RE-VOLT
By revolt on
2012 Chevrolet Volt 4dr Hatchback (gas/electric hybrid DD)
Being an auto enthusiast and race driver, I have one basic safety criteria for a car beyond the standard crash testing. This is collision avoidance and includes: handling, breaking, and acceleration. The Volt exceeds these needs. After looking at the available hybrids last year, my wife purchase a Volt. 6500 miles later and averaging over 250mpg, the car is great! She loves the car, averages 38mi/chg, has numerous places to plug-in on her daily routine and rarely uses gas. When I replaced my vehicle, I looked at what was available and purchased our second Volt. 1500 mi later, I have only used 3.1gal of gas, and average 42mi/chg 240V charger is a must have for multiple trips.
Favorite Features
I always drive in "L" as it maximizes the regen breaking and makes the performance more like a manual transmition than an automatic. Lift off the accellerator and the car slows down. Net result especially in traffic, is that battery charge is extended and breaking is minimized, making the cost to own even better - less gas, less break maintance.
Suggested Improvements
There are a few blind spots - driver side front pillar (must be cautious of pedestrians) and driver rear quarter (lane changes) but these are typical of the aerodynamic styling. The switches are a bit annoying at first (I rest my thumb on the switch panel in order to accurately pick the options on the center display and usually end up hitting the driver seat heaters). Tall glasses or bottles in the cup holder can get in the way. Power seats with lumbar support would have been a nice feature or option. A CD with engine noises - to play when the kid in the rice burner next to you wants to race :-)