Volt is a No-Brainer over Prius
By ntvolt on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
It's like a game driving this car, to see how far I can go. I average 45-53 miles on a single charge. 3 year lease is Cheaper than a regular Prius BEFORE the $1,500 CA rebate. Volt = $329 MO vs. Prius at $299 MO. Volt is $1,080 more over 36 mos. But you get a $1,500 rebate on the volt, bringing the 3 year cost from the time you walk in the dealer till the time you turn it in to $420 less than a Prius. 36,000 miles each, Prius will use 720 gallons of gas no matter what at $4 per gal. = $2,880. If you drive less than 40 miles a day, Volt will cost you $0 in gas and about $1.50 per full charge for 40 miles. $1,350 for 36,000 miles. 3 year savings = $1,950
Favorite Features
5,500 miles so far, I've used 4.2 gallons in gas. I still have yet to see a gas station with this car. Even for those that use 50% electric and 50% gas driving 70 miles a day, that still means they are only using 1 gallon of gas per day! You'd use 514 gallons over 36,000 miles at 50/50 driving. This car with the weight of the batteries down low, rides nicer than my Jaguar. It is so amazingly solid for a small car. The Prius feels like a toy car compared to the Volt. The $40,000 price tag scares people away, but as the numbers show, it's cheaper than a regular Prius and FAR cheaper than the plug-in Prius that goes 12 miles on electric only. No Comparison! And I have CARPOOL lane stickers!!!!
Suggested Improvements
Put run-flat tires on it, get rid of the spare and throw a few extra batteries in that space and bring up the range to an EPA rated 50 miles on electric only and this thing would be amazing. I get 45-53 miles on my EPA rated 35 mile Volt, so with a 50 mile EPA rating, I'd be pushing 65 miles a day. At least make it an option to buy another 3 kilowatts worth of batteries.