Volt for 18 months. I loved the car until a month ago when I went to unplug the charger from our garage outlet and the outlet was melted - very scary situation. I've spent a month trying to get GM and my dealer to do something (Woodward Motors in Andover, MA). GM wants me to produce the license of the electrician who built my house in 1982 before they do anything. No joke... Don't buy this car, it's dangerous and GM and dealers don't stand behind it.

1200mpg 2cents per mile for electricity
By pjk2 on 10/13/13 18:38 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I've been buying cars for 40years. The Volt is like no other. The smooth quiet power is nicer than any V8 I've driven. I've had my Base Chevy Volt here in PA for 10 months. Have been to the dealer one time to rotate the tires at 5k .. have not been to a gas station yet. I've used just 5.7 gallons of gas in over 7,000 miles of hard hilly stop and go city driving. That's 1200 mpg!! I have a wattmeter on the charger that indicates that the car is costing approx. 2cents per mile. I've only used the range extender a few times... but was sure glad I had the extender. It's nice to NOT have any range anxiety. It's a nice feeling not going to the gas station every two weeks to charge about $60.

From Prius to Volt: mixed feelings
By djpdx on 10/12/13 16:45 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

I decided to give the 2013 Volt a try after my '10 Prius hit 90K. My car is loaded with almost every option and I paid 34K before tax credit. I drive 36 miles r/t to work and usually make it on electric. Pros: Tight, drives like a vault, quiet, smooth. Technology Int and ext styling. Fantastic economy Buying an american car Cons: Price even after $9000 dealer discount Craftmanship--lots of problems Poor ergonomics The center stack has buttons scattered about, seat heater turns on by itself, electric charger door fell off, 110v charger stopped working, trim pieces fell off, ipod stopped working, poor craftsmanship.

Buyer Beware!
By ronmaf on 09/26/13 13:08 PM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

My Wife and I bought 2 of these Volts in 2012. Within 7 months my Volt had a major Regen bearing failure. The dealer tried to replace it twice. They ended up giving me a new car (A buyback). Within 1000 miles of owning the new 2013 Volt, I had no heat, that took 2 trips to the dealer to fix, and then the same Regen bearing failure that took weeks to get repaired! Now just in the past 3 weeks my Wifes Volt Died. It had to be towed in 2 times. The dealer said it was a 12 Battery issue. They replaced it and it failed again! These cars have too many issues that the dealer or GM have knowledge enough to fix properly. Buyer Beware...buy at your own risk!

Way to Go GM!!
By allchargedup on 09/07/13 10:24 AM (PDT)

2013 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)

As a volt owner coming off many years of high quality Infiniti vehicles I had a lot of doubt about quality. But after a year of ownership I could not be happier. Nothing gone wrong, nothing with this car. Ride is great, been to a gas station 3 times in a year. 91% of my driving is electric. Charging at night and at work, I am saving a TON of money, driving green, and sending a high finger to OPEC. I'm hoping others realize that still today, ONLY the Volt gives you the unlimited range in a basically electric vehicle. Most people still dont know how it works and think the range is limited. I tell them I can drive across the U.S. and still get 40 mpg! I'm buying american and proud!

1 2 3 4 5 next »

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2013 Chevrolet Volt in VA is:

$133 per month*