Volt v. Prius: Volt Wins in California
By johndhenry on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I have a 2nd Gen Prius and a Volt (first American car I’ve owned) so I have some basis to compare them. To sum it up: TOTAL COST: Volt wins over Prius – The new Prius costs nearly $43K ($36K for car and options + 8.5% CA tax + $4K in 5 year loan interest), while the Volt costs $40K ($44 for car & options + 8.5% CA tax + $0K for GM 5 year loan @ 0% interest - $9K in Fed/State tax incentives). MPG: Volt wins over Prius – After several thousands of Bay Area commute miles I am getting 80mpg. Calif HOV Lane Acess: Priceless. It is no wonder that the Volt has won so many ‘Car of the Year’ awards and Consumer Reports super high marks
Favorite Features
RIDE: Volt wins over Prius - The 3rd Gen Prius (like the 2nd Gen) was bouncy, loud, had a numb steering feel and was tinny – don’t get me wrong, I expect this from a light car that gets extremely high mileage. The best way that I can describe how the Volt drives and handles is that it is solid and extremely quiet. The doors close with a solid thud and when underway, the steering is connected to the road and the cabin is extremely quiet. Said differently, the Volt drives like a much larger/more competent ‘regular’ car without engine noise (oh, and the Volt accelerates much faster than the Prius…i.e. much better low-end torque ).
Suggested Improvements
Low front air dam scrapes driveways.
By bob2304
on 04/19/12 10:04 AM (PDT)

Great review. However, I just bought a new 2011 (left over) Prius 2 including TTL for $23500. I'm sure it didn't have all the options your Prius did. Did all the options you have on the Prius come with the Volt? The Priius I have does seem to have a problem with road and wind noise. I am going to look at the Volt soon.