Volt = Economical Commuter Entertainment
By 2012knl on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
I've owned a 2012 Volt for just over 2 months now and have put 6100 miles on it. I spend a ton of time in the car as I drive approximately 140 miles per day for work. Purchased the car due to the economical benefits and am extremely pleased with many other aspects of the car as well. I've averaged just over 55 MPG total- which is above my expectations. On the weekends- the car is our family transport. With 2 kids- we are constantly coming and going to school events, sports, plays, dance, ect. During the times we're driving around town- we use 0 gas. Costs approx. $1 to charge overnight - that's it. Come home and plug it in. We've saved aprox. $350/month driving this car! Pays for itself!
Favorite Features
The car should be marketed for the amazing driving experience. I've driven many high-end cars and the Volt is by far my all-time favorite ride! It is like driving a video game. There are so many efficiency gauges and entertainment options- I'm still finding new features even 2 months later! And yet it is a car you can jump into without knowing anything special- just drive it. The biggest difference is the first-step.... Push-button start. Once you get past that... You put it in Drive and step on the gas! It really is a blast to drive! The Voltech e-engine is real-time responsive/very fast off the line. Also, I've set cruise at 85mph without any issue. Cruises along great!
Suggested Improvements
No suggested improvements to the car... It is amazing!!! Would love to see more plug in stations throughout the chicagoland area. I'm sure that will happen with time as other people learn of the benefits and extended savings this car can provide.